Planning My Own Death - Name That Tune

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Getting some affairs in order and signed my will today :).

Now, I'm in the process of building instructions and wishes to family members when I go. Among others are songs I may want played at my visitation/funeral.

What I'd like to do have many candidates to choose from then eventually settle on about 10 or 15 songs. Any suggestions?

I'm thinking more of pop songs but am open to including Amazing Grace or spiritual ones if they feel right.

Do you like country and western?

Yes, I do. Feel free to suggest away :).

I love that sad Patty Loveless song for a funeral "How Can I Help You Say Goodbye" but that song is more for a loss of a mother than myself.

Vince Gill, "Go Rest High on That Mountain"

Vince Gill, "Go Rest High on That Mountain" - 40 Saddest Country Songs of All Time | Rolling Stone

Though it sounds like an old standard, Vince Gill wrote "Go Rest High on That Mountain" in 1994, inspired by the death of country great Keith Whitley due to complications from alcoholism in 1989. Though Gill began writing the song after Whitley's death, he finished it following the death of his own older brother in 1993. Despite the devastating lyrical content and tragic circumstances, it's noted for its spiritually optimistic note. Plenty of others thought so too, as the song won two Grammys that year and received the BMI award for "Most Performed Song" in 1997.

That's a really good song. I never knew the song was inspired by the death of Keith Whitley. I always thought that song was written about his older brother alone.

Solemn - "When They Ring The Golden Bells" - I like the Natalie Merchant version

Light - "The Things You Leave Behind" - Amy Rigby cover (Lenny Kaye)

Last edited:
Try "Already Gone" by The Eagles.

Willie Nelson: Nothing I can do about it now

Thanks. Keep the suggestions coming. I'm gonna have to do some listening on Youtube or elsewhere to sample them :).

I'd want this one, but not in a church of course.

"The Prayer." It's been performed by artists including Andrea Bocelli, Josh Groban, and Celine Dion and probably many more.

I have also always liked "In the Garden."

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Another thought is "Brothers in Arms" by Dire Straits. A little more solemn.

Killer Queen
Death on two legs
I think I'm going to kill myself
hate me

ok, maybe these are for before the funeral

sorry, a bit warped today

There is no need for anyone else to record that song. No one will ever do it as well as KD Lang

Most funerals I go to have live music, or at least a piano and a singer.

I went to a 2nd cousin's funeral, and they played an Alan Jackson gospel album. It was almost comical in some ways, as the cousin was a really funny guy.

Little did we know that record floods would happen the next year, and my cousin's mausoleum was flooded and his casket was literally floating. Now they moved him 5 stories higher.

A 5 story mausoleum? Wow!

Songs

First two that come to mind;
Queen -- Who wants to Live forever
Mercy Me -- I can only Imagine

First two that come to mind;
Queen -- Who wants to Live forever
Mercy Me -- I can only Imagine

I have performed "I Can Only Imagine". It's a beautiful song, but I guess its suitability would depend on how religious your survivors are.

How close are you to the edge?

Getting some affairs in order and signed my will today :).

Now, I'm in the process of building instructions and wishes to family members when I go. Among others are songs I may want played at my visitation/funeral.

What I'd like to do have many candidates to choose from then eventually settle on about 10 or 15 songs. Any suggestions?

I'm thinking more of pop songs but am open to including Amazing Grace or spiritual ones if they feel right.

Israel "IZ" Kamakawiwoʻole - Somewhere Over the Rainbow

Alison Krauss - I'll Fly Away

Eric Clapton - Tears In Heaven

Norah Jones - Come Away With Me

...and don't forget Norman Greenbaum - Spirit In The Sky :)

That's good to know, thanks!

I've had a lot of death and it still scares me everytime I think about it.

One of the "joys of the golden years" eh?

Have fun!

I lived in Hawaii for four years and was fortunate enough to hear IZ sing this song. It's on my funeral song list.

Back
Top Bottom