OK, it happened..phone technology has left me behind.

But Pixel 7A doesn't have a telephoto lens.
Maybe this is just because I am (or at least was) big into photography .... But in most cases I'd argue that if you're taking photos of something that you need a telephoto lens for, you shouldn't be using your cell phone to do it. Otherwise, get up from your chair & walk over there. :D

When I say "highest quality", I'm referring to the quality of the photos taken. From a technical & visual standpoint (lighting, color accuracy, detail/clarity, focus, etc.), the Pixel 7/7A cameras take objectively exceptional photos, and blow iPhone cameras out of the water. A plethora of online articles comparing cell phone cameras consistently call out Pixels for outstanding photo quality.

FWIW, my iPhone 14 Pro Max has everything you want and I can easily get 2 days or more out of the battery no matter how much I use it.

Does your Chevy Bolt have Android Auto?

I would also recommend the Pixel 7a. It's got everything on your checklist and comes in at $499. It's a great phone.

Wireless charging is overrated IMO (it's slow) and if you're going to use Android Auto you will need a wired connection anyway. The wired connection will charge your phone much faster.

Still, wireless charging is convenient and the Pixel 7a has it. Also, I don't use Android Auto for short trips, instead I use the Bluetooth connection to my vehicle for hands-free phone operations. Meaning I don't need a wired connection to my phone.

Not necessarily. My Maverick has Android Auto and the standard approach is to plug your phone into the data port on the console to get Android Auto, but I added a bluetooth wireless dongle (AA Wireless... $75) plugged into the data port on the console so my Pixel 6a now connects to the truck wirelessly. I got the wireless bluetooth dongle because I was tired of having to plug and unplug my phone into the truck everytime I got in or out of the truck. With the wireless bluetooth dongle I keep my phone in my pocket or put it on the wireless charger and it automatically connects to Androis Auto. It takes about 10-15 seconds to connect but is still very convenient.

61slw-TiItL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
My Pixel 7 pro has both a 30x telephoto lens and the great macro lens feature.
I wish I could post a macro pic I took...
I said Pixel 7A, not Pixel 7 Pro. It's the Pixel 7A that doesn't have a telephoto lens.

Maybe this is just because I am (or at least was) big into photography .... But in most cases I'd argue that if you're taking photos of something that you need a telephoto lens for, you shouldn't be using your cell phone to do it. Otherwise, get up from your chair & walk over there. :D.

If you're taking shots outside, that could be a very long walk. :LOL:

Also, even with closer subjects, walking up closer it not the equivalent of telephoto. It gives a different depth of perspective.

As some have mentioned, they don't like to lug around separate cameras when they always have their phones with them.

After reviewing all the posts, I am leaning toward a Pixel 7 Pro or a 7A. I don't care to jump into the Apple system after all these years on Android. My Moto G is the same size as the 7A, but I may spring for 7 Pro which is a tad bigger.

I did have an iPhone 4 at one time, but never liked the system. I still have DW's fairly new iPad we bought a month before she passed, and I may just sell that on SWAPPA as I never use it (Chromebook guy).

Thanks for all the great help here!:cool:

Last edited:
Not necessarily. My Maverick has Android Auto and the standard approach is to plug your phone into the data port on the console to get Android Auto, but I added a bluetooth wireless dongle (AA Wireless... $75) plugged into the data port on the console so my Pixel 6a now connects to the truck wirelessly. I got the wireless bluetooth dongle because I was tired of having to plug and unplug my phone into the truck everytime I got in or out of the truck. With the wireless bluetooth dongle I keep my phone in my pocket or put it on the wireless charger and it automatically connects to Androis Auto. It takes about 10-15 seconds to connect but is still very convenient.

I am aware these things exist, I think Motorola was the first company to market one a couple years ago.

How do you stop your Maverick from pairing with your phone? In other words, how does your dongle get priority? Do you simply not pair the vehicle's radio with your phone?

On my truck if I get in and don't plug in the phone to Android Auto, the vehicle will connect to my phone via bluetooth. If I plug in the phone to Android auto via a wire, Android Auto supersedes the vehicle's bluetooth. In this way the phone is not conflicted as to where to connect.

