photogram: my gayborhood stonewall festival

lazygood4nothinbum

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
preface: diatribers are free to comment from within their own threads in the soap box catagory. this is not a political thread, this is photos of a block party at my house. thank you.

Broward beckons South Florida gays from Miami-Dade -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Welcome to Broward County,the new center of gay South Florida, where even dinner on a weeknight is community-building. Leaving behind its heady days of South Beach excess, South Florida's gay community has moved north and redefined itself. Call it settling down. Calling it finding the comforts of home...
South Beach now has just a few gay bars. Broward, on the other hand, has more than 150 gay-owned businesses and more gay bars than anyone can keep count of, places where you can eat a burger, watch a Marlins game, dance country and western, play competitive billiards, take in a drag show or share quiet conversation and a bottle of wine...

Last year, 1 million gay visitors contributed $1.2 billion to the local economy, according to the visitors bureau.

everyone should go to at least one gay pride parade. you'll see freaks, meet friends, you'll have fun. you'll experience the rare instance of an oppressed crowd on a public street luxuriating in self-acceptance.

here's our version of celebrating a Stonewall Street Festival - Pride of Greater Fort Lauderdale.

the new york times dubbed us gayberry rfd. here's why:

our side streets were blocked off so hopefully no one would be parking on our lawns like they've done in the past. the main street through town is barricaded for our gay pride parade saturday night followed by an all day street festival on sunday.

img_673232_0_e5eb55d14dcf2184969ee8fa336847ed.jpg

here the main stage is set up just blocks from casa lazy

img_673232_1_bb65d857a3bd1b60ebad93489344d76c.jpg

i think she was delivering party supplies

img_673232_2_bcc992eb3e0da47180c823928a1df6ac.jpg

my cousin accompanied me as my official fag hag for the evening. she's very into parades. we got lots of beads and whistles and candy.

img_673232_3_1c9be9f5ee236b957b4026c4254065d9.jpg

img_673232_4_1b6e317a6bb13d80adcf861ee9faa48b.jpg

img_673232_5_19c720f73f8a97ff9140c14b74f079c8.jpg

img_673232_6_eedada2cf036f8c122e26593e18376d1.jpg

img_673232_7_bd8d35039aeb42a75df35729db45311d.jpg

i think she's real (just in case you were wondering) but i wouldn't be on it:
img_673232_8_5193f2e68f3dc00d02581c35e0cf23a3.jpg

i know he's real (woof):
img_673232_9_9cc9e87f2cd697336d5b5c3bab7c458a.jpg

img_673232_10_02f8b4bf1da23a55f60d6bd9bdae6d44.jpg

img_673232_11_9241304631ba0eb543b111cd259bcd39.jpg

img_673232_12_2bc032f476b44948ba37672f6bd336d9.jpg

a real flamer (i can say that, ya know):
img_673232_13_e56e9b3c6c7448c186e6e449c8bf9f93.jpg

img_673232_14_1d5120d9882a43de34315cfdc1963bed.jpg

i thought these were going to be the dykes on bikes who rolled through last year but they were just a bunch of leather guys.
img_673232_15_244b98bb1235383e6c3f1a0c5c291c9c.jpg

img_673232_16_4164ad444b07689aded3e55cab748a77.jpg

party at my house:
img_673232_17_5c56c069fb8199e8f546246d47a869dc.jpg

no gay pride parade is complete without one of these:
img_673232_18_84a2b91ef3da5ba04157fec25b83aad3.jpg

the finale is our rainbow flag which is a few blocks long, because, as you might have guessed, we like'm big.
img_673232_19_31f10f98aaf200de89ddb8269769cd49.jpg

the festival continued today, even in the rain. nothing stops these guys from a good party

img_673232_20_ba33031d673c55868dfb21295fb825ce.jpg

img_673232_21_c506d80dfbc019ae84d26b3883c34b0e.jpg

img_673232_22_2078447e14de56bc6139c4c8b91d420b.jpg

img_673232_23_de29daa66debe0a4632b91f7c40cd9ec.jpg

and of course, what gay event is complete without a drag show
img_673232_24_17c687ab68b928ed8d0d5070da256c58.jpg

Looks like fun.

And a good time was had by all. Great pix. Looks like you all had a blast.

My all time favorite gay guy is from there . Sorry lazy it's not you( you are second ) It is David from Design Star fame . I'm crazy about him . He is so talented . He so outshadowed the other contestants . Anyway sorry to go off track that parade looks like fun !

Great pictures.

I looked locally and see there was a Gay Pride event with parade in Dayton Ohio.

Probably a bit downscale from your local one.

I shall have to remember and attend next year.

Good times, Lazy. I saw way more elaborate gay pride get ups at a Greenwich Village Halloween Parade one year, that was a blast, but yours looks fun! Were there any gurrrllls there, or were you only taking pics of the fairer sex?

i think she's real (just in case you were wondering) but i wouldn't be on it:
Freudian slip there, LG4NB ;) ? I assume you meant that you wouldn't bet on her being real?

But maybe I'm further confused? It's a gay parade, she could be a 'real' lesbian, right?

-ERD50

Nice pics, lazy. Looks like lots of fun. Used to go to the odd parade in Greenwich Village back in the day and it was always a fun time.

Although I am not a party person, I gotta admit it looks like fun---and a celebration of a very significant historical event.

Lazy, I am totally convinced that you missed your calling. With your skill in photography and writing, you could have been a terrific photojournalist. It's not too late....

Looks like fun.
&
And a good time was had by all. Great pix. Looks like you all had a blast.

ya, very fun. it's so amazing to me in my life to have gone from having to live in the closet in order to keep my friends in elementary & later high school & to have to live in the closet in order to advance at a corporation to then be able to walk a few blocks from my house and enjoy a pride parade, right down main street u.s.a.

who would have thought? wow.

just imagine going in your life from worrying about some guy coming at you with a baseball bat just because you asked him for a date, or being arrested for asking a guy to come home with you who turns out to be an undercover cop harrassing gays and then being able to be yourself on a public street and to talk to any man there without fear. imagine being able to finally breathe. it is amazing.

My all time favorite gay guy is from there . Sorry lazy it's not you( you are second ) It is David from Design Star fame . I'm crazy about him . He is so talented . He so outshadowed the other contestants . Anyway sorry to go off track that parade looks like fun !

oh yeah? well just for that, you're only my third or fourth favorite sarasota person. so there.

Great pictures.

I looked locally and see there was a Gay Pride event with parade in Dayton Ohio.

Probably a bit downscale from your local one.

I shall have to remember and attend next year.
&
Made me look also. Denver, too, has such a parade.

Parade revels in Pride progress - The Denver Post

Will pencil it in for a peek next year.
&
Nice pics, lazy. Looks like lots of fun. Used to go to the odd parade in Greenwich Village back in the day and it was always a fun time.

i would think str8 people (i'm assuming) would really enjoy this. everyone's drinking beer and smiling and having a great time. people laughing at themselves. what's not to like? ok, well, there was one thing not to like: they didn't throw enough beads.

Freudian slip there, LG4NB ;) ? I assume you meant that you wouldn't bet on her being real?

But maybe I'm further confused? It's a gay parade, she could be a 'real' lesbian, right?

-ERD50

um, ooops. funny. well, that certainly is one sheer slip. cause i'd neither be on nor bet on and i don't need freud to either hide or excuse that.

as to her orientation, she could have been celebrating her heterofaghaggetry for all i know. didn't strike me as a lesbian but then, i only have gaydar, not sonar.

"if you don't dive, you're not a lesbian." ~~sex in the city

hmmm, thanx, i guess, for giving me some confidence in my prejudging abilities, having already put wyoming on permanent ignore after just reading her posts once or twice in the past.

i wonder, having not been moderator-admonished, if it is either the general scientifically held position of the forum that sexuality is a preference and not an orientation--has anyone here yet corrected the american psychological association--or that wyoming was innocently or ignorantly or in good-hearted jest merely offering useful information instead of simply being overtly confrontational, rude & disrepectful to a poster & who specifically requested that disparaging remarks be restrained or at least expressed elsewhere.

this thread has been vilified. wyoming has rained on my gay pride parade.

Although I am not a party person, I gotta admit it looks like fun---and a celebration of a very significant historical event.

Rain fails to dampen spirits at Wilton Manors gay pride celebration -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

The festival marks the anniversary of the June 1969 Stonewall riots in New York City. After Judy Garland died, some members of the gay community met at the Stonewall Inn in New York City to mourn the loss of an icon. Police raided the bar and the patrons fought back over three days of rioting. The riots served to galvanize the gay community, said Bill Greeves, with the Stonewall Library and Archives in Fort Lauderdale.

Last edited:
lazygood4nothinbum;673579. wyoming has rained on my gay pride parade.[/quote said:
Not trying to rain on your pride parade, but it is unrealistic for you to post in one forum and ask that any replies be posted in another. I do think this is another example of you up on your gay/bi/trans sexual soapbox, which is why I requested that this thread be moved where it belongs.

bww, lazy has started a number of threads of photo documentaries of 'everyday life' in his area. They have been well done, well received here, and I personally have enjoyed them.

This is another in his series. It's not something I would have gone out off my way to see, so this little series was interesting to me. Maybe he'll cover the 4th of July parade next?

Lighten up and you will enjoy life more.

-ERD50

Not trying to rain on your pride parade, but it is unrealistic for you to post in one forum and ask that any replies be posted in another. I do think this is another example of you up on your gay/bi/trans sexual soapbox, which is why I requested that this thread be moved where it belongs.

:rolleyes:

Then i hope your future/past heterosexist posts are all sent to the soap box too...:p

As far as I know, if this thread were about the green tomato festival, it would not be requested to be moved...

Lazy,

Thanks for posting the photos! We have a big annual event here in the DC area celebrating the gay community. Look forward to your next round of pictures.

Nobody forced you to read this thread...perhaps next time a thread has the word "gay" in it, you can refrain from reading it.

Why Obama support? I guess I'm not surprised but I dont think his position on gay marriage is anything spectacular. That's all independent of the Donnie McClurkin thing and I can imagine what his church thinks of gay marriage.

Does look like fun though :)

:rolleyes:

Then i hope your future/past heterosexist posts are all sent to the soap box too...:p

As far as I know, if this thread were about the green tomato festival, it would not be requested to be moved...

?? "heterosexist posts" ?? Move this thread to the SOAPBOX where it belongs; I would like you to show me examples of this...

Why does a neighborhood party picture thread belong in the soapbox? I'm confused...

Why Obama support? I guess I'm not surprised but I dont think his position on gay marriage is anything spectacular. That's all independent of the Donnie McClurkin thing and I can imagine what his church thinks of gay marriage.

Does look like fun though:)

Are you talking about the GREAT Donnie McClurkin who is a gospel singer?

Washington Post - Donnie McClurkin, Ready to Sing Out Against Gay 'Curse'

Donnie McClurkin, Ready to Sing Out Against Gay 'Curse' (washingtonpost.com)

What is the connection between Mr. McClurkin, Mr Obama and your reference to his church?

Why does a neighborhood party picture thread belong in the soapbox? I'm confused...

I beleive it became a political issue when Mr. Obama's name was mentioned in the post thus this thread might belong in the Soap Box.

Whether one believes that he is right or wrong Bigwonderfulwyoming has made a request for the thread to be moved to the Soap Box and as such his request should be considered by the moderators.

God Bless Us All:angel:

I beleive it became a political issue when Mr. Obama's name was mentioned in the post thus this thread might belong in the Soap Box.

Whether one believes that he is right or wrong Bigwonderfulwyoming has made a request for the thread to be moved to the Soap Box and as such his request should be considered by the moderators.

God Bless Us All:angel:

If lazy requested that any replies (I believe he referred to them as diatribes, much like the one of his own which he promptly launched into...) be posted in the Soapbox, then his original posting belongs there, too. Just requesting consistency between the original posting and the considered replies. These gay pride demonstration photos are a Soapbox issue, not a few feel-good photos of the neighborhood block party. Lazy knows it , but feels like he can smugly avoid any responses by requesting that replies be banished to a different forum.

LG4NB's pictures don't belong in the Soapbox any more than my pictures of our town's recent Memorial Day parade. They are just pictures of a parade. Comments on the quality of the photography, whether it was a fun day, etc. are appropriate in this thread.

It was thoughtful of LG4NB to anticipate that some might want to reply regarding homosexual political/rights issues, which would be appropriate for the Soapbox, and to suggest that such respondents do just that, so that we could enjoy the pictures without the political fight that many find distasteful.

Back
Top Bottom