political dialogue in USA

How would you compare today's political dialogue in the US with what it was pre-1990?

• Nothing's changed, it's always been combative.

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • The dialogue is more combative and less civil now.

Votes: 34 75.6%
  • The dialogue is more civil now.

Votes: 1 2.2%

• Total voters
Martha said:
Generally, I don't want to hear what one "man on the street" has to say.  Except here.  Among the creme de la creme.  Or hoi polloi.  Whatever.

C'mon, say it: the gutter.

I was listening to NPR a lot last year, but I found that they would frequently spend 20 minutes at a time reporting in detail on something that was A) very distressing to me and B) completely and irrevocably beyond my control.  It was like being tortured very slowly with small implements while driving.  No thanks.

Diaper Bunny said:
Its a lot funnier if you wanna kick his ass.  Work with me here?

OK. I'd happily kick him in the balls if the opportunity presented itself (and I could post an "after" picture on teh forum).

Diaper Bunny said:
Well, when the resident pacifist wants to kick your ass, you've probably become a bit of a problematic a-hole.
It may just be semantics, but there is a difference between a conscientious objector and a pacifist.  The first one just refuses to be a mercenary ass-kicker on religious grounds while the second one refuses to kick anyone's asses at all.

I think there's a punchline concerning that-- "Pacifist my a$$, I want to kick something!"

brewer12345 said:
I was listening to NPR a lot last year, but I found that they would frequently spend 20 minutes at a time reporting in detail on something that was A) very distressing to me and B) completely and irrevocably beyond my control. It was like being tortured very slowly with small implements while driving. No thanks.

Funny thing, same here -- NPR and its programming are losing me. Not to be uncompassionate, but if I hear one more 20 minute interview on a poverty stricken or oppressed or grieving family in the third world I think I'll go crazy. I know it's sad. I give to causes. But I'm not educated or even entertained by this over and over.

Or today, for example, an endless drone about a "sound sculpter" who took his cello bow, went to the Mexican border, held a stethoscope-type microphone up to the customs wall, and played it with his bow. Now THAT"S good reporting.

Anything better on satellite radio?

What happened to providing information and allowing me to come up with my own views, opinions, etc.?  Silly pundits.

I've turned the sh!t off.

Good for you. Our local news station (from a town of about 60,000) is much better than anything I have seen, mostly small town facts. Turn it to the Minnepolis/St. Paul stations, and it is TERROR AT 10! ::)

Both NPR and Fox News are full of ****.

Rich_in_Tampa said:
Anything better on satellite radio?
Isn't that where Howard Stern went after he finished his NPR contract?

I listened to that guy when he was a tiny little rock & roll DJ in Washington, DC 25 years ago. Who could've predicted what he'd mutate into...

I get my news strictly from NPR, but yes, I've been listening to less and less because my anxiety keeps rising at a faster and faster rate. Every car bomb that kills 50 Iraqis just adds to that. :(

Illuminating replies.  You can always count on this group for varied, honest and interesting replies (and some fighting words, but that just makes it all the more interesting  ;))

Even though I remember strong feelings and strong words between politicians over the years concerning all the tough, divisive issues at hand,  I had to vote for "more combative and less civil today". 

Consistent thread throughout a lot of replies:  shallow, ratings-hungry media and pundits.  I remember seeing the old Crossfire years ago on PBS before it was called PBS (I think they called it NET for Nat'l Educational Television).  It was hosted by a middle-aged Bill Buckley, who, of course had some pretty strong opinions.  But the debate was much deeper and well thought out than the new-age Crossfire-type shows.  As Bill Bradley referred to the conversations "rat-a-tat-tat." 

Seems to me something happened, maybe in the late 80s and the beginning of the 90s.  The political strategists jabbed sharper, the media got less substantive, the moderates in Congress retired and talked about how the nature of the discourse changed for the worse. 

Even though we had George Wallace, the '68 Democratic Convention and all the chaos, we did have Uncle Walter (good point, delfina), somewhat less posturing and more governing and fewer recommendations to "excite the base" from the consultants.

I'm afraid to create a poll for the next obvious question:  Can we get it back?

This hype behavior will stop when folks stop buying into it. Even the local news opens with "Breaking news...", give me a break!!

If there weren't a payoff they wouldn't do it. Perhaps educators and commentators will start critiquing the motives, actions and impact so that people will see it for what it is, a sucker's game.

Brat said:
This hype behavior will stop when folks stop buying into it.

Brat, this brings up another point. Do "we the people" just get what we ask for? After all, the news divisions and political consultants are marketers that guage what the market wants and deliver the product.

How much of the problem, and I think it's fair to say we have a problem, is due to the voting (non-voting?) public? Have we lost our civic gene? Has the education system failed us in this regard? Have we lost our attention span due to technology? Are we just too fat and happy?

califdreamer said:
Have we lost our attention span due to technology?
I'm sorry, I was flushing my cache. What was the question again?

Back
Top Bottom