Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Did you learn to sleep in after retiring?
Yep, I sleep quite a bit later than I did during my work years. 58 47.15%
Nope, Iím still up about the same time now, with or without an alarm. 65 52.85%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Did you learn to sleep in after retiring?
Old 02-02-2018, 03:39 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Poll: Did you learn to sleep in after retiring?

I’ll let you decide which answer best fits your expectations. I guess if pressed I’d say sleeping in is an hour or more later than your work alarm time.

For all my working years, I set an alarm and got up at somewhere between 4:45a to 5:30a, my work start time and morning routine changed some over 35 years.

I rarely set an alarm now, and I expected to learn to sleep in a little. But after more than 6 years retired, it’s rare I sleep past 6:00a and I’m usually up around 5a. DW sleeps until 7a Mon-Fri and later on weekends. Maybe I’ll still learn?

Target AA: 40% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 25% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2018, 03:47 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I can't vote! I slept till 8 am the majority of my life. For the past 3 years I have been getting up at 7:30 to let the housekeeper in and walk to school with my DS.

NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 03:48 PM   #3
Administrator

I needed to get up at 6 for most of my career, 5:30 for the last 2 years. Rarely sleep past 7:30 these days, wake up refreshed nearly every day. I love it.
Old 02-02-2018, 03:49 PM   #4

Before retiring one of my "dream fantasies" was to buy a huge wooden mallet about a foot in diameter and set the alarm for 4:30 AM, my normal wake-up time then. On the first day of retirement the dream was to set the alarm as usual, and set that mallet by the bed. When the alarm went off I wanted to use that mallet to smash the damn thing.

I didn't do it though, because I realized I'd probably have to buy a new nightstand because then DW would complain about the scratches it would make and the chances of finding a match for a 30-year-old nightstand were about zilch. That meant living out the dream would snowball into having to spring for a whole new set of bedroom furniture, and that just wasn't worth it.

Now it isn't uncommon for me to sleep in until 9:00 or even later. DW still gets up at 6:00 AM. I have no idea what for, she's always been an early riser.
Old 02-02-2018, 03:52 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I had a job that was always flexible on when I had to show up, so I rarely set an alarm. And now that I am retired, I also rarely set an alarm. (I do want to make sure I get to the airport in time to catch my flight whenever I have one.)

I will say in the hot summers, I get up earlier to get in a great bike ride or a dog walk before it gets too hot. I've crossed paths with Alan (posted above) a couple of times when I've done that.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 03:58 PM   #6

I said no, but I actually do get up a little later than when I was working.........but not a lot later. Basically, I wake up naturally as the sun starts to rise now, as opposed to having the alarm wake me up about an hour before sunrise. It feels great
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 04:00 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

I still get up early, just not quite so early, and I can lay in bed as long as I want!
Old 02-02-2018, 04:02 PM   #8

I relish early morning and the solitude. Here's my early AM daily punch list.
-up around 6
-walk the dog
-fire up the Kiuerig
-decide what I'm making for breakfast (DW & self)
-peruse the news, read blogs & forums (mostly this one)
-pay bills and any other financial "putzing"
-decide if and which chores to attend to for the day
-consider if any upcoming travel needs attending
-start breakfast
-greet DW around 8
-pinch myself to make sure the day isn't just a dream while at work.
Old 02-02-2018, 04:03 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I thought I would get up later, but dog doesn't let me. Might get an extra 30 minutes of sleep.
Old 02-02-2018, 04:05 PM   #10

So much more to do in ER I'll never sleep in.
Old 02-02-2018, 04:10 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Great idea for a thread!! Like many others, I am so used to getting up early (5am) that I find it really hard to sleep much later than that. I go to the gym early, always have so I keep that routine.
But at least we can nap now!
irishgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 04:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
I actually do get up a little later than when I was working.........but not a lot later. Basically, I wake up naturally as the sun starts to rise now, as opposed to having the alarm wake me up about an hour before sunrise. It feels great
This
Old 02-02-2018, 04:13 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Oh yeah, big time. Used to drive a long way to work and got up early.

Now I get up whenever usually between 7 and 8. I kinda follow the sunrise, so should be earlier as the days get longer.
Old 02-02-2018, 04:13 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

Pretty much the same hours. Unless I had an early morning meeting, the alarm, during working years, was set for 6am. I'm a morning person, so kept my 10pm or so bed time once I retired. I wake up some time between 5:30 and 6:00am.
TrvlBug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 04:17 PM   #15
Administrator

I sleep much more in retirement than I did while working - at least 2 hours additional, more restful sleep.

Decades of training, mother nature, and rheumatoid arthritis all make sure I'm up early, so I have a hard time sleeping past 6 or 6:30. Still, my morning (usually) starts off relaxed and not stressed, and it is without doubt my favorite part of retirement.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 04:31 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

In my last year of w*rk, we were getting up at 4:00 a.m. to be on the road at 4:45 to drive 100 miles to our offices. You'd better believe I sleep in now! I'm usually up between 6:50 and 7:30.
Nightcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 04:32 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I unplugged the alarm after RE. (Maybe I should donate it one of these days). I usually wake spontaneously by 6 am or so, but most mornings I enjoy the luxury of being able to relax until I feel like getting up.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 05:01 PM   #18

I canít see polls on my iPad.

I definitely sleep longer & later than when I was employed. When w*orking, I usually got seven hours of sleep a night (up at 5:00 am). Now I sleep 8-9 hours a night, naturally waking up sometime between 7 and 8 am.

Iíve decided I went through at least 20 years of sleep deprivation.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 05:11 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I’ll let you decide which answer best fits your expectations. I guess if pressed I’d say sleeping in is an hour or more later than your work alarm time.

For all my working years, I set an alarm and got up at somewhere between 4:45a to 5:30a, my work start time and morning routine changed some over 35 years.

I rarely set an alarm now, and I expected to learn to sleep in a little. But after more than 6 years retired, it’s rare I sleep past 6:00a and I’m usually up around 5a. DW sleeps until 7a Mon-Fri and later on weekends. Maybe I’ll still learn?
^ that is me to a T after 20 months into retirement. I don't think I have yet stayed in bed till after 6. I have way to much to do don't want to waste my time in bed. LOL

People die in beds. LOL
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 05:14 PM   #20

Depends on a number of factors. Where we are (tend to go to bed earlier and get up earlier in the west, Alberta or Arizona). Time of year (get up with the sun to some extent). What is planned for the day, if anything. How “exciting” the night before was.

Having said that, I have actually forgotten when I used to get up for work. I think it was 6-630am? I now get up from 6-8am depending on the factors I listed. So maybe a little later?

Only use an alarm when we have an early morning flight. Even then don’t really need it.

Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote