Where to live after ER Why?

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
Where to live after ER... Why?

If you've made your decision, please don't read this. It will irritate you and make you want to say why it's wrong.

Truth is, no one will agree with the following, and I'd be first in line to say why this is wrong, but it comes from reflecting on our life.

Simply... If you are retired, or planning to retire, and you want to make a change is where you'll live, it's a good idea to think ahead. Think ahead. Not what you want to do tomorrow, but where you may want to live for the next 30+ years. If that wonderful vacation to Somewhere, LN was the happiest week of your life, it's going to be tempting to go back there to live out your days.

If you are an itinerant traveller with mucho $$$, then it probably won't matter. You'll be comfortable Berne, Shanghai, Paris or Orlando. But... if the dollars matter, and the lifestyle matters, and you want a place to call home... then the time you take to research your new home, means doing your "home"work. You can do it by travelling all over the US, if that's your style, but you can save time, money, and narrow down the choices by using your computer to research the basics. Along the way you may find some interesting stuff that could change your mind, or at least narrow your choices... in line with what you can afford, as well as keeping your bucket list intact.

What's important to you? Make your list... Culture? Family? City? Country? Cost of living? Shopping/Restaurants/Entertainment? Distance from....? Healthcare/Retirement facilities? Neighbors -young, old, wealthy, average...? and how you'll fit in when you're 10 or 20 years older? Big house, small house, condo, country, in town, closed community? Social life?

There are some macro factors that (I think) shoud be considered when narrowing down this major life choice. This we normally don't think about when we've been living in one place for years. Just poking around here on ER, it's surprising to see the huge differences in things like income, salaries, pensions, home values and "$$$ we need to live comfortably. Yeah... like 100K+/year down to $25K/yr. or less. SURPRISE!!! A lot may have to do with where you live... the cost of living, the average salaries and the average home prices. Another factor is the average age of the locale. Like, do you know the average HH income for your town, and the places you're looking at to retire. A hint... from an octogenarian... younger ain't always better.

These are just a few of many, many points to consider when deciding where to live. Thing is... while nothing takes the place of "being there", a few hours of "home"work, can give some perspective as to the plusses and minuses of
the narrowed down choices.

I've used city-data.com to pull some comparisons of a few arbitrary cities to look at some age and money factors. Make of it what you will. No conclusions but just a few different place to look at. My town is at the top, so I used it to try to figure out why so many folks here seem to think that housing prices of 500K are normal.

Too many words... again. :blush:

City Median age - State Median age- HH Med income - Med house value

Peru,Il.................... 45...38....47K....128K
Boulder Co............. 29...36....5kK....584K
San Francisco CA.....38...36....92K....941K
Austin TX.................32...34...56K....235K
Tampa FL.................35....42...44K...190K
Seattle WA..............36....38...80K...530K
Raleigh NC...............33...38....57K...227K
Chicago IL...............34...37...51K....239K
Nashville TN............34...38...51K....185K
Las Cruces NM.........33...37...41k....154K
Boise ID..................35...37...55K.....209K
Des Moines IA..........35...38...49K....119K
Carson City, NV.........43...38...42K...237K
New Orleans, LA.......36...36...39K...316K

Last edited:
OK, I'll play. I added where I live to your list, but I used the county since it is the suburbs and the numbers for the little town I live in are probably not statistically significant. We want to eventually move somewhere cheaper, more for taxes than real estate reasons.

Frederick Co., MD.....38....38...84K...312K

I have a built home in northern Thailand that I can go to live when I'm ready bu to for now I'll be taking a couple months at a time, considering buying a place in Vegas because I love to gamble

Dallas, GA............. 33.1...36.4....49k....131K

More importantly...
Males 44.7%
Females 55.3%

:D

Does Med. Income matter to anyone? If so, why? I assume YOUR income is already fixed. Do you expect Med. Income to play a role in COL? In the type of people you'll have as neighbors? Just curious.

