Poll:How long ago did you eat your last Twinkie?

Last Twinkie???

• Last 6 months

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Between 6 mos and one year

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Between one and 5 years

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Between 5 and 10 years

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • Over 10 years

Votes: 76 75.2%

• Total voters
I probably ate 5 or 10 when I was a kid. Twinkies, Ho Hos, Ding Dongs, they all were awful. I doubt I have touched one for half a century and I was a sugar addict until last March..

If we are strictly referring to the below plain Jane product and I assume we are, I voted over 10 years ago. I really can't remember when I had one, but I know I have somewhere along the way. I'm more into the choc cupcakes Hostess made. Although I don't eat a lot of those either. My mom likes Little Debbie products, so I have one of those when I'm in the snacking mood.

img_1250302_0_925fb2aa5f4983c1c634b9a3307b3918.jpeg

I've never eaten a Twinkie, but I have to admit that when I was a child, I was a huge fan of Hostess cream-filled cupcakes.
img_1250306_0_7ab7da3afac66ddb27832df9100a1664.jpg

Couldn't afford them as a kid, and they fell of my radar. When the news stories broke, I thought they were talking about an item of woman's clothing.
:facepalm:

Not since the 1970s; I vaguely recall chocolate Twinkies being introduced around then. I was a bigger fan of Devil Dogs and Hostess Cupcakes.

I ate them often, perhaps two or three a week when on a midnight shift, and the only store open was a convenience store. That stopped when I went off the road and having to go gluten-free put an end to anything like that.

I've never eaten a Twinkie, but I have to admit that when I was a child, I was a huge fan of Hostess cream-filled cupcakes.
img_1250367_0_7ab7da3afac66ddb27832df9100a1664.jpg

+1

Haven't eaten any Hostess product, that I can recall, likely since the 70s. They, and other junky snacks, were good to stuff into the lunch pail, along with the [-]baloney[/-] bologna sandwich with American cheese...

HFWR;1250367...(snip)...along with the [- said:
baloney[/-] bologna sandwich with American cheese...
You came with a "silver spoon" in your youth. I only had the cheese (no meat, and that's the truth) :LOL: ...

As noted earlier, I ate a Twinkie or two back in the college days. I never had the other Hostess products, and first heard of HoHo or cupcakes in this forum. I guess I am like a stranger when it comes to mainstream USA, but that is mostly because I do not have a sweet tooth. I ate a candy bar only a few times in my life. I rarely eat candy, and have no cravings for chocolate.

Talk about America's sweet tooth, I just looked up the 7-Eleven Double Gulp soda drink. It has 744 calories. Holy Moly! That plus a Twinkie and one has 1/2 of the daily calorie intake.

Last edited:
Never cared for Twinkies. Last one was probably in the early 70's. Most of the rest of the stuff I liked. I had a hard time passing up the Snoballs when they were a $1 at the store for quite a while. But I haven't noticed them for a few months now. DW's going to have to find another suorce of Mini Donettes though. That could be a serious problem.

Twinkie Sminky. Maybe 30 years.

Now Ding Dongs are another story. Please tell me if I crack on my nuts and twigs diet I can still get ding donged.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

heh heh heh - I'm an independant trash food wise. I can go Little Debbie if I have too. :cool:

The non-twinkie consumers surely had the below combo at some point in their life. If not, you have just been given your assignment for the day. Enjoy.:)

img_1250402_0_de1ade99d853e1e324103b89cdf79e2f.png

When I was little only the rich kids had twinkies, I guess (I didn't know any rich people) or other packaged snacks. We had to settle for cookies our moms made. I'm sure I had them in maybe junior high? But they were nobody's first choice of Hostess.

I can remember the cake part being okay but the filling having a somewhat gritty metallic/chemical taste. I wonder if that was true then or more recently.

I probably hold the record for largest twinkie private purchase. I raised hogs while going to college. There was an ad in the paper for hog food $40/ton. Some guy had the contract to pick up every week all of the rejects (over cooked, too small, etc) from the hostoss bakery. I bought 1 ton. My girl friend went with me early on Saturday morning. We backed up to the loading dock and I went in with the guy while she stayed in the truck. He showed me 20 55 gal cardboard barrels filled to the top with twinkies, pies & cakes. He said ' I pick the good ones off the top and put in my kids lunch'. I grabbed 3 and took them back out to the truck for the ride home, girlfriend had went accross the street to use the bathroom at a service station.

She was back in the truck when I started loading and turned around to look through the glass with a twinkie in her hand half eaten. The look on her face when she figured out where the twinkie came from was priceless.

The non-twinkie consumers surely had the below combo at some point in their life. If not, you have just been given your assignment for the day. Enjoy.:)

img_1250435_0_de1ade99d853e1e324103b89cdf79e2f.png

Yep that looks familiar. Had those all the time.

I had one a few months ago when I first heard Hostess may go poof. But only because of the story, before that I had not had one (regular or fried) for 30-40 years...

I don't remember specifically eating a Twinkie ever, but I must have because I know I don't like them. Never liked any of those plastic-y creamy filled cakes. Not ring dings or oreos either. (I know, how can I not like Oreos? Because I grew with Burry Biscuit Chocolate Chips and Oxford Vanilla Cremes and they were the best. Too bad the company went out of business 30 years ago.)

I do have other fond memories of childhood treats--Tastey brand peanut butter Tandy Takes and Fruit Pies! Yummy.

I don't remember specifically eating a Twinkie ever, but I must have because I know I don't like them.

You'd remember eating them if you ever got the munchies back in the day. Then again, perhaps not. :angel:

I had one 6 or 7 years ago at the county fair... it was deep fried. I had a bite of my husbands. (No way I would have paid for it, but I did try a bite.) That was the same fair trip that my husband made it a goal to have everything he ate "on a stick". So the fried twinkie fit that goal - along with the pork chop on a stick, etc... Silly man.

I have not eaten an entire twinkie for probably 35 years . I may have had a bite (to recall that I really did not like them ) about 25 years ago when we used to frequent a hostess outlet for cheap bread. That place really helped stretch a tight food budget.

I recall one health "expert" commenting that the wrapper was probably better for you than the twinkie.

Would not miss a hostess product that I can think of - but then I do try to eat healthy . I figure If I'm gonna save all this money to retire early , I might as well try to stick around and spend it .http://www.early-retirement.org/sk/forums/images/smilies/coolsmiley.gif

I've never eaten a Twinkie.....nor have I eaten bubble wrap or cardboard.
Eh, when in a tight spot, a Twinkie would give you a quick boost of blood sugar. I don't think a bubble wrap would give you that. :cool:

Consumption of a Twinkie may be equivalent to putting a few tablespoons of sugar down one's throat. Most candy bars aren't much more than that. I rarely eat any sweet anyway.

About the cost of a Twinkie, I have no idea how much a box costs (back when it could be found on a shelf, not purchased by bidding on eBay). The Twinkies I bought most likely came off a vending machine at the university; I have no recollection of where I got them, only that I ate a few back then.

Back
Top Bottom