Planning My Own Death - Name That Tune

Two possibilities, both with a religious overtone:

Robert Plant and Alison Krauss, "Your Long Journey"

"I'll Meet you in the Morning"- an Applachian folk song with many more flamboyant versions on YouTube but I prefer this simple a capella version done at graveside by a group of Mennonites.

Last edited:
Sarah Brightman and Andrea Bocelli

or
Whitney Houston "I will always love you"

Last edited:
There is no need for anyone else to record that song. No one will ever do it as well as KD Lang

I prefer the John Cale version. KD does this little vocal slide into the note in her version, and for whatever reason I find that really annoying.

As far as my personal suggestion to the OP, I've always planned on having "Ripple" by the Grateful Dead.

Mark Knopfler: Piper to the End

Once you have your list, consider actually downloading them and making a CD so when the time comes, the family will have an easy time incorporating them.

cd :O)

Two more suggestions, from Jethro Tull ('82, Beast and the Broadsword) "Slow Marching Band" and "Cheerio"

Once you have your list, consider actually downloading them and making a CD so when the time comes, the family will have an easy time incorporating them.

cd :O)

You read my mind about the CD. One step more, I'm gonna put the songs on a re-writable CD as a song I choose today may not make the cut 10 years from know while I'm still kicking.

Great suggestions on the ideas and songs.

I like the mood at times somber then uplifting and inspirational too.

Some songs I've decided on and am considering (not in any order):

If tomorrow never comes - Belinda Kinnaer (Found this version on Youtube. Even like more than the version by Garth or Manilow)

Both Sides Now - Joni Mitchell

For a Dancer - Jackson Browne

Until We Meet Again - Dougie Mclean

amazing grace - piano instrumental

Always On My Mind - Willie Nelson (I like Elvis' version, but like Willie's even more)

For the tear jerkyness usually considered appropriate for the occasion:

"Goin' Home"
"Wayfarin' Stranger"
"Last Rose of Summer"

For making a "Final Statement" on your way out the door with fantastic word pictures:

Blunt: "El Paso"

More Philosophical: "Highwayman"

Ironic/Philosophical: "Up, Up and Away, in My Beautiful Balloon"

My uncle always said the Intermezzo from Cavallaria Rusticana sounded like the "musak" playing in the lobby before you enter the Pearly Gates.

The title led me to think this was about how to bump yourself off - I was surprised the mods hadn't removed the thread.

What a Wonderful World
When the Saints Go Marching In (trivia - this was played at the end of Walter Cronkite's funeral)

I'm surprised, with all the irreverent types in here, that no-one has mentioned "Always Look On The Bright Side of Life" by the Python gang. When I went back to the UK for my father's funeral, I was pleasantly taken aback to find it on the list of tunes provided by the chapel. Understandably, it is quite popular. I'd be more than happy to have it played at my funeral.

I was going to post the YouTube link but some religious folk might find it offensive, so I thought I'd play it safe :)

Funeral for a Friend Elton John

Not somber nor topical if you read the lyrics, but it would make me smile from the grave: Goodbye Goodbye by Oingo Boingo.

Last edited:
If you like sad (sounding) songs, here is my favorite :)

It was used in the Ken Burns series THE CIVIL WAR.

There are numerous versions available.

Some folks seem to like Sarah McLachlan's Arms of an Angel

Since the song is actually about heroin addiction, it never appealed to me for a funeral, but I have heard it used and it is very beautiful.

Hope you don't need any of these songs for a very long time!!

Another Mark Knopfler (THE man for lyrics) Heart full of Holes

"Well, if we go to heaven
And some say we don't
But if there's a reckoning day
Please God, I'll see you
And maybe I won't
I've a bag packed to go either way

......//.......

It's a wonder to me -
I still don't understand
Why I ever survived to be old
With a heart full of holes
A heart full of holes
A heart full of holes"

Funerals are for the living. I have an agnostic viewpoint about death: not atheist, but just saying that I don't know. Still, considering a myriad of possibilities, I seriously doubt that I am going to even be able to hear any music that is played. Why should I pick the songs, when possibly the songs I pick might not even be liked by anybody in attendance?

So, I am thinking that anyone nice enough to attend a funeral for me, should be allowed pick a song for the playlist if they want to.

If they need one song from me, to get started and set the tone, then here:

Last edited:
I haven't given it much thought. My wife says she wants this one, at least among the secular songs in the memorial service:

Blunt: "El Paso"

"Streets of Laredo"

final two verses:

When thus he had spoken, the hot sun was setting.
The streets of Laredo grew cold as the clay.
We took the young cowboy down to the green valley,
And there stands his marker, we made, to this day.

We beat the drum slowly and played the Fife lowly,
Played the dead march as we carried him along.
Down in the green valley, laid the sod o'er him.
He was a young cowboy and he said he'd done wrong.

Willie Nelson has been suggested. Alison Krauss has been suggested.

Here's Allison singing a Willie song:

Just thought of another one -

Requiem by Eliza Gilkyson. The best recording is by Conspirare but it's not available on YouTube. This one is the best I found:

Back
Top Bottom