Personality Type (modern, not Myers Briggs)

Checked the thread on the city-data forum. A lot of superficial judgment by someone using the handle FiveL....., oh, never mind.

Checked the thread on the city-data forum. A lot of superficial judgment

As opposed to the cogent, closely reasoned, thoroughly researched, well documented, completely referenced, impartial, nonpartisan, statistically significant, peer reviewed, and well written analysis to be found on most other forums. :LOL:

As opposed to the cogent, closely reasoned, thoroughly researched, well documented, completely referenced, impartial, nonpartisan, statistically significant, peer reviewed, and well written analysis to be found on most other forums. :LOL:

I noticed you clipped the pertinent part, but it still warrants a :LOL:.

Last edited:
BIG5-graphic.php

I always find some of the questions hard to answer (a lot of the outgoing stuff). I'm an extrovert, but shy, so yeah, I'll talk to lots of my friends at a party, but put me at a party of all strangers and I may be leaving early.

I did not find the results that telling... did not seem to be me... the Briggs Meyer seems to suit my personality much better...

I did not find the results that telling... did not seem to be me... the Briggs Meyer seems to suit my personality much better...

That's fine. Results are based on how you described yourself, but I understand a lot of people here like the Myers Briggs and are more familiar with that.

I don't think, when I started the thread, that I took into account how complex the Big 5 model can be (at the level of sub-traits, which this test doesn't get at). I think interpreting the results can be a little tricky. In contrast, M-B has these nice neat categories with flattering labels, and you can sum yourself up in 4 letters. However, for me, something has to be scientifically grounded to be worthwhile, and M-B just isn't.

"In social science, we use four standards: are the categories reliable, valid, independent, and comprehensive? For the MBTI, the evidence says not very, no, no, and not really."

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/give-and-take/201309/goodbye-mbti-the-fad-won-t-die

The best thing the MBTI does (or was a part of rather, since it reflected Jung's thinking) is that it made introversion a positive concept, and not a negative one. I think that's another reason it appeals to introverts. A lot of psychology has cast aspersions on introverts, made them sound pathological, and added to the social stigma around introversion. The MBTI helped counter that perception and provide introverts with a way of valuing that trait in themselves, rather than feeling as if something was wrong with them. I think that's a large part of its appeal. That and lots of marketing and trademarking. ;)

Last edited:
I am neurotic, introverted, not especially conscientious, but have big ideas. I sound like a jerk. Or maybe I was in a bad mood.

Back
Top Bottom