Votes: 2 1.2%
  • ISTP

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • ESFP

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • ISFP

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
I agree also. Sometimes I am around people who just wear you out. They never stop talking and don't say very much at all. I am just so glad that I did not marry someone like that or I would have been divorced years ago. I am also grateful that my children are not like that either.

Dreamer

Yup, it isn't that we introverts don't like people, it's just that they exhaust us.

For the other 11 INTPs, take a gander at the INTP website.  I found the detailed description to be very accurate (well, of course except for the stubborn part, right, DW? :D) and helped me understand myself a bit better.

http://www.intp.org/intprofile.html

Thanks!  I especially relate to the part about introverts being unable to explain their state of being to extroverts: the deriving energy by being alone vs. deriving energy by being with people thing.

One of my personal challenges is traveling extensively with a confirmed extrovert, and trying to explain the "maybe we can go our own way for most of the day" reality before the need becomes urgent. 

Nords said:

tozz said:
Thanks!  I especially relate to the part about introverts being unable to explain their state of being to extroverts: the deriving energy by being alone vs. deriving energy by being with people thing.

One of my personal challenges is traveling extensively with a confirmed extrovert, and trying to explain the "maybe we can go our own way for most of the day" reality before the need becomes urgent. 

INTP here. Another internet forum that I posted on for years found a similar excess of the INTP INTJ types, substantially beyond the general public.

That supports the theory that innies prefer to find our social interaction on the computer where we can control the time and extent of interaction.

The other board was a group of "childfree by choice" women, and we postulated that we had a surfeit of introverts because the idea of being responsible for another human 24/7 for 18 (or 30) years made us cringe. We also were more thinking and less impusive.... in other words actually thought about whether we wanted children before having them.

Interesting food for thought.

Sheryl said:
The other board was a group of "childfree by choice" women, and ......

Interesting food for thought.

INTP here. I have two kids, 5 and 9. Occasionally they will go to gramma's for a weekend, and I realize how incredibly liberating it is just to be able to hear myself think. I have no point other than to remark that when you're an intp, even your own family can 'exhaust' you :)

- John

Great article. It really nailed me.
I have always wondered why I don't mind being alone. I didn't know why after getting together with a friend(s) for several hours, I would begin to get tired and couldn't wait to leave them to go home where I would begin to regain my energy.
Wow!

MJ

Kronk said:
Yup, it isn't that we introverts don't like people, it's just that they exhaust us.
For the other 11 INTPs, take a gander at the INTP website. I found the detailed description to be very accurate (well, of course except for the stubborn part, right, DW? :D) and helped me understand myself a bit better.
http://www.intp.org/intprofile.html

I scored as an INTP on the short test. On the longer test I think I scored as a ENTP.
It was very close to the middle between the I & E.
But the info on the link you provided was accurate for me in many way.
After reading it; I'm not sure if I like myself! :confused: :-\

I have always been (both by testing and by practice in the extrovert category).

In my opinion, whether you are extroverted, or introverted, a good start in the ability "to play well with others", is a good sense of humor, and the ability not to take yourself too serious.

(Raising children forever cured me of the last part.) ;)

I'd actually encourage you to take the time to take the test. Perhaps it is only pseudo-science (I've read articles about plenty of psychologists who think personality typing is bunk), but I've found it to be helpful in understanding my (and others') reactions to the world around me. But in order to get to that point, you need to do more reading than what is involved in merely taking the test. It was definitely worth the time investment for me.

I'm an INTP, DW is an ESFJ. Apparently in some cases opposites do attract. ;) Though, oddly, most of the time we reach similar conclusions, we just get there through very different mental processes.

Some people are close enough between types that more knowledgeable people than I refer to it with an 'x'. So you might be an xNTP. Also, some people capitalize the letters they are strong in, and use lower case for those that are closer to the middle.

Which would make me: InTp (strongly Introverted, moderate Intuition, strongly Thinking, moderate perceiving)

Kronk said:
I'd actually encourage you to take the time to take the test.

I imagine some of the Exxx's couldn't care less about their type. If I had been reading up more I probably could've narrowed it down to a couple of types. The xxTx's seem to really get into it, though, especially xNTx's. And Libras...oh wait, sorry, wrong venue.