Does Med. Income matter to anyone? If so, why? I assume YOUR income is already fixed. Do you expect Med. Income to play a role in COL? In the type of people you'll have as neighbors? Just curious.

Median income could be a predictor for certain kinds of amenities, I'm thinking restaurants, off hand.

Yeah... so about median income... Remember that the idea is to look for where you want to retire. Where I live in Peru, the median income is 47K, and the median price home is 128K. Restaurant costs are accordingly low... even in the better venues. We can afford a very nice home here.

While I don't know restaurant prices in San Francisco, I'm guessing they might be a little higher. As far as home cost... for sure, I could never afford 941K.

Age?... This doesn't seem to make sense now, but in my town, the median age is 45... :)yeah... old. But we're old and it suits us. We fit in. If we were to live in Austin Texas, the median age is 32 and in Boulder, 29.. Even if we were in our 60's, a younger population might be hard to keep up with in 15years.

The thing is, if you do your homework, you might be able to match your wants and needs ahead of time, and not commit to a place that won't be right in the next several decades.

edit:
Don't miss this one. Check out the Taxes... In Illinois, we have two tax savings for seniors... one is a Tax Freeze, and the other a Homestead Exemption... Saves us about $2300/yr.
more here:
http://itep.org/itep_reports/2015/03/state-tax-preferences-for-elderly-taxapayers.php?gclid=CjsKDwjw0cXIBRCxjqnE3K3sHhIkAL1LezQEwxEatSyNH-9VkPOElTqmeFqSzIRsrCkRW-4xKo8LGgKQ2fD_BwE#.WRIz5eUrJQI

Last edited:
A week or two ago I was in your town of Peru to visit Starved Rock and Matthiessen parks. Thought it was a fine town.

Where I am; 35.5...36.2...80K...393K

Not looking and not going to move. I like it here - :)

Median income could be a predictor for certain kinds of amenities, I'm thinking restaurants, off hand.
The ratio between median household income and house value gives you some idea of the soundness of the real estate market.

Houses at 4X median income are manageable, values of 10X may not be sustainable in the long term.

We live in a small town in NE Fl near a large city. I researched for 6 years before retirement for a place to retire to and found we already have everything we were looking for conveniently located right here. The stats are:

48...45...68k...287k

In our case none of those stats were important to our decision.

Cheers!

Albuquerque, NM....36...37...48K...183K
Bend, OR...............37...39...53K...331K
Redmond, OR.........35...39...45K...198K

I added my current city, the city where I want to retire, and the nearby less expensive city where I might actually retire. I agree that having a younger population is not always an advantage - I suspect it leads to higher taxes for schools and other institutions and possibly more crime unless a major college town. For consistency I used the CD data but median home prices in Bend and Redmond are now closer to $376K an $260K respectively. But I have family in that area and have wanted to retire there for more than 20 years.

I was surprised at the high median home price for New Orleans of $316K. I assume those prices are for the city itself and not the entire metropolitan area as W2R posts portray New Orleans as a very affordable city. And I had family nearby with the same experience.

Edited: Austin median home price seems low. Zillow has $395K. I'm always skeptical of CD home prices and sometimes the data is several years old and home prices can increase fast in a hot market.

Last edited:
I'm building my house way out in the boon-docks knowing quite well that the day will come (if I should live that long) that I will have to move to the city. That's OK. I have an assisted living place already in mind. I have the resources to do that. Major factor for a city place is that it is within reasonable commute distance to DD and the mountain place. At this point cost, within reason, is not a top factor.

OK, I looked up our current, small suburban town in Texas:

29...34...52k...171k

We like it here; been here almost 40 years. But we'd also like a change of scenery at some point. At the moment, this is where the in-laws are, both kids, and the grandkids. So we're not going anywhere. At some point, the in-laws will be gone and the kids will have scattered. At that point, we'll either move someplace we really like, including some non-US options, or we'll downsize significantly and travel much of the time. That's the plan... until it changes.

