Rats...

We set multiple traps, using a variety of devices, around the access area to the attic. Above the ceiling in a WIC adjacent to the bedroom/bath. Pure drywall and wood platform above us – excellent sound transmission.

A few minutes after lights out there was lots of noise – a trap went off, followed by another. Then the clear sound of a struggling trapped animal. Traps banging against drywall and plywood. Kind of like someone banging on a wood floor. It was so loud we thought we might have something other than a rat – and if a rat, it was really pissed. So, cornered rat or squirrel, trapped but mobile and desperate, after midnight – we decided to wait ‘till morning. Well, the struggle continued, with occasional short interruptions to rest, throughout the night. Not much rest for any of us.

Pest control arrived at noon. Went up, caught the rat, put it out of its misery and disposed of it. One trap in the nose, the other on the tail.

Enough for me. We hired the pest people to deal with the rest of this.

Well golly..... That would keep ya entertained through the evening! :)

Was the trapped but living rat large ref the trap? If you were using spring loaded snap traps, were they the ones with a base approximately 3" x 6" or the smaller ones meant for tiny mice with a base maybe 1.5" x 3"?

All facts considered, sounds like calling in the pros was a wise decision! ;)

We set multiple traps, using a variety of devices, around the access area to the attic. Above the ceiling in a WIC adjacent to the bedroom/bath. Pure drywall and wood platform above us – excellent sound transmission.

A few minutes after lights out there was lots of noise – a trap went off, followed by another. Then the clear sound of a struggling trapped animal. Traps banging against drywall and plywood. Kind of like someone banging on a wood floor. It was so loud we thought we might have something other than a rat – and if a rat, it was really pissed. So, cornered rat or squirrel, trapped but mobile and desperate, after midnight – we decided to wait ‘till morning. Well, the struggle continued, with occasional short interruptions to rest, throughout the night. Not much rest for any of us.

Pest control arrived at noon. Went up, caught the rat, put it out of its misery and disposed of it. One trap in the nose, the other on the tail.

Rats are amazingly tough critters. We once had a pack rat at my workplace that kept getting into garbage cans and generally making mischief. One day, I heard one of our snap traps go off in a back room and found the rat with the snap planted firmly on top of his head, causing his eyes to bulge out grotesquely. I figured it was dead and went searching for a pair of gloves so that I could remove his carcass without touching it. I suddenly heard another snap and a bunch of commotion. The rat came running out of the back room in a funny sideways gait (must have had a little brain damage) and crawled down a hole in the floor where electrical conduits ran underneath the room. Never did find the rat. :confused:

I loved the scene and the movie ... we're talking the 1958 version, right?

Actually, yes, I was thinking of that scene from the movie.

One trap in the nose, the other on the tail.
I guess I'm insensitive, but I can't help but picture a slapstick scene: "Oh, %#$$@!" ... stagger stagger snap, "Oh *&^%$!"

Good thing cats weren't an option. Otherwise we could be saying "poor cats" at this time. I remember reading about rats in a National Geographic magazine (many years ago) saying that rats team up to fight. Now, if you had like four cats, that might be a different story :bat:

Youbet: They were all rat traps. Three varieties:
This Snap Traps || Rat Snap Trap, this Snap Traps || Wooden Rat Trap, and a similar, plastic and easier to handle version

T-Al: Not insensitive. Sadistic, cruel, perhaps a tad psychopathic, but not insensitive.:whistle:
Sorry, not serious, :) just can’t resist an opening like that. I’m sure someday we’ll look at this differently as well – at least I will. DW – I think not.

Easysurfer: Agree about the cats. Especially since the pest control guy pointed out the additional active nests in the attic. Even my dog would have been hard pressed...

Back
Top Bottom