• 50% entertaining / 50% educational

Votes: 25 52.1%
  • 25% entertaining / 75% educational

Votes: 19 39.6%
  • 100% thoughtful/educational/serious

Votes: 2 4.2%

• Total voters

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
We certainly have both here. Wonder what the consensus ideal mix is?

I went with 50/50. I have learned alot here and had a good time -- both!

I'd say the total should be more than 100%. Would hate to think a thread couldn't be both entertaining and educational!

No matter what the balance is, one thing is for sure - - someone will complain about it! If it's all serious, the oldtimers will moan that we have already discussed when to take SS or whether to pay off the mortgage. If it's all entertaining and lighthearted, others will complain about how the board has nothing but fluff these days.

Luckily, it has been a mix thus far. If someone is tired of either type of thread, they can skip those and there will be plenty of other threads more to their liking.

I'd say the total should be more than 100%. Would hate to think a thread couldn't be both entertaining and educational!
That's true, but I'd be happy if the actual total was anywhere close to 100%, because some threads are neither.

In any case, I have no idea what one would do with the results. Are we each to have a quota of the types of threads we are to open?

What's entertaining is in the eye of the beholder :D

That's true, but I'd be happy if the actual total was anywhere close to 100%, because some threads are neither.

In any case, I have no idea what one would do with the results. Are we each to have a quota of the types of threads we are to open?
Once I have the results, I'm going to monitor your posts to make sure you maintain the desired balance. :cool:

Some serious threads are drowned in humor and ruined. And some entertaining threads are ruined by overly serious replies. I don't see that changing.

Maybe this thread is entertaining to some, serious to others, or neither...

Last edited:
Some serious threads are drowned in humor and ruined. And some entertaining threads are ruined by overly serious replies. I don't see that changing.
If I had a complaint about serious vs. entertaining, that would be it. But I also don't see that changing, and I've come to realize that trying to be the forum police isn't a good idea.

Usually, a serious thread will go on for a little while with serious replies and then someone will make a sarcastic or humorous comment. The post then goes off to oblivion. Eventually, someone brings up Nazis and then the moderators shut it down.

Usually, a serious thread will go on for a little while with serious replies and then someone will make a sarcastic or humorous comment. The post then goes off to oblivion. Eventually, someone brings up Nazis and then the moderators shut it down.
(Fortunately) that seems to be the pattern. However, I have seen a few destroyed (both serious and entertaining) before they ever got off the ground. I sometimes wish those would just be closed and put out of their misery...but I just stop looking at them instead.

I think if the threads become more than a small %age humorous, the forum will become a hangout for regulars and frustrating for ER wanabees.

It is seasonal.

Now that Spring is here I plan to forego dryer sheets and put clothes out on the line - when it doesn't rain.

heh heh heh - ;)

I tend to look at more of the serious threads (although Funny Joke Thursday is a fav) but I do enjoy the lighthearted banter even in a serious thread. That said, there are times it gets to read a bit like an "insiders club" and I hesitate to post after that.

A little bit o' humah eases tension....

emoticon-animal-058.gif

Not sure of the point of this poll. Does it matter? People post what they want to say. I actually enjoy the humorous post in some of the more serious threads. Breaks it up a bit. Thanks to those that are adept at humor, as I have laughed out loud at some of them....even when embedded in a serious thread.! :)

I also chose 50% entertaining / 50% educational. However, I do enjoy learning from the educational threads since I am not a financial expert. I have learned a lot since I joined two years ago. Thank you all.

Does that mean this thread is purely for entertainment?

Or is it thought provoking and serious to discuss thread content?

How do I mark this on my scorecard?

Back
Top Bottom