I too am somewhat suspicious of typing--or for that matter all psychology--but it did help me feel more validated (try not to puke too much) and explain why I don't seem to relate well to most people...or at least not relate to people as others do.

ENFP here. Been retired since 1/2/2004 at age 56. Gives me the freedom to be authentic. ERed from the government as a scientist where I was stifled big time. Life is so much better. Moved to the coast and bought a new sailboat and house after selling the old one. The new house and boat cost about the same as the house I sold. Much better than taking an HELOC. Life is good. I can now pursue what I want!

The I versus E is very interesting - when people meet me, they would probably peg me as an E, but as my husband knows, if I don't have my alone time to recharge, I'm a bear. It is about energy - people feed off of my energy versus me feeding off of theirs, hence the need to recharge doing what I want to do and not having to focus on someone else's agenda or needs.

I remember doing a modified Myers-Briggs (True Colors) seminar at one of my previous employment places. Two things, most of the participants were technicians and very strong ISTP/J's. Scared the heck out of the moderator as she had a majority of the population minority in her class and that particular type hates this personality typing (being naturally skeptical about everything). Was hilarious to see her cringe and try to compensate. Next was the E/I determination - basically they asked if you were the person at the party who had to leave early because you lost energy or if you were the die-hard who stayed because it enervated you....E's feed on the external energy, I's on the internal energy. I had those pegged from our group right away :)

Bridget

I don't know how this affects the E vs. I continuum, but in answering that shortened Myers-Briggs test for the E-I question, I was sort of in the middle. If I'm at a party/gathering with strangers, I'm not very outgoing. If it is a close group of friends or close family, then I'm rather extroverted and comfortable. For me, it depends on the situation. I believe someone else here brought up that critique of the Myers-Briggs type tests - their results are valid only some of the time, and personality is largely a function of situation. That how I feel at least.

justin said:
I believe someone else here brought up that critique of the Myers-Briggs type tests - their results are valid only some of the time, and personality is largely a function of situation. That how I feel at least.

They're valid when I'm stubborn or otherwise antisocial. :D

INTP! INTP! I'm not a jerk, this is how I'm supposed to be! :D

justin said:
I don't know how this affects the E vs. I continuum, but in answering that shortened Myers-Briggs test for the E-I question, I was sort of in the middle.  If I'm at a party/gathering with strangers, I'm not very outgoing.  If it is a close group of friends or close family, then I'm rather extroverted and comfortable.  For me, it depends on the situation.  I believe someone else here brought up that critique of the Myers-Briggs type tests - their results are valid only some of the time, and personality is largely a function of situation.  That how I feel at least.

I tend to dominate all social venues (surprise surprise) :)
Relatives, friends or total strangers..........doesn't matter.
I never saw this at all until I became a bachelor and started
dating at age 53. Lots of useful feedback. Anyway, some people
like it and some don't. No surprise there I guess.

JG

BigMoneyJim said:
.... and explain why I don't seem to relate well to most people...or at least not relate to people as others do.

I'm like that too, I have my own way of getting to know people. I just don't feel truly confortable until I have had a chance to get down and sniff the folks in the room.

Woof! Woof!
Ha

MRGALT2U said:
Even though I score INTJ
in spades, I actually like people (that is not quite right.......I enjoy a lot of
people but I see more morons than most of you do). If you take the whole
population, then I am underwhelmed big time. That said, I am gregarious
in the extreme. I talk to everyone whether I know them or not.
I'm not kidding. What do you make of this? Okay, anyone who has posted
here 6000+ times obviously likes the sound of his own voice, but still..... :)

JG

It is my understanding that the term "introverted" as it is used in the M-B context, does not mean a person is shy. It means that their sense of self-worth emanates from within themselves, as opposed to deriving it in large part from others. An "I" person can still be gregarious.

I think that one of the reasons that I's are so common in this forum is that a person who derives self-worth from themselves is more immune from the "keep up with the Jonses" syndrome, and perhaps is less likely to run with the lemmings in other ways. Both of these help in attaining FI, and probably are qualtites that also help with the RE part.

INTP myself

My wife says I'm either a BRAT or a PITA, but I don't see those options in the poll and she won't tell me what they stand for.

*shrug*

INTP's Unite and take over the world !

Oh wait, then we'd have to get together... maybe after I get just one more home project started... :)

John (INTP)

Back
Top Bottom