Published Another Book -- Will it Sell?

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Well, I've got another book out.

"Whoa, Dude, pace yourself!"

Click here to see it.

This book is different. It only took a few weeks to write. It's for authors who are creating a paperback version of their book. Here's a blurb about it (CreateSpace is the Print-on-Demand publisher affiliated with Amazon):
When I was formatting a CreateSpace version of my book Drive, Ride, Repeat, I had to decide on margins, headers, footers, font face, font size, and paragraph style (block or indented). I could go with smaller margins and/or smaller fonts to reduce the page count. I could have blank lines between paragraphs, or use indented paragraphs. Wow, what a lot of decisions I had to make!

My problem was that without holding a physical book in my hand, I couldn't get a good feeling for how these options would affect the appearance of my creation. Sure, I could get representations on my computer screen, but the book was going to be hardcopy, so I wanted to see the examples in hardcopy. On your computer screen there's no way to know, for example, whether the text will be lost in the inner margins, or whether it will be big enough to read comfortably. I wanted to open a real book, and see what combinations of these specs made it readable. I looked, but couldn't find a physical book with samples of different layouts.

I was so sure that people would want this, that I quickly put it together. It was easy to do, but required a lot of attention to detail to get everything right.

Was I right that people will need this and buy it? Early indications are: No

It's been out for five days, and no one has purchased it yet. So, we'll see.

If it doesn't sell, I won't mind. It was an interesting exercise, and if I hadn't written it, I'd always wonder.

I used CreateSpace for a recent book I published (number 5 and my first shot at self publishing). It's a great resource, you just have the interest to learn how to work in it.

Rich

Yes, I'm very impressed with CreateSpace. Everything works smoothly, there tech support is pretty good, and it's amazing to publish a printed book with a total outlay of only a few dollars (if you order a physical proof, otherwise $0).

I've sold two copies now.

So I can buy the physical book for $5 and it ships free when the minimum order size it met?

If so, I didn't know self-publishing was that inexpensive.

I imagine there's value in your book, T-Al. I bet it would take marketing and getting in front of the write people. Writer's forums, self publishing forums, trade shows.

When will your self-publishing house arrange the nationwide book signing and promotion tour?
:LOL:

When will your self-publishing house arrange the nationwide book signing and promotion tour?
:LOL:

Having published four books through the normal channels (three from Simon and Schusters Pocket Books division and one from a small press on Cape Cod) I can assure you that, as a mid-list author, the major publishing houses do NOTHING for their authors.

So, whether you self-publish or go through the normal publishing channels, you are effectively on your own.

Rich

So I can buy the physical book for $5 and it ships free when the minimum order size it met? ....

If done through CreateSpace you can order the book via Amazon. The author sets their price and then gets a substantial commission for each sale (much more than if the book were published using a publishing house).

The author can buy their own books at a nominal cost (mine, 240 pages with B&W photos, is around four dollars each, plus shipping costs. It's a specialty book, Practical Handgun Training).

Rich

The author can buy their own books at a nominal cost (mine, 240 pages with B&W photos, is around four dollars each, plus shipping costs. It's a specialty book, Practical Handgun Training).

Cool. I've given some thought to pulling together an e-book. Maybe I can make it a physical book without much more cost and time.

Although I'd have to pony up $5 to T Al for the style guide.

Two books in less than 6 months? That makes you a prolific writer in my book. Keep publishing and one will bound to be a home run. Don't forget us when you win a Pulitzer someday.

Noob Question

I have an online travel blog with lots of pictures, which I’d like to turn into a small coffee table book. It’s probably 70% pictures/30% words. Would appreciate any advice on what service (CreateSpace, Lulu, etc.) to use, and how to go about it. Not interested in publishing 100s of copies or making $; just want a dozen or so hard copies for myself and friends.

Any advice appreciated. :D

I have an online travel blog with lots of pictures, which I’d like to turn into a small coffee table book. It’s probably 70% pictures/30% words. Would appreciate any advice on what service (CreateSpace, Lulu, etc.) to use, and how to go about it. Not interested in publishing 100s of copies or making $; just want a dozen or so hard copies for myself and friends.

I've been happy with blurb.com. I like it because I can create the book right in Lightroom and simply upload it to blurb without having to do any additional layout. While perhaps not the cheapest (I admit I didn't look around much) they are certainly competitive on price and I'm happy with the quality. I've done half a dozen or so little picture books of family gatherings that have been well received by family.

If you don't already use Lightroom another offering will probably have an easier learning curve. I know blurb.com has (or used to anyway) have their own software you can download to make a book or you can create an account there and build it right on the web site.

I think several other online photo printers offer the same types of options.

I've published eight books, the last four in CreateSpace. I like CreateSpace. Simple interface, books very inexpensive for the writer to buy copies of, and, if you so desire, will go on Amazon for sale.

I can't mention any of my books, which is too bad, as one of them is all about self-publishing (I used it in a course I was teaching on the subject of self-publishing, duh.) To do so is a violation of forum rules (advertising...).

If you have additional questions, send me a PM.

Rich

Interesting that this thread resurfaced.

The answer is: It did not sell well at all. I've sold seventeen copies in the 3.5 years that it's been out.

It seemed like such a good idea to me. You never know with these things (or I never know, in any case).

TromboneAl, the problem is often, not the quality of the book, but the fact that no one knows of its existence! There's a reason there are so many "talking heads" on TV. It's one way to generate interest in a book or product.

As I have no interest in running around in that milieu, I guess I'll just keep grinding them out for the fun of it!

Rich

My neighbor was an author...not his day job. He has published over 25 books. He said the one he earned the most income was a re-write of one of his original 's he really liked, problem was he didnt like the re-write but it netted him $100,000 for "about six months of work" he said. As for the other 24 books , he often ends up donating the copies that dont sell.

OP - I've self-published 4 books (one went into 6 editions and I'm starting on a 7th). I've done all my own promotion. I still receive payments monthly even though my last book was published 2012.

I suggest these resources to learn about promotion and more.
www.SmartPassiveIncome.com
Books from the library by Gary Vaynerchuk (the guru of social marketing)
Books by Aaron Shepard - some have great tips on self publishing

Posting helpful tips on message boards for my target industry has worked great for me. I never mention my book but I did send free copies to posters considered to be professional and the most helpful on the forums. They thought the book terrific and are still recommending it.

Good luck!

Thanks. It's actually only the formatting book that doesn't sell. Tips always appreciated though.

Back
Top Bottom