Perseids anyone?

donheff

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Laid out on a lounger at my weekend place to watch the meteors last night. I saw some pretty nice ones averaging about 1 per minute. Nothing like the Orionids several years ago but pretty good. It's nice to be able to stay up in the wee hours on a Thursday night and not have to worry about work in the morning. :) Last night was the peak but there should be stragglers tonight for those of you who are interested.

It's been a while since I watched them. Oone August we were staying at Chisos Basin in Big Bend and we got up at 3 a.m. and went outside a ways and had a terrific show! With quite a spectacular mountain backdrop. Talk about optimal viewing conditions.

I really enjoyed it except that I was convinced a mountain lion was going to pounce on me at any moment!

Audrey

We have had full cloud cover due to the fizzled almost-tropical-storm that dumped inches of rain here yesterday and isn't done. So, watching last night was out of the question.

If things clear up a little tonight then Frank and I will enjoy the view. He is an amateur astronomer so I think he will enjoy it even more than most. If the clouds remain, then we will have to watch the Perseids another year.

I saw this meteor shower when camping on top of a mountain in Vermont, after a hike in 1959, give or take a year. I will never forget it!! Our summer camp counselors who accompanied us on this hike, apparently had no idea that there would be a meteor shower and they went right to sleep. We pre-teen girls were astonished and stayed up counting the meteors in that black, black sky as we lay there in our sleeping bags on that mountaintop... unforgettable!!! :D

I watched them around 11PM CDT and saw five in about 15 minutes. Not bad but my viewing location was not good, Our home is in town so lots of neighborhood lights and trees. We will try tonight when we get to the lake house as it is in the country and should be much better viewing.

I watched last night :) This is my annual b-day tradition (yesterday). I stay up late - take a class of champagne, go watch the sky falling and contemplate life, the universe and everything.... I live a couple of blocks from the Columbia river and last night, watched from a large boulder that sticks out into the water. Last night I also saw some beavers, a family of skunks and 2 kids making out near the dock. Good stuff.

It's been a while since I watched them. Oone August we were staying at Chisos Basin in Big Bend and we got up at 3 a.m. and went outside a ways and had a terrific show! With quite a spectacular mountain backdrop. Talk about optimal viewing conditions.

I really enjoyed it except that I was convinced a mountain lion was going to pounce on me at any moment!

Audrey

Given your location, I'd consider that a real possibility. I always worry more about lions than bears.

We were socked in last night so no show. Was 100F today. Tonight is looking better but need for it to cool off more and get a little darker before we get a good view.

We have a group here that has been getting for the Perseids for more than 30 years. This year we went out on the morning of the 12th and saw a few nice ones also about 45 per hour. It was cloudy here the evening of the 12th so didn't get a second chance.

I watch whenever I can, but it has been storming around here for a good part of a week. No moon, no nothing. Oh well, we need the rain.

I happened to wake up thursday night and go out and watch for a while. I saw a few, maybe one a minute. Will there be any tonite (sunday) should I awaken?
Steve.
PS. Yes, I love not really caring if I sleep or not during this nice retirement time in my new life.

I happened to wake up thursday night and go out and watch for a while. I saw a few, maybe one a minute. Will there be any tonite (sunday) should I awaken?
Steve.
PS. Yes, I love not really caring if I sleep or not during this nice retirement time in my new life.
If I remember correctly they stretch out for a while on each side of the peak but all that means is you may see a couple over an hour or two. Thursday was the big day, Wednesday and Friday OK days, and outside of that not so much.

Back
Top Bottom