Poll: Do you brew or buy your morning coffee?

How do you get your morning coffee?

• I (or SO) always brew or prepare my / our morning coffee at home.

Votes: 167 74.6%
  • Usually brew at home, once in a while buy already brewed.

Votes: 26 11.6%
  • I / we usually buy morning our morning coffee already brewed.

Votes: 6 2.7%
  • No coffee in for morning for me / us

Votes: 25 11.2%

• Total voters
Home usually, Costco beans of some sort, a drip machine, or the occasional K-cup, times four.

I like the taste of arabica beans, and I found San Francisco Bay organic arabica beans at Costco. I grind fresh each cup and use the Bonavita dripper. I use a blade coffee grinder, but read that the burr grinder is superior....maybe I'll try one someday.

I used to use a Keurig but I have returned to a grind and brew with 8 o clock coffee whole beans.

When I first retired, I tried every brand of coffee sold by my supermarket just to see which was my favorite. It was Dunkin Donuts by far. So, for quite a few years I bought that brand at the grocery store, and prepared it at home in my Mr. Coffee.

But for the last year or two or three, I have changed my habits. I have been buying Maxwell House instant, and using hot water from my hot water kettle to make it. One of these days, I should make DD coffee again and see if I still like it better.

I detest Starbucks coffee almost as much as I detest the idea of driving to get it, before coffee... and the same goes for other coffee that I could go out and buy. I am almost inhuman before coffee. The closest Starbucks is 0.4 miles away from me but it's not worth the walk IMO.

I too sometimes buy Maxwell House instant coffee. It really is not bad, and perhaps there is also some nostalgia involved for me, as I recall my parents drinking it when I was a child.

Do not like Starbucks either. Find it bitter and likely to run through me in a fast and inconvenient way, if you get my drift.

Dunkin Donuts is my preferred brand when traveling.

At home, if I brew rather than instant I have lately been partial to some ground coffee imported from Switzerland that I can get at Walmart for about $6 per bag. Brand starts with a G, but cant recall it right now. Or, if I am in the mood to splurge, I get Jingle bell Java online from Monastery Greetings. it really is good, but only available seasonally. Gardeners organic Carmelite coffee from the same source is also very good and available year round.

You mean like having to go out of my house to get my coffee? Why would I do that?

Always at home, but I consider $tarbucks a nice treat when traveling. Nothing fancy, just their dark roast.

I brew at home. Not a Starbucks fan but I am a bit of a snob for MCD, especially if it is $1.

I buy cheap but good Costco coffee and also Cafe Du Monde. I alternate.

She blessed Keurig but, she drinks Nespresso. :tongue:

Yeah, lol!

We don’t drink morning coffee at home.

I occasionally have a coffee after lunch - Nespresso.

We don’t buy coffee made unless traveling overseas.

Consistent with my general "outlier" personality, I have never, ever had any desire whatsoever to drink coffee. I do like the smell of it, however.

We usually brew our first coffee of the day at home. A couple of days or more per week we walk out for breakfast and have our first coffee then. Lots of options within a mile of our house.

And I look forward to it every morning!! I even think about my coffee before I go to bed. Keurig Donut Shop with powdered vanilla creamer yum.

Everyday, unless we go out to breakfast:
Grind fresh coffee beans
Use De Longhi Espresso/Cappuccino maker
Steam milk and it's better than Starbuck's and worth the $200 machine.

If it were up to me, I would ban Dunkin Donuts as a hazard to navigation. I have never seen such poor drivers as those who are pulling in or out of that place.
I can attest to that. The one down the street from us is also on the corner of a very busy intersection. A magnet for bad driving.

Both. Fresh brew at home from beans and heavy cream. Generally two cups in the morning and one in afternoon. Sometimes MCD makes us another cup.

I like coffee. I like to drink it every morning. It then becomes a habit and I lose that nice caffeine lift.
The solution was to taper off by switching over to one cup of green or black tea 6 days of the week and have one cup of strong, home brewed coffee on Sunday, my early morning ride day. I really enjoy that one cup.
And no, I have never been inside a Starbucks or any other coffee house.

You mean there are people who can drive their car or even walk to the local coffee stand and buy coffee before they have had their first cup of the day? I never cease to be amazed at the resiliance and talent of others.

Not only would driving to the coffee shop before my first cup be putting my entire neighborhood at risk, but, buying coffee for $2+ when I can make that cup at home for 25¢ just rubs my LBYM training a bit to far. I may blow the dough, but by paying 8x as much.

Always brew at home with organic, packaged ground beans...when traveling in the motorhome, we use an "old school" percolater-style coffeemaker and it makes great coffee...first thing in the AM, I brew a 12 cup pot

I prefer to prepare my coffee at home and only buy brewed when we're traveling.
I'm the same way. I almost exclusively brew mine at home. The exception being if we are traveling or if I need to be somewhere early and don't have time to make some before leaving.

buying coffee for $2+ when I can make that cup at home for 25¢ just rubs my LBYM training a bit to far. I may blow the dough, but by paying 8x as much.
I'm with you. Except, on those occassions I do go to Sbux, I get their Americano because I detest their standard brews. So, when I pay $3+ for a cup of coffee I feel I've betrayed my LBYM self and hang my head in shame. :D

If it were up to me, I would ban Dunkin Donuts as a hazard to navigation. I have never seen such poor drivers as those who are pulling in or out of that place.

I can attest to that. The one down the street from us is also on the corner of a very busy intersection. A magnet for bad driving.

+1

It boggles my mind how people will line their cars up in the queue for the DD drive-through in the morning. Sometimes it stretches so far out that the last car is actually halfway sticking out into the road! This also happens at the Chik-Fil-A down the street. It always conjures up an image in my mind of cows or sheep mindlessly crowding around a feed trough, oblivious to anything else going on in the world.

I guess it shouldn't surprise anyone that on an early retirement forum that leans toward frugality that less than 4% of poll respondents said they buy their coffee already brewed.

I've had a $10 Starbucks card in my car for a year now and still haven't found a need to use it. I start with a K cup and then switch to a Nespresso brew. Can't imagine bothering to drive to a coffee shop just to get a cup of coffee when better coffee can be made at home in minutes for a fraction of the price.

I guess it shouldn't surprise anyone that on an early retirement forum that leans toward frugality that less than 4% of poll respondents said they buy their coffee already brewed.

If I could lean out of my in my kitchen window to pay a barrista to make me a latte every morning for $5 I would - frugality would not be an issue. I think the key to this poll is this is your morning coffee, ie, your first coffee.

For many of us the barrier to the "go buy it instead" option is the going - the idea of leaving the house before coffee, getting dressed, driving, transacting, etc. Not the $ so much.

DW starts from coffee bean. She roasts a batch every couple of weeks. Espressos every morning.

Back
Top Bottom