Personality disorders among us

Prosopagnosia is estimated to affect up to 2% of the population.
A matter of degree rather than an absolute, often a matter of stress and consequent interference with social relations and certain jobs that rely on personal contact with many persons.
I have had some personal experience in this, as a challenge in my work as a sales promotion manager that involved meeting with hundreds of different people in many different parts of the country. Extra work in taking notes, studying pictures before meetings, learning workarounds to avoid using names, so that few would notice or feel slighted.
Now, it's easier to blame it on advancing dementia, (which I am also experiencing).
A major in Psych leaves me with one certainty... that it's easy to overthink or overanalyze psychological disorders. A work in progress.

Prosopagnosia is estimated to affect up to 2% of the population.
A matter of degree rather than an absolute, often a matter of stress and consequent interference with social relations and certain jobs that rely on personal contact with many persons.
I have had some personal experience in this, as a challenge in my work as a sales promotion manager that involved meeting with hundreds of different people in many different parts of the country. Extra work in taking notes, studying pictures before meetings, learning workarounds to avoid using names, so that few would notice or feel slighted.
Now, it's easier to blame it on advancing dementia, (which I am also experiencing).
A major in Psych leaves me with one certainty... that it's easy to overthink or overanalyze psychological disorders. A work in progress.
I certainly can't tell from your writings that there is any evidence of dementia. I have a bit of experience with this. My mother has been in a nursing home for 3 years afflicted with such. As a 65 year old youngster I would be most interested in your always very illuminating views in reference to this topic.

Quote: Originally Posted by haha
It seems to me that labeling someone with a personality disorder is just a more powerful way to say that you don't like them.

If two people don't get along, is there some judge who can say which one has the personality disorder?

I agree with this. I think the medical community and society tend to medicalize behaviors too much.

Sorry. If haha was referring to all PD types, what he stated was one of the most ignorance thing I've seen from him. If one had not experienced a close encounter with an NPD, one does not really know how bad a PD can be. It is impossible to live with one unless you are also an NPD - misery loves company. If haha was referring to HPD and its wiki description, it may make sense. But I don't know much about HPD as much as I know about NPD.

Last edited:
Robnplunder - so true on the NPD. He thinks everyone else is crazy and that he is the only normal one around.

Exactly. My NPD family member thinks everyone is not doing right for him when everyone has deserted him b/c of his NPD ways. Number of us has tried to make him see a doctor and his answer has been always, why do you all think I am crazy?

As is often my observation, determining what is "normal" can be tricky. But I've read that if you take your worst day, then multiply it by 1000, and you will have some understanding of bipolar disorder. Plus, there's often anxiety, panic, and obsessive-compulsive tendencies as well.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Very interesting -- thanks. How does one get to the raw data in 23andme?

One more comment on the bipolar front.

Some folks with depression and/or bipolar disorder, that are non-responsive to the normal meds given, might have a genetic mutation of the MTHFR gene. This is an issue in our family, and it's VERY easily treated by giving the person bio-available forms of b vitamins. The defect causes a defective version of the enzyme that breaks down b-9 and b-12 into a form that can cross the blood/brain barrier... The defective enzyme only breaks down about 10% effectively. Without these methylized forms of the vitamins the neurotransmitters aren't properly regulated... (It also prevents the proper breakdown of homocystines - which can lead to heart/stroke issues).

So if you know someone who has issues with depression/bipolar/OCD, etc... and they're not responsive to meds... suggest they do genetic testing for the MTHFR gene. You can get the info from 23andMe (although you have to go look at the raw data.)

Very interesting -- thanks. How does one get to the raw data in 23andme?

I suspect getting the data from 23andme was laid right out up until the FDA (and wotinhell does the FDA have to do with genetic testing) put the stop on 23andme "dispensing medical advice" by providing information to each person on their own private genetic makeup. That is something that should only be available by going to a doctor who can order each genetic test individually - no fannying about getting all the tests at once at a modest price! Or being able to alert your doc to your private genetic predilections.

Only a little bitter about our wasted $200....

I suspect getting the data from 23andme was laid right out up until the FDA (and wotinhell does the FDA have to do with genetic testing) put the stop on 23andme "dispensing medical advice" by providing information to each person on their own private genetic makeup. That is something that should only be available by going to a doctor who can order each genetic test individually - no fannying about getting all the tests at once at a modest price! Or being able to alert your doc to your private genetic predilections.

Only a little bitter about our wasted $200....

There is a company that does medical analysis for 23andme.com customers about for less than $10. I believe they get the data directly from 23andme.com for their report. I did it for DW & me. For details, please search for 23andme.com in this site and look for my posts.

The report says I don't have a longevity gene, DW have 12 times risk of an eye disease, etc.. Very long report which have not deciphered fully yet.

The best advice a doctor has on NPD is to stay away from them.....

Which is why it is so awful if you're stuck working with some one with a personality disorder, especially if that person is your boss, and is allowed by management to get way with all the sociopathic toxic behavior. :(

Ah well, I guess not having to be around the toxic boss anymore makes ER all the more enjoyable! :cool:

Last edited:
As is often my observation, determining what is "normal" can be tricky. But I've read that if you take your worst day, then multiply it by 1000, and you will have some understanding of bipolar disorder. Plus, there's often anxiety, panic, and obsessive-compulsive tendencies as well.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Yes, I have heard this is a good way to describe a PD. Not an annoying personality trait, but a pervasive life-affecting disorder. I have a friend who sees undiagnosed attention-deficit disorder in anyone who gets the least bit distracted and then I think of DS's friends whose lives are in turmoil as a result. Not the same at all.

There is a company that does medical analysis for 23andme.com customers about for less than $10. I believe they get the data directly from 23andme.com for their report. I did it for DW & me. For details, please search for 23andme.com in this site and look for my posts.

The report says I don't have a longevity gene, DW have 12 times risk of an eye disease, etc.. Very long report which have not deciphered fully yet.

Thanks - have a report churning away right now. An extra few bucks to make 23andme approach the functionality it had before November 2013 is well worth it. Big hopes.

Promethease.com

Oh HE yeah! that $5 each unlocked the 23andme I was trying to buy last year!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom