Reliance on Cell Phones

This is the part that ticks me off, the relentless march of backward incompatibility to make you buy a new phone every couple of years or feel like a Luddite.

Half assed progress sucks. Every industry moves forward, but not all do it in such a way as to make perfectly good devices useless for no reason other than either malicious programming or willful ignorance.

Well there is a movement of people going back to flip phones.

But the main concern with smart phones is to keep getting security updates and newest OS releases require newer hardware.

There are credible phones in the $400-450 range that you can get with the latest OS and security updates.

So you don't have to get $1000 phones.

But the main concern with smart phones is to keep getting security updates and newest OS releases require newer hardware.

There are credible phones in the $400-450 range that you can get with the latest OS and security updates.

Actually I think you can get them in the 250 dollar range...

Trust me, I wouldn't want a $1000 phone if it was given to me. I'm perfectly happy to use low end Androids. But that wasn't my gripe. When some event requires me to download an app and that app won't load because my phone is deemed "too old" because the app wasn't written to be backward compatible or the phone was designed so it can't have the OS updated, or the OS was written so it required newer hardware, i.e. a new phone, that is my gripe.

And no, I don't want a flip phone, I just want a phone that works for a reasonable amount of time without being replaced due to schemed obsolescence.

I'm pretty conservative about what apps I keep on my phone. If it's not something I'm going to find useful, it goes (provided it CAN be removed).

Finally, I hate giving up my cell number to just any old business. There have been horror stories of hackers stealing your phone (or stealing the phone number and assigning it to another phone0 I'm not an expert on this) and being able to drain bank accounts since they have the key to 2-factor authentication.

Get a Google Voice number if you don't have one already and change your banks' 2FA settings to send the code to the GV number, not an SMS to your phone.

The vulnerability is that hackers can fool a lot of telephone company workers into assigning your phone number to some other SIM card or device.

That means they get all the calls and texts to the number you previously had.

GV numbers are not hackable in that way because Google doesn't have human customer service for their services.

Some banks will not support GV numbers though, will demand a "real" phone number for 2FA.

Agreed. I don't have a single appliance etc that is tied to my cell phone. I see no need for it

Same here. Our dishwasher does have wifi capacity but we've never connected it. We have no reason to do so. That's the only "smart" device we own.

The one device that we do use our phones for occasionally is our TVs but I love that option. We have Roku TVs. We can use the Roku app as our remote. We can also use it to play the sound through our ear buds via the phone. That's a great feature when I want to lie in bed and watch TV but DW isn't watching the show with me. That way I don't have to disturb her.

I try to be selective.

I have some "smart" plugs on wifi, so that I can power cycle my DVR sometimes when I'm away from home.

I have downloaded a bunch of apps and don't use them because they require registration.

Recently, I registered and activated a couple of smart Wifi LED bulbs and got a desk lamp which is also on Wifi.

That allows me to control these lights when I'm not at home or set custom schedules to turn on and off at night, so that when I'm away from home for trips, it will show lights on from outside.

I considered getting smart dimmers and light switches, which can be connected and programmed. But electricians were quoting ridiculous prices, like close to $1000 to install 3 or 4 of them, hence I used the smart bulbs and desk lamp for a fraction of that price.

One of the most useful smart home feature is the MyQ, which controls my garage door opener with an app.

I can open it with my phone but it will also alert me when it opens and closes, so you don't have to worry about whether you left the garage door open when you left home.

These all require accounts, unfortunately, so they can track my usage presumably. But in the case of something like MyQ, they probably have millions of users so how closely are they tracking individual users?

It's a leash by choice. I feel no need to be tethered to my phone 24/7...I got it for my convenience, not the convenience of others.

The good is often overlooked:

One of my wife's parents has a Lifeline and she's the first contact if something happens. Having a cell phone definitely gives her peace of mind.

A former co-worker is deaf. Texting changed their life.

Th
The point is don't put all your eggs in one basket.... The car is a car, the phone is a phone. Think of all the stuff you can't use if your phone breaks.

Of course, this doesn't even consider the phone zombies. Any time we go to the mall or a restaurant, every single patron is walking around with their noses in their phones.d).

You still have a mall nearby?

You still have a mall nearby?

I understand your incredulity about even the continuing existence of malls. The malls I knew back in the day are either gone, repurposed, or on their last leg. The big mall in Hawaii has been "repurposed." It was always somewhat tourism oriented, but it also was "just a mall" for locals. Now, it's been up-scaled almost exclusively for (rich) tourists. Locals do what everyone else in the country does. They buy on line or they go to Sams or Walmart for most stuff. We could live our lives and never again need to go to the Mall, but once in a while we like to play tourist or go to the food court and play dominoes with friends. YMMV

The problem isn't the advancement in phone technology. It's that it affects things that have nothing to do with cell phones. In other words, I shouldn't need a phone just to adjust the heat in my home, or to use a camera. Using your analogy, it would be like not being able to watch TV or use your refrigerator unless your car was nearby.

The point is don't put all your eggs in one basket.... The car is a car, the phone is a phone. Think of all the stuff you can't use if your phone breaks.

Of course, this doesn't even consider the phone zombies. Any time we go to the mall or a restaurant, every single patron is walking around with their noses in their phones. People aren't interacting, they're not watching where they're going, etc. Heck, I often see people using their phones while they're driving (yes, it's illegal, but people are addicted).

As others have noted, smart phone is a computer with communication capabilities which always let you be online.

Yes phones store financial, health and other personal data in one device.

That can be bad if lost or stolen or you're locked out somehow and unable to access all the data you've put into the device.

OTOH, you have everything in one place. It sure beats separate pieces of paper or notebooks.

Or remember back in the day you had savings account books or check books to track your finances on top of tons of paper statements?

I still have a lot of paper statements from my brokerages going back 20 years. Got to get to shredding them.

When my father passed away, I had to find all the bank accounts from all the statements he had all over the house. He used computers and smart phones but had never organized all that data. He didn't use a password manager for instance.

I had to get account access by showing his death certificates. In the course of this process, I found accounts worth hundreds of thousands.

You don't have to access your financial accounts from a phone. You can use a browser to log in.

I use both, including times when I'm away from my computer.

Phone is a digital Swiss Army knife. Again you don't have to use it that way to store or access all your personal data.

But you don't have to use a computer either. Banks and medical practices will mail you paper statements still. You can manually balance your checking account too.

Computers and phones make it a lot easier.

As for as risk of data being stolen or lost, modern phones have remote tracking capabilities and you can even wipe data off them remotely if it's online (has a cell or wifi signal).

If not, there pretty hard to break into. I once lost an iPhone in Amsterdam and it never went back online. However, I sent a message to it with my contact info. and after I returned from that trip, I got a couple of phishing email attempts, trying to get me to log into iCloud.

But it was a fake iCloud site, the URL was nothing like iCloud, so if I entered my iCloud password, they'd be able to unlock my lost iPhone.

This was an iPhone 4S or 5S, almost 10 years ago.

iCloud activation lock has been pretty much solid, even led to fewer thefts of iPhones because they can't be broken into without your iCloud account password.

I love the ability to change settings on my thermostat using my phone.

3 years ago. Honey it's really cold and I can't sleep. Please go downstairs and change the thermostat.

2 years ago. Honey too cold. Grab phone on night table and change temp.

1 year ago. Honey too cold. I say hey Google, increase temp by 2 degrees.

Today. No need to tell honey too cold. She talks to Google herself.

[emoji16]

When I broke my big toe(open compound) the ER doc wanted to give me a tetanus shot. I knew I just had one for a trip to Africa. So I signed into my GP's portal and found my vaccination records. Not a big deal, but the ER doc was impressed.

On my trip home from Germany the Border Control officer at Munich asked about my temporary passport, issued when I lost my original in Malta. (Thank you, US Embassy, for your quick work.:D) It had no entry stamps since my only subsequent flight was from Malta back to Munich. He asked if I had my paper ticket showing when I'd first entered the EU so he could verify that I hadn't overstayed the limit 90 days?). I didn't but I fired up my Tripit app and showed him my itinerary. I was pleasantly surprised that that was all I needed. I probably could have found my e-mailed boarding pass as well with a little more time.

I love the ability to change settings on my thermostat using my phone.

I agree. I set it to "Eco" when I travel and bring it back to a comfortable temp when I'm a few hours from home. (If I forgot to set it to Eco before leaving I can fix that, too!) I also have an automatic sprinkler system that skips runs when local rainfall is enough but IMO doesn't skip often enough so sometimes I override a planned watering using the app.

Last edited:
I have google fi, so I don't even have to use my phone to get texts and 2FA. I have a tab open on my pc for the message interface. Works great.

Log on to a bank, they say sending code - code comes on my messaging tab. I'd imaging Apple has something similar?

Either way, I get the benefits of my phone outside of having a phone in my hand.

I do hate most apps. They are basically dumbed down websites most of the time. And I do dislike apps that don't offer the same functionality on their actual sites. Things like Fitbit now require a phone sync, when they didn't at first. I don't like that I have to open the Whole Foods app and scan it to get my Prime discount when I'm using a Prime Amazon CC anyway.

But if I'm operating a business, and 85% of people do a thing, I build for the 85%, that just makes sense. So I understand that my personal preference isn't going to be embraced all the time.

Oh this:

I probably could have found my e-mailed boarding pass as well with a little more time.

Remember the (not very) old days of trying to find the office in the hotel to get someone to print your boarding pass for your return flight vs. getting to the airport early... Now doing that on my phone when travelling is far better.

And remember the much older days of losing your paper boarding pass/ticket and the Lost Ticket $100 fee? No more!

Last edited:
When some event requires me to download an app and that app won't load because my phone is deemed "too old" because the app wasn't written to be backward compatible or the phone was designed so it can't have the OS updated, or the OS was written so it required newer hardware, i.e. a new phone, that is my gripe.

I've written a few mobile apps over the years (one of the first iPhone apps even) and it’s very rare that new apps reach back more than a bare minimum amount of OS releases.

Newer OSes have new APIs that either allow new functionality or make it much easier to build parts of an app. Going way back is not only no fun for the programmer, but takes an inordinate amount of time and effort - often you have to duplicate functionality that comes for free in the newer OS.

It’s just not cost effective to do so. Yes, you lose a few customers, but not many.

And no, I don't want a flip phone, I just want a phone that works for a reasonable amount of time without being replaced due to schemed obsolescence.

I don't think it's really schemed obsolescence. Smartphones are relatively new technology (the first i-Phone was released in 2007). I can recall the same thing with PCs back in the 1990s and early 2000s. Many times a PC over 2yrs old had problems with the latest software due to memory and processing constraints.

I've written a few mobile apps over the years (one of the first iPhone apps even) and it’s very rare that new apps reach back more than a bare minimum amount of OS releases.

Newer OSes have new APIs that either allow new functionality or make it much easier to build parts of an app. Going way back is not only no fun for the programmer, but takes an inordinate amount of time and effort - often you have to duplicate functionality that comes for free in the newer OS.

It’s just not cost effective to do so. Yes, you lose a few customers, but not many.

I guess that's why I would never consider buying a high-priced smart phone. DW is already running into issues with a phone she's had only 2 years. It still does what she's been doing, but it won't be supported much longer. My "smart" phone cost less than $100 and does way more than I want it to do. Why spend $600 or more for something I wouldn't use. I feel sorry for folks buying the expensive phones that then get lost, broken or "old" - you know 18 months!:LOL: YMMV

Last summer I had an eye doctor appointment on a particularly warm day. When I got in my vehicle it was a chilly 68°! DW, 60 miles away, had noticed the temperature and turned the climate on so I had a nice cool vehicle to get in. I worked in technology, I don't need another application but if it adds value I appreciate it.

Anyone here ever purchased the insurance for a lost or damaged phone replacement? I haven't but I do remember I fellow who worked there saying how many phones were replaced because they were lost while boating, camping, rafting...

Phones are for now in the BTD category.

