Kindle fans?

Well, I have to reverse myself on this one.
Replaced my Kindle a couple of months ago due to problems with it staying connected to wifi. The new one (Paperwhite) was great, but then started having similar problems. It would disconnect itself after some random period, from a couple of hours to a couple of days, and then not want to reconnect.

I went through Amazon's troubleshooting steps a number of times, with no luck, and finally just reset it to factory settings and went through all the setup stuff all over again. But the same problem came back within a day or so. What's strange is that I have a fairly new router and every other device shows the wifi as rock solid.

Alas, Amazon only gives you 30 days of warranty, so I'm out of luck and will just be using the Kindle app on my iPad Mini from now on. No more Kindles for me. :mad:

I guess I am curious as to why you need the Kindle connected to the WiFi and why it is ubusable if it doesn't?? We've been using Kindles for over a decade and I never put them on WiFi.

I guess I am curious as to why you need the Kindle connected to the WiFi and why it is ubusable if it doesn't?? We've been using Kindles for over a decade and I never put them on WiFi.

Because the only way to get new books on it would be to use a cable to connect it to a computer and jump through some hoops. Cumbersome. I'm glad that's OK with you, but I expect something so simple to work as advertised.

Makes sense. I've just always loaded from the PC. Lots of different ways to do things - whatever works :)

Alas, Amazon only gives you 30 days of warranty, so I'm out of luck and will just be using the Kindle app on my iPad Mini from now on. No more Kindles for me. :mad:

Amazon's Kindle website shows the Paperwhite has a 1 year limited warranty

Edit to add - Amazon web site also shows the Oasis with the same 1 year limited warranty

Attachments

• IMG_3593.jpg
    IMG_3593.jpg
    511.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Kindle Oasis owner here, both DW and I are on our 2nd ones (wifi only, no cellular), the first kind we had we wore out the batteries and that version wasn't designed to be replaceable. Not sure of the version, but it was the detachable cover with some battery in the unit and some in the cover. There was an after market battery option, but I felt it was easier, though not cheaper, to just upgrade to a newer model. :)

My wife recently had the battery fail on a Kindle. Even with DIY battery replacement, the economics said to buy a new device. Of course, it was slightly smaller and I had to stick it to her case with double-sided tape. :blush:

Amazon's Kindle website shows the Paperwhite has a 1 year limited warranty

Yes, but trying to get them to honor it is another thing. I've been around and around on their website over this, but the warranty claim procedure just kept dumping me back into their troubleshooting page.

Not a serious problem, and I won't spend any more time on it. The Kindle app on the iPad is fine (and in some ways much better). Its only real drawback is the slightly heavier weight.

Probably more work than you want, but you could try using a different wifi hotspot.

I have a cheap router that I use for vpn access when traveling (https://www.gl-inet.com/products/gl-mt300n-v2/). This router connects to the local wifi and works as wifi hotspot.

It would be an easy way to see if the problem is with your wifi or the Kindle.

Otherwise, sorry to hear the Kindle doesn't work. I used my iPad/iPhone for reading in the past, but found that I wasn't reading as much and decided to get a dedicated reader. I ended up getting a Kobo Clara 2E. It's been a great device.

Back
Top Bottom