Question about buying music on-line

David1961

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have a question about buying an album download from the internet. Are you able to copy the files to other locations or is there some limit to the number of copies you can make? I ask this because I always backup my extensive music collection in multiple locations on mostly external hard drives. And I'd like to be able to listen to any song I have on iTunes on my hard drive, my iPod, an iPhone, and maybe others. I know when I rip a CD, I can copy the files multiple times. The main places to download music are Amazon and iTunes. I'm not asking about the price (I can compare that) or even the relative sound qualities between mp3, AAC and other formats. Just want to know if I download an album from iTunes or Amazon, will I be able to copy it and play it multiple times on different devices. Thanks in advance.

I have used Rhapsody and e-music. Both allow you to use the mp3 files any way you wish. After the download, I back-up to multiple locations for safe storage.

I have a question about buying an album download from the internet. Are you able to copy the files to other locations or is there some limit to the number of copies you can make? I ask this because I always backup my extensive music collection in multiple locations on mostly external hard drives. And I'd like to be able to listen to any song I have on iTunes on my hard drive, my iPod, an iPhone, and maybe others. I know when I rip a CD, I can copy the files multiple times. The main places to download music are Amazon and iTunes. I'm not asking about the price (I can compare that) or even the relative sound qualities between mp3, AAC and other formats. Just want to know if I download an album from iTunes or Amazon, will I be able to copy it and play it multiple times on different devices. Thanks in advance.

The iTunes music store has dropped the Digital Rights Management (DRM) stuff as of 2009. Purchases there are in the AAC format, and may be freely copied between all your devices. I have my music on an external drive, backed up automatically to another drive, and installed on a variety of gadgets. It's also streamed over a wireless network to a few rooms in the house, and some playlists have been burned to CDs to use in old fashioned turn of the century vehicle music players. No problems.

I've never used the Amazon stuff, so I'll leave that to someone else.

Info on AAC format: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Audio_Coding

I have bought mp3's off of Amazon, no limitation seen when I copied over to CD/DVD/FlashDrive/whatever.

Back
Top Bottom