Poll: Do You Remove Shoes Entering Your House?

Do you remove shoes upon entering your house?

• Yes, remove shoes upon entering

Votes: 133 52.6%
  • No, wear outside shoes into house

Votes: 89 35.2%
  • Don't wear shoes to begin with

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Switch to inside shoes

Votes: 47 18.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have flat feet so I need the arch support of shoes. I clean the wood floors, wear outside shoes in as long as they are clean. I have separate outside shoes for yardwork, car washing, window cleaning, etc.......

I remove my shoes as soon as I can after entering my fully carpeted apartment. In hot weather, I usually go barefoot. Otherwise, I switch to slippers. I find it way too constricting to keep my shoes on when inside my apartment.

OK, then, do you lock your doors? Cuz I hardly ever see that either. Because it just takes up unnecessary time in a condensed show.

Do you really base your living habits on TV shows and movies?
What does that have to do with the topic of this thread?

And where did I say that I based any habits on TV shows?

If I've been working in the yard, walking in places without pavement or reasonably clean floors, or are in for the night, yes.

Otherwise, usually not.

I have a lab entering and leaving all day long so I’m not too concerned about my shoes unless muddy. But I do switch to sandals for comfort inside.

I have flat feet so I need the arch support of shoes. I clean the wood floors, wear outside shoes in as long as they are clean. I have separate outside shoes for yardwork, car washing, window cleaning, etc.......

I have flat feet but can't stand an arch support in my shoes.

I put in a new manufactured wood floor over a decade ago. It still has its wonderful sheen like the day it was new. I attribute this to removing my shoes and thereby not dragging in grit to wear down the sheen. I also run my robot vacuum over it twice a week in Winter and 3-4 times a week in the Summer when there is more in and out activity of all sorts. If the grands are here, I vacuum it daily.

The amount of junk the robo-vacuum picks up is amazing.

DW has severe allergies. We come in the garage and doff the shoes. Put on inside shoes, slippers or not. Did the same when I was a kid.

I don't think you should request guests to remove their shoes. Their comfort should be more important than yours. Going barefoot is especially bad.

This can matter a great deal to someone with plantar fasciitis. Our podiatrist told us that not wearing shoes inside was "the worst thing you can do" for the condition. So if a visitor seems reluctant to take off their shoes there can be a good reason for it.

That said, we usually don't wear shoes inside anyway. But if I'm going back out or into the shop (concrete floor) I'll wear them.

I take them off and put on house shoes that almost never leave the house on my feet. DH just goes sock footed. I wear the house shoes because I tend to stub my toes a lot and because my feet get too cold otherwise.

No I have plantar fasciitis - both feet. I need to wear shoes for the support otherwise I am limping.

Beginning to wonder if I really have something else because nothing the doctor suggested has made any difference but that is a different topic.

Last edited:
I have tile and wood flooring throughout my house. I also either wear sandals or go barefoot about 90% of the time since I live in Florida. If it is raining and I have shoes or boots on then I will take them off when entering the house.

Cheers!

I went most of my life without seeing anyone remove shoes habitually upon entering a home.

Have seen it a few times. Seems to be more common in other cultures.

As kids we were told to "wipe your feet!" not to remove them.

Not sure in all the years I have ever wore my shoes past the door entering the home.

No pets. We have inside shoes and outside shoes.

This is us. We lived in Alaska for three years and the entire community expected shoes off at the front door - best way to keep from tracking snow inside. I found it a brilliant way to live. We continued even after leaving Alaska, I have my indoor Hoka slides and my outdoor Hoka slides!

This is us. We lived in Alaska for three years and the entire community expected shoes off at the front door - best way to keep from tracking snow inside. I found it a brilliant way to live. We continued even after leaving Alaska, I have my indoor Hoka slides and my outdoor Hoka slides!

We remove our shoes, if my wife's not home, usually I don't, when she is home, it depends on what I'm doing, if I'm quickly grabbing something from my work bench to immediately take back out, I don't. So it depends, do I get dirty looks, often! Give me a C+

I live on a beach. Sand is the enemy; it gets into everything, scratches all it touches, and the only way to keep it out is to remove shoes before entering the house.

Thus, everyone who enters my home must remove shoes, unless they need shoes for foot support (I offer booties). It's amazing how, with age, many of us become unable to go comfortably shoeless on a hard floor.

One friend, with feet damaged by long-ago bunion surgery, brings his own pristine "indoor shoes" and puts them on in the foyer (there's a bench to sit on for this purpose). He does this for everybody, not just my house.

While we don't remove our shoes at home, we have a relative that wants everyone to remove their shoes. We have no problem with that but the irony is that they have three dogs and DW and I both comment on how dirty our socks are after a visit to their place.

Yes, remove.
Am the chief cook, bottle washer an master of scullery. No pets.

After a few visits to son in SFO, which involves a lot of walking around suspect streets, we got used to taking shoes off as soon as we hit the door. We transferred that to our own house, even though DW and I aren't too concerned about deer and turkey poop.

Sometimes I forget, but much greater than 90% compliance. (Unless working outside with power tools or tractor, my "shoes" are generally flipflops, so it is easy enough.)

It's a mix for us. I tend to wear slides inside the house when I'm going to be home for a while.

When visiting others, it's a mix. We lived in the eastern part of Germany in the late 90's and the custom there was to take your shoes off. Our hosts usually had some disposable house slippers for their guests. Similarly, in the US we've had some friends simply make a request to remove our shoes upon entering. It's assumed when visiting Asian friends that shoes come off per tradition.

Cheers.

Its hard to answer correctly currently... In the current house its no since its under construction, but in the camper we do.

It depends on if DW is home or not.

We have 100% hardwood floors. I'm not allowed to wear shoes in the house but our dog has free access with all four paws and he's outside several times a day.

I just live here..

Always.

Never had problems with guests removing shoes. Even though when hosting larger gatherings, shoes would be optional. We’d have to clean afterwards anyways.

Back
Top Bottom