After reviewing all the posts, I am leaning toward a Pixel 7 Pro or a 7A. I don't care to jump into the Apple system after all these years on Android. My Moto G is the same size as the 7A, but I may spring for a Pro Max which is a tad bigger.

I did have an iPhone 4 at one time, but never liked the system. I still have DW's fairly new iPad we bought a month before she passed, and I may just sell that on SWAPPA as I never use it (Chromebook guy).

Thanks for all the great help here!:cool:
OK, I take it you didn't mean to say you are thinking about springing for the Pro Max. That's an iPhone. I assume you meant springing for Pixel 7 Pro.

Last edited:
I am aware these things exist, I think Motorola was the first company to market one a couple years ago.

How do you stop your Maverick from pairing with your phone? In other words, how does your dongle get priority? Do you simply not pair the vehicle's radio with your phone?

On my truck if I get in and don't plug in the phone to Android Auto, the vehicle will connect to my phone via bluetooth. If I plug in the phone to Android auto via a wire, Android Auto supersedes the vehicle's bluetooth. In this way the phone is not conflicted as to where to connect.

I think it works the same as you describe for your truck because the bluetooth dongle is plugged into the same data port that you plug your phone into via wire.... IOW, the truck doesn't know that your phone is connected to the truck's dataport via the bluetooth dongle rather than by wire.

What often happens is as soon as I start the truck it immediately connects to the Maverick radio to my phone via bluetooth and then 10-20 seconds later the Android Auto connection takes over.

My connector is AAWireless. Motorola also has one but the AA Wireless has better reviews IIRC.

Last edited:
Phone technology hasn't left you behind—it's gotcha hooked and is dragging you along. :LOL:

OldShooter thanks for posting that link. I've posted my feelings on this distortion in other posts. Maybe cell phones will have software that will correct this but the physics say otherwise.
I think the main reason people don't complain is they don't recognize and appreciate good photos. Plenty of examples on social media. But that's my opinion.

After reviewing all the posts, I am leaning toward a Pixel 7 Pro or a 7A. I don't care to jump into the Apple system after all these years on Android.

I don't get why when people ask for suggestions for a $500 phone and they use Android some people suggest $1000 iPhones?

I have a Samsung A54, 6.5" screen (you said at least 6.1"), well under $500. You can get one with a dual SIM which is useful for travel.

I've heard good things about Pixel but I've never owned one.

I bought an unlocked, refurbished SE iphone through Amazon late last year for about $180. I could not believe it when I got it a few days later. The screen was a little bigger than the older SE iphone I already had and it looked absolutely brand new. I mean perfect. Took me 5 minutes to swap my old sim card and it work perfectly. Then another 30 mins or so to reload the apps I wanted and I was off to the races. Love it.

51I7GPdU6LL._AC_UY218_.jpg

I bought an unlocked, refurbished SE iphone through Amazon late last year for about $180. I could not believe it when I got it a few days later. The screen was a little bigger than the older SE iphone I already had and it looked absolutely brand new. I mean perfect. Took me 5 minutes to swap my old sim card and it work perfectly. Then another 30 mins or so to reload the apps I wanted and I was off to the races. Love it.

I got a refurbished iPhone SE (2nd Gen 2020) for $114 + tax at Walmart. I also thought it looked like new, but the battery health indicates 84% compared to new. There had been a short term deal for a 3rd Gen for less, but I missed that deal. I did test it out on my cell service by temporarily moving my SIM after I found I had to enable VoLTE in the iPhone menus, but I am keeping my Moto G Power (2020) as my primary phone. On the SE, I don't really like that less sensitive fingerprint home button and lost screen space around the display on the SE when it's already small. I got it to be able to use/try some specific apps available only on iPhone. I already have a backup phone (Moto G Power 20222). The iPhone is not as intuitive to use. If I had an iPhone as my main phone, I would want a larger one which the display takes up more of the phone surface and doesn't have that fingerprint home button that's separate from the touch screen.

Last edited:
^^^^^
To each his or her own. This is my 2nd SE phone. I like the smaller design that fits in my shirt pocket. I got this one with a lot more memory and a guaranteed 90+% original battery capacity. Works for me.

I don't get why when people ask for suggestions for a $500 phone and they use Android some people suggest $1000 iPhones?

It's a feature of this board. It happens with everything. Someone asks for a great upright vacