Votes: 2 1.2%
  • ISTP

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • ESFP

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • ISFP

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
Introverted thinkers are the overwhelming majority.

Michael said:
Introverted thinkers are the overwhelming majority.

Any thoughts as to why on a RE board the overwhelming majority would be Introberted thinkers?

dex said:
Any thoughts as to why on a RE board the overwhelming majority would be Introberted thinkers?

I believe being in Itroberted and thus more Earny. Helps them reach
FI sooner.

JG

Coming up to the finish line,

it's INTJ and ISTJ neck and neck

and the winner is
all current ER and future ER members of this forum.

MJ :D

Interesting even with our self selected small sample size that the results are holding up to be similar to what Intercst found several years ago.

INTJ -

20 years ago when I discovered that I was an INTJ, I also found that there were very few of them around - less than 1% of the total population.  Now I see that INTJs and their close cousins, the ISTJs, make up approximately 60% of the ERers and the ER-wannabees, at least at this Forum!!!

Who'da thunk it?  It sure puts an interesting twist to who is a good candidate for ER and who is likely to expire at their desk. 

Other observations?

JohnP

If I get around to it, I'll run the same poll over in the trombone forum.

Off-the-scale unambiguous INTP, here.

(I wonder what it is that makes Myers=Brigg personality tests so absolutely fascinating to INTx's! This topic never seems to come up in the Britney Spears forums that I frequent.)

Here is a observation which might amuse. Intercst cited findings that 40% of MENSA members had "IN" personality types. As of now, more than 50% taking our poll have that type. According to Intercst, only 5% of the general population are "IN" types. http://www.retireearlyhomepage.com/mbti.html

(not that this is scientific or anything)

My wild guess would be that introverts tend to make their own decisions on how to live their lives, rather than just go along with the crowd. Thus retiring before the crowd says they should is not a problem. The thinking aspect indicates that they make decisions based upon logic, rather than feelings. If the introvert decides to retire early, the thinker would then figure out how to accomplish this goal efficiently.

Of course, this is just a theory. I don't really know.

Here are some famous INTJs:

Famous INTJs:
Alan Greenspan, federal reserve board chairman
Dan Aykroyd (The Blues Brothers)
Susan B. Anthony
Arthur Ashe, tennis champion
Augustus Caesar (Gaius Julius Caesar Octavianus)
Jane Austen (Pride and Prejudice)
William J. Bennett, "drug czar"
William F. Buckley, Jr.
Raymond Burr (Perry Mason, Ironsides)
Chevy Chase (Cornelius Crane) (Fletch)
Phil Donahue
Michael Dukakis, governor of Mass., 1988 U.S. Dem. pres. candidate
Greg Gumbel, television sportscaster
Hannibal, Carthaginian military leader
Veronica Hamel (Hill Street Blues)
Angela Lansbury (Murder, She Wrote)
Orel Leonard Hershiser, IV
Peter Jennings
Charles Everett Koop
Ivan Lendl
C. S. Lewis (The Chronicles of Narnia)
Joan Lunden
Edwin Moses, U.S. olympian (hurdles)
Martina Navratilova
Charles Rangel, U. S. Representative, D-N.Y.
Pernell Roberts (Bonanza)
Arnold Schwarzenegger, Governor of California
Josephine Tey (Elizabeth Mackintosh), mystery writer (Brat Farrar)
Rudy Giuliani, former New York City mayor
Donald Rumsfeld, US Secretary of Defense
General Colin Powell, US Secretary of State
Lance Armstrong
Richard Gere (Pretty Woman)
Katie Couric

U.S. Presidents:
Chester A. Arthur
Calvin Coolidge
Thomas Jefferson
John F. Kennedy
James K. Polk
Woodrow Wilson

Michael said:
My wild guess would be that introverts tend to make their own decisions on how to live their lives, rather than just go along with the crowd. Thus retiring before the crowd says they should is not a problem. The thinking aspect indicates that they make decisions based upon logic, rather than feelings. If the introvert decides to retire early, the thinker would then figure out how to accomplish this goal efficiently.

Of course, this is just a theory. I don't really know.

Plus they tend to not need a bunch of people around, so retiring away from the social aspect of work doesn't scare them.

Or "innies" are not very friendly and outgoing and spend their time figuring out ways to avoid having to go to work so they can sit at home playing on the computer. :eek:

Do whatever makes you happy, as long as you don't hurt other people.

Nords is right about age changing things - I've slowly migrated from ENFJ to ISTJ - actually, my E/I, N/S and F/T were about 50% each but my J is off the chart - and as my life bane I end up working with strong Ps :)

Bridget

Laurence, the lone ENFP, "All by myself....." :'(

Seriously, are ENFP's (5% of general population BTW) just that in love with work, or are we just too incompetent to save for retirement? :p :)

Any thoughts as to why on a RE board the overwhelming majority would be Introverted thinkers?

Remember also that we are on an Internet forum here. That is, each of us is sitting (probably alone) in our room rather than out at some social gathering.

IOW, in addition to selection by being on the RE forum, our population is also restricted to computer types.

I tried to duplicate this poll on the Trombone Forum, but they won't allow 16 options. Oh well, the differences would have been interesting.

It looks like I am the only ENTJ who voted. Odd, because depending on how far into introversion vs. extroversion one is, ENTJ is pretty close to INTJ.

I guess I just prefer more activities "with others". Hey, I've heard that phrase somewhere before...  :)

Ha

HaHa said:
It looks like I am the only ENTJ who voted. Odd, because depending on how far into introversion vs. extroversion one is, ENTJ is pretty close to INTJ.

I guess I just prefer more activities "with others". Hey, I've heard that phrase somewhere before...  :)

Ha

Disclaimer: I have no idea what this means. Even though I score INTJ
in spades, I actually like people (that is not quite right.......I enjoy a lot of
people but I see more morons than most of you do). If you take the whole
population, then I am underwhelmed big time. That said, I am gregarious
in the extreme. I talk to everyone whether I know them or not.
I'm not kidding. What do you make of this? Okay, anyone who has posted
here 6000+ times obviously likes the sound of his own voice, but still..... :)

JG

Martha said:
Or "innies" are not very friendly and outgoing and spend their time figuring out ways to avoid having to go to work so they can sit at home playing on the computer. :eek:

Martha, although I'm of the "issies" tribe, you have found me out. :'( :-\ :-* ;)

Nords said:
I think it's time once again for that classic article on the Care & Feeding of Your Introvert.

It's not that I don't like people, it's just that sometimes I get so darn tired of them!

That's a fantastic article. Very insightful. I don't think I've read it before. The intro describes it as humorous, but I thought it was all very straightforward.

JG, I am not shy in most situations, but if the social/public encounter involves or is likely to lead to judging me or commenting on my choices then I find I have much better things to do. I'm quite anxious in dating, sales and job interview situations. (Perhaps that's more J/P than E/I.) I think introversion isn't necessarily shyness but a way of relating to oneself and others.

Back
Top Bottom