Median Income and Happiness (Well-Being)

Many studies have shown that living around higher earning neighbors is associated with lower levels of self-reported happiness. Here are just a few links to both an academic article and populare press on the subject. There are many more available with a bit of Googling.

Not surprising to me, you don't want to take this too far and live in a really high poverty area:
Happiness gained from moving out of high-poverty areas – The Chart - CNN.com Blogs

This, in addition to the points already made in this thread, is another reason that I consider median income of an area when considering relocation.

I thought this was a good exercise; thanks imoldernu.

For me, in my relatively upscale northern KY town, the mix is good.

40 39 60 210

After traveling excessively for MegaCorp, I don't need the above charts to tell me where to live in early retiement.

As someone that's grown up on the lake, a waterfront lot is required. After 12 years dealing with debilitating traffic in Atlanta, I prefer a medium size town that's no more than an hour or two from large cities. For medium size cities to have sufficient culture, a university or two is preferred. And low property taxes and low state income taxes to go along with cheap housing is the icing on the cake.

I found many such cities on the Tennessee River with a very high lifestyle on a budget. There are also many southern college towns that fit the bill.

We have a 6 mile sunset view across the lake, and a boathouse that's 27 steps from our front door. Two incredible golf courses on our street--see https://www.rtjgolf.com/theshoals/. Our local music scene is incredible, and our theatre community is thriving. Three large cities are 2 hours out and the worlds' smartest city (Huntsville) is an hour away. We have no property taxes because my wife's on social security disability--but taxes are 1/4th that of the surrounding states.

And living "On Golden Pond" is just great.

Many studies have shown that living around higher earning neighbors is associated with lower levels of self-reported happiness. Here are just a few links to both an academic article and populare press on the subject. There are many more available with a bit of Googling.
This, in addition to the points already made in this thread, is another reason that I consider median income of an area when considering relocation.

I have enjoyed living in a neighborhood surrounded by wealthier double income couples for the last 20 years. I envy their kitchen remodels and frequent vacations but love that they are quiet, good pet owners, and keep up their property. That was not the case when I was growing up or in college living in poorer neighborhoods. Maybe those who have children have a different experience and are pressured by their children to be as generous as their neighbors and keep up with the Joneses.

Last edited:
We live in a small town in NE Fl near a large city. I researched for 6 years before retirement for a place to retire to and found we already have everything we were looking for conveniently located right here. The stats are:

48...45...68k...287k

Cheers!

I'm in SoCal now but I'm seriously thinking Jacksonville, FL. Access to airport, ocean and city. (An ocean one doesn't just look at, but can swim in.)

The biggest draw for me is I find the eastern US more interesting than the west. From Jacksonville, I can drive around through the southern states or a short hop to visit US major cities. And I like the overall weather.

Thanks for posting this OP.

48...45...68k...287k

Cheers!

So do I, it is does not happen to be a Historic College Town by any chance..... :)

Many studies have shown that living around higher earning neighbors is associated with lower levels of self-reported happiness.
I'll take all the high earning neighbors I can get. They are much less like to do home invasions, street muggings or random shootings. Some rich person shoots somebody it is usually a wife or husband, and since I am not nor ever will be married, not my problem.

Ha

Last edited:
I'll take all the high earning neighbors I can get. They are much less like to do home invasions, street muggings or random shootings. Some rich person shoots somebody it is usually a wife or husband, and since I am not nor ever will be married, not my problem.

Ha

Yep. And there is a map that has come out (I am sure there is a post on it here somewhere) that shows county-by-county life expectancy and the factors you mentioned are prevalent in the 5 counties (out of 159) of Georgia that have the highest (80+ years old) life expectancy.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/08/health/life-expectancy-by-county-study/

Oh and I have had added my locale to the chart:

Albuquerque, NM....36...37...48K...183K
Bend, OR...............37...39...53K...331K
Redmond, OR.........35...39...45K...198K
Atlanta'ish, GA...44...36...108K...340K (my zip code specific)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom