Picasso

Jazzy thread. It touches on one of the things w*rk is keeping me from, or at least restricting me, a passion for art and art history. Recently a co-worker came to me to say there was an exhibit at the MoMA that I would have to see, she wanted to discuss it as I was the only one she knows who would get excited about it. Picasso’s vast oeuvre, according to this thread may be an acquired taste, you think? He isn’t one of my favorites but there is no way to avoid him either culturally, historically, etc. etc. The exhibit which I attended twice with extreme joy, was about American artists who were directly influenced by him.... ERD50, your mention of the Chicago Art Institute gets me drooling. Where do they keep the Seurat now? Top of the stairs?

ERD50, your mention of the Chicago Art Institute gets me drooling. Where do they keep the Seurat now? Top of the stairs?

I don't recall where it is exactly, but I don't think they have moved it in my lifetime. But the 'La Grande Jatte' is definitely another 'must see' on every visit. It's so large, you can hardly miss it!

10.jpg

Georges Seurat (French, 1859-1891)
A Sunday on La Grande Jatte -- 1884, 1884-86
Oil on canvas, 81 3/4 x 121 1/4 in. (207.5 x 308.1 cm)
Helen Birch Bartlett Memorial Collection, 1926.224
Gallery 205

I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to art, but the impressionists at the Art Institute always 'touch' me somehow. Manet, Monet, Pissarro, Lautrec, Renoir, Gauguin, Cassat, Van Gogh - what a list...

E38433_WM.jpg

C49967_WL.jpg

-ERD50

edit/add: view them all here: Art Explorer: Impressionist and Postimpressionist Images and Resources of the Art Institute of Chicago's Collection

but much better in person!

All of this discussion about painting inspired me. Today I touched up a wall that had been looking pretty bad.

I love this topic! I absolutely love the Renaissance masters...but I paint in an abstract/modern genre. I didn't like Picasso either when I studied him in college; but I have learned to appreciate him as I got older. Anyone who can see something differently, paint it, and change the norm gets my respect.

A lot of modern art leaves me cold also. But, that is one of the great things about art, music, etc. What one person things is trash, the next might think is the greatest thing ever.

I studied a lot of art.. and never really liked Picasso either (tho' I did have a poster in college of that café scene). I do appreciate the fact that he was capable of the basics and then took risks pushing the envelope, paving the way for a lot of 'modern' art culminating in conceptual art a la Yoko Ono (from memory so paraphrasing one of her art 'koans' here: "Write the book of your life. Write it in your own blood. Keep writing until you die.").

I appreciate very little of the current art scene, since it seems to continue to be largely based on such concepts which are now so widespread as to fall to the level of gimmicks. The first time someone presented a urinal, or an all-white canvas, it was intriguing and provocative given the context of that era; the second and third and 100th time.. who cares? Jenny Holzer and Barbara Kruger created quite a buzz when I was in college.. but uh.. what have they done for us lately? To my mind a lot of today's artists only rely on "concepts" and skip the "art" part.. proceeding directly to 'craft' and mass-market fabrication. Kruger's art, once mildly interesting and provocative, instantly became the lingua franca of every punkzine and is now quite mainstream. Unlike even the slightest of Picasso's sketches, anyone can do it.

The things that puzzle me most are the 'installations'.. I don't think I've ever seen an 'installation' that made me think "cool!" or "wow!". I don't know who 'buys' them.. though I know they are sometimes sold. Once you do "Broken Kilometer" (a Km of metal rod chopped up and arranged neatly on the floor.. what's next? "Broken Mile"? "Broken Fathom"?

If you have $250 burning a hole in your pocket (aside from plane fare) you can go see this:
Walter De Maria: Lightning Field

Here's a room filled with dirt:
Walter De Maria: The New York Earth Room

Oy.

This cracks me up:
"Broken Kilometer" is a companion piece to "Vertical Earth Kilometer" which consists of a brass rod one kilometer long buried vertically in the ground outside the Museum Fridericianum in Kassel for Documenta VI in 1977. This piece is impossible to see beneath the ground, therefore the reality of the rod pierced through the earth for one kilometer needs to be taken on faith.

Other works made by Walter de Maria which need faith to believe their dimensions are his earth rooms. Walter de Maria has made three earth rooms during his career so far. His first was called "50 m3 Level Dirt" made in 1968 which filled the Friedrich's Munich Gallery with dirt to a depth of one meter. It was impossible to view the entire gallery space to see if it was entirely covered, for the viewer could only see it from the doorway. The viewer had to either imagine the work or just simply believe that it did exist as described.
AE160D Unit 13: Walter de Maria

Uncle Honey.. those Chiluly pieces are wild.. the chandelier-types are your canonical Venetian chandelier on acid.
item511b.JPG

Venetian (Murano) blown-glass chandelier
although even the 'normal' ones are pretty trippy (as above) .. and yes, I have seen these things in people's houses. Can't imagine how they clean them!
Are you referencing a particular object of his at your link? Or are you saying the whole school itself is his best 'creation'? I agree passing on rare skills and techniques is priceless and quite admirable!!

Even Renaissance masters used studio workers, so that's nothing particularly new. Nor is self-promotion and politicking. Even in Murano, many of the low-priced, accessible gee-gaws sold in the studios are now produced, erm, "somewhere to the East" of Murano.

Are you referencing a particular object of his at your link? Or are you saying the whole school itself is his best 'creation'? I agree passing on rare skills and techniques is priceless and quite admirable!!

Even Renaissance masters used studio workers, so that's nothing particularly new. Nor is self-promotion and politicking. Even in Murano, many of the low-priced, accessible gee-gaws sold in the studios are now produced, erm, "somewhere to the East" of Murano.

The school will probably be his legacy to the world long after he is gone, much more so than his glass.

i think it makes a big difference as to whether or not you look at one piece or a portfolio of the artist's work.

to look at one piece of chihuly you might say, "what the hell is that?". but to visit one of his installations as i have done at fairchild tropical garden, you might say, "wow. that's pretty cool." and then i watched a pbs special showing his process and i'm ready to fire up some glass of my own.

i very much enjoyed a picasso retrospective presented by his daughter at the miami museum of art maybe 10 years ago already but it has stuck with me. there must have been at least two levels of the museum devoted to his paintings, drawings, sketches and if i remember right some sculpture. whether or not you like it, the talent of the guy can not be denied.

unlike, say, a one hit guy, like american pie. great song, but how much talent was really there is debatable.

Chihuly's bowl shapes strongly remind me of Georgia O'Keefe:

Chihuly:

chihuly_at_phipps_01.jpg

Maybe it's just the whole concave/folds/female thing, but i gotta think Chihuly was strongly influenced by one of my favorite artists. And i like the work he directs too.

The bowls were my fave, too.. but not the primary color ones, this one:
0761m1_c.jpg

Don McLean did have at least one other hit: Vincent, ironically enough, a song about Vincent Van Gogh...

Don McLean (and Picasso)

Didn't he write "And I Love You So", too, which was a hit in the U.S.? Not that I liked it when I was a kid but I appreciate the song better now.

I read that said song was nominated for the Grammy but "Killing Me Softly" won as best song in the same year (IIRC in 1971). Ironically, "Killing Me Softly" was written about Don McLean.

With only one humanities class required for a business degree, I only knew of Picasso's abstract art while going to school. I didn't learn until years later that he started with masterly-drawn representational stuff. I don't get abstract art most of the time so I guess I liked Picasso better when I found out he could actually draw and paint subjects that looked like the real things.

Guernica is in my opinion the most powerful painting of the 20th century. It commemorates and gives human emotional outlet to the devastation of that day. It was the first instance of terror bombing of a civilian population. The bombing of Guernica was a trial run for Nazi air tactics during the larger war to come.

Guernica - bombing of Guernica

Picasso wanted it to go to Spain, when Spain had again achieved a republican government. MOMA wanted to hang on to it. I am very happy to have seen this magnificent work many times before it left. I hope to be fortunate enough to see it again.

Ha

Guernica is in my opinion the most powerful painting of the 20th century. It commemorates and gives human emotional outlet to the devastation of that day.

Ha

We studied Picasso's Guernica in a High School Humanities class. When they projected it on the screen, my reaction was along the lines of the OP - what is this messy scribble?

Then they explained what it represented, and I was in awe of the thing. It's an amazing and creative way to cram the confusion, devastation and emotion into 2 dimensional monochrome. I'm not even sure I could handle seeing it in person.

The musical parallel for me is Coltrane's 'A Love Supreme' - the real beauty and intensity of it just did not hit me until I understood what was behind the song.

-ERD50

Guernica is in my opinion the most powerful painting of the 20th century. It commemorates and gives human emotional outlet to the devastation of that day. It was the first instance of terror bombing of a civilian population. The bombing of Guernica was a trial run for Nazi air tactics during the larger war to come.

Guernica - bombing of Guernica

Picasso wanted it to go to Spain, when Spain had again achieved a republican government. MOMA wanted to hang on to it. I am very happy to have seen this magnificent work many times before it left. I hope to be fortunate enough to see it again.

Ha

I agree that it is the most powerful painting of the 20th century. I wish that I could have had the privilege of seeing the work in its full size real life splendor. It probably would bring me to my knees.

Back
Top Bottom