I bought iPhone 12 Pro Max and traded it in for iPhone 13 Pro Max after a year.

Got almost $800 for the trade in, the original cost was $1100 plus tax.

Biggest dislike about cell phones is the voice quality.. Pretty bad compared to land lines...

If you carrier offers HD voice, the quality can be quite good.

Also, landlines now may be hiqh quality but I think we forget how noisy the connections used to be.

If you carrier offers HD voice, the quality can be quite good.

If both people in the conversation have HD voice quality it is stunningly good. Sounds like you are in the same room but with no background noise. Sounds so good it sounds fake.

Our phones are definitely not the latest and greatest. Bought the iPhone 5 after the 7 came out, and we currently have the 8 that we bought when the 10 came out.

We definitely use our phones, but they're on airplane mode most of the time. Location services are off except for the rare situation where it's needed. I have a friend or two that don't understand why I'm not reachable all day, but having my phone off allows me to be hyper-focused and productive with work without interruption.

If both people in the conversation have HD voice quality it is stunningly good. Sounds like you are in the same room but with no background noise. Sounds so good it sounds fake.

You can also use a number of VOIP apps, easy enough for anyone to install if they haven’t already.

Call quality can be quite good, even on international calls.

I was just recently introduced to FaceTime audio on Apple devices (I’m behind the times!! I avoided anything video and assumed “FaceTime” implied video).

The call quality is excellent.

It seems like everyone is commenting about how they like their phone and all the stuff they can do with it. That is missing the point. The original comment was less about what 'can' be done with the phone versus what 'cannot' be done without a phone.

A product should be able to work perfectly fine without a phone. I agree that it might be made to work better with a phone, but it should still work without it.

Why did the original user's "Mr Cool mini-split system" REQUIRE a phone to be setup?

Why does any product REQUIRE a phone to be setup? Especially if it is a product that has already existed for years or decades without the need of a phone.

When a company is using the 'phone' interface to replace instead of supplement the normal interface, then they are just being lazy or cheap to save themselves development or production costs.

Our phones are definitely not the latest and greatest. Bought the iPhone 5 after the 7 came out, and we currently have the 8 that we bought when the 10 came out.

We definitely use our phones, but they're on airplane mode most of the time. Location services are off except for the rare situation where it's needed. I have a friend or two that don't understand why I'm not reachable all day, but having my phone off allows me to be hyper-focused and productive with work without interruption.

Why not use the Do Not Disturb function? Set it for however long you don't want to receive calls/texts/notifications. You can even set it so preferred contacts can get through, but no one else can.

For example, I have Do Not Disturb set for 11 pm through 7 am, but my two sons and my sister can get through, if needed. If I take a nap I set Do Not Disturb to 30 minutes.

In this way I don't have to remember to take the phone out of airplane mode, as Do Not Disturb works automatically in the background.

Why did the original user's "Mr Cool mini-split system" REQUIRE a phone to be setup?

Why does any product REQUIRE a phone to be setup? Especially if it is a product that has already existed for years or decades without the need of a phone.

They shouldn't REQUIRE a phone, I agree. But phones can add a lot of functionality and options.

When a company is using the 'phone' interface to replace instead of supplement the normal interface, then they are just being lazy or cheap to save themselves development or production costs.

I disagree. I would argue it costs a whole lot more to develop an app and add the interface to the object so a phone can work with it as opposed to leaving phone functionality off. Also, believe it or not, just about anybody under the age of 40 (50?) won't touch something UNLESS it can be controlled remotely. They are the target consumer, not us boomers.

When my son was living in a dorm the washing machines would ping his phone when the washing cycle was done. That's real convenience, IMO.

I spent 14 years glued to a telephone at work. The other 22 years I only talked 1/2 the time. My family demands I carry a cellphone, however I seldom do. When I retired, I retired from the phone.

I do jump on my laptop a few times per day, but I do not text or read any texts. It is roo much like work.

I am in Italy and Greece this week and the entire European population is grafted to their phones. They are like one armed people. We were on a train today, and a millinium never got off FaceTime in the entire 2 hours. Very annoying in public.

Back
Top Bottom