Poll: Who pays for their news?

Do you have one or more paid news subsciptions?

• I have a paid subscription to a local newspaper/website.

Votes: 45 24.6%
  • I have a paid subscription to a statewide news source.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have a paid subscription to a national news source.

Votes: 59 32.2%
  • I do not pay for any news subscriptions.

Votes: 73 39.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Do not pay for news. Too many versions of the the same stuff.
ER org provides enough :)

Attachments

• 50DF85DF-B3C1-4D10-9403-9CF6117C218F.jpg
    50DF85DF-B3C1-4D10-9403-9CF6117C218F.jpg
    401.4 KB · Views: 20
I have been receiving unsolicited Apple News headlines on my Apple devices for some time. Looked at some of their stories a couple of times. It became quite clear that the Apple News aggregate was politically slanted which should not surprise anyone. I have had offers in the past couple years to receive the WAPO for free and chose not to. If I want to read the news, I want just the news and not attempts at mind control through slanted and censored propaganda. No thank you!

I have been receiving unsolicited Apple News headlines on my Apple devices for some time. Looked at some of their stories a couple of times. It became quite clear that the Apple News aggregate was politically slanted which should not surprise anyone. I have had offers in the past couple years to receive the WAPO for free and chose not to. If I want to read the news, I want just the news and not attempts at mind control through slanted and censored propaganda. No thank you!

All papers have editors and there's always going to be some editorial bias. This shows most clearly in editorials and commentary which can be ignored. That said, better newspapers on both the left and right fact check their articles and will be called out by their competitors if they publish outright falsehoods. Just to be non-partisan (or bipartisan, I guess) I would put both the Wall Street Journal and New York Times into this category. Their editors may choose which stories to promote, but neither prints outright falsehoods to the best of my knowledge. Both also print corrections when they find they've made an error. This willingness to admit error and print corrections is, I believe, a key measure of reputability. When was the last time you saw a truly biased 'news' source on either the right or left admit they were wrong?

You can choose to read reputable papers from either the left or right (or, better yet, both) but to not read newspapers at all because of the bias of their editors makes one vulnerable to far more biased and less reliable 'curated' news feeds.

Last edited:
You can select your preferred news sources with Apple News Plus and delete others - i.e. fully customize it. You are not limited to a fixed feed predetermined by someone else.

You can select your preferred news sources with Apple News Plus and delete others - i.e. fully customize it. You are not limited to a fixed feed predetermined by someone else.

Thanks for the information! That makes it much more attractive!

Thanks for the information! That makes it much more attractive!
What I really like is that you can pick specific topics of interest - say Archaeology for instance - and Apple News will feed them to you. You can also add a bunch of topics to your sidebar to see those articles. Which is how I use it most of the time. I don't generally look at their overall feed.

We pay

Subscribe to local paper (Minneapolis Star Tribune) Community paper and WSJ. rationale?? You get what you don't pay for.

Back
Top Bottom