People/Business Moving from CA (&NY) to TX (&FL)?

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I heard "an expert" make this claim yesterday. He said it was because of taxes/unemployment and the prospect of even higher taxes to resolve CA fiscal issues. So I did a little research online this morning out of curiousity. Seems I can find more to support movement from CA to TX than vice versa, though I did find both.

Not looking for a political discussion AT ALL - everyone who cares knows the underlying politics!

I just thought these graphs were really cool! Black lines are incoming population, red lines are outgoing population (and where from) - using Los Angeles and Austin. People appear to be moving to Austin from all over. People appear to be leaving Los Angeles many headed for TX, WA/OR, Raleigh-Durham & Atlanta BUT folks from the Northeast are still moving TO LA.

6a01157246e6f3970b0133f1815887970b-pi

6a01157246e6f3970b0133f1815a49970b-pi

Last edited:
Very interesting! Based on the traffic here in central Texas, we know the people are coming, I think I heard somewhere that 85 people a day are moving here. Anecdotally, the ones who are leaving are pretty much job transfers where you don't have much of a choice. People who move here mostly don't want to leave. Interestingly, Austin is blue in a red state - people who come to Texas don't seem to get as "attached" to Dallas, Houston, or San Antonio.

At first I thought this was showing that everyone was moving to progressive Austin. :) but when you look at the LA exodus graph you can see that LAites are moving to a lot of locations in Texas. I have heard a lot about CA to FL but the traffic looks pretty balanced both way with maybe a tilt to the western FL panhandle.

That picture makes it look like California has been poked in the eye with a sharp object :sick:

As long as Texas continues to import more than it exports I think we're all safe. When the trade balance goes the other way, then it'll be time worry. :)

Interesting graphs Midpack, thanks for sharing them with us.

That picture makes it look like California has been poked in the eye with a sharp object :sick:
:LOL:

Regarding moving to TX... When we were transferred here about nineteen years ago, the city's population was around 19k. Now were over 87k...it won't be long before our town will be full.

Seems as if the housing market is picking up as the houses (in our neighborhood) that have been sold recently have not been on the market for over two months.

My last move was from California to Texas so I am part of the statistics. Also I moved from Texas to California in the move before. So done it both ways. Job transfers. And I am not from either state originally.

Very interesting maps. I'd like to see what some other states are doing. Wonder what the lines would look like if we put Mexico in the mix. Just a thought and YMMV.

I live in SoCal and here a LOT about people moving to Texas.
but I don't see it... at all.

A local forum about real estate/economics/etc. had a big discussion about this 2 weeks ago. Lots of folks speculating there was going to be a big migration due to taxes. No one who would admit they were actually looking for jobs in Texas or ready to move there. In fact the OP has just bought a second property... tying him even closer to SoCal.
Prop 30: Southern California vs Texas | Piggington's Econo-Almanac | San Diego Housing Market News and Analysis

I hear a lot of talk. I'm not seeing any moving vans. I'd be kind of happy to have less crowded freeways and beaches.

No state income tax in Texas. Property costs are modest. Economy pretty good. I would much rather retire in Texas than California due to the costs.
But if money was no object there are some nice places in California.

I moved to CA a few months ago. If people are leaving the state in droves, I can't see it. But my movers did say that there are more people moving out of the state than moving in and that it was creating somewhat of a challenge for them (too many trucks heading eastbound and too few heading westbound).

Oklahoma City is another place with more inbound than outbound migration. This is recent, since the big recession year of 2008. Boeing is moving jobs there from KS and CA. Wichita has gone net outbound since 2009, probably due to loss of aircraft jobs.

Go here and plug in whatever county/city in the US you'd like to see.

Thanks (sorry I missed the earlier link). Way cool.

A minor bone to pick with the site: My move is not shown in any of the years (actual 2007). I KNOW I was (as was DW) an exemption listed on a tax form that year and following. Oh well.

Last edited:
A minor bone to pick with the site: My move is not shown in any of the years (actual 2007). I KNOW I was (as was DW) an exemption listed on a tax form that year and following. Oh well.

To protect privacy, they only report when 10 (or more) people move to/from location A from/to location B.

omni

After all the taxpayers leave California, who will be left to pay the entitled.

Not everyone is leaving California.......just the people that own companies, create jobs and pay a lot of taxes. California is beautiful but expensive. Housing costs, taxes, sales taxes, food, just about everything except fresh produce is more in California. It's a shame but on the other hand, California is crowded......it can't be all bad if so many people still live there. Me? Can't afford it.....but I don't live in Texas either..wish i did.

Property costs are modest.

While California charges more upfront, Texas gets you on the annual fees.

Florida had a mass exodus about 7 years ago (hurricane and hurricane insurance playing a part). Texas had a mass exodus in the late 80s (oil crash) and Houston real estate took over a decade to recover.

After all the taxpayers leave California, who will be left to pay the entitled.
This is an interesting question. I think that the slaves are those who or whose spouses have become accustomed to an expensive lifestyle, but have not accumulated the capital to move to Nevada. They need those LA or Bay Area salaries. Nevertheless, I'd say that property in Nevada near Lake Tahoe is not likely to go down anytime soon.

Luxury condos on the strip or upscale gated communities in Las Vegas or the western LV exurbs should be OK too. One question I have is how long can Nevada remain free of an income tax? Macau is stealing some of their heavy artillery.

Ha

Last edited:
We've received online applications from people in CA to work at our workplace, interviewed them on the phone, hired them and they moved from CA for a job that pays average. They said they couldn't afford the apartments or homes anymore. One bought a home over the Internet here for $110,000 before she arrived and was thrilled. We were shocked the first time one actually showed up.

We also hired a maintenance man from Detroit three years ago, because he couldn't find work after being laid off of a twenty year job.

I don't know if its a trend, but I've personally observed it. I live in Texas, btw.

Back
Top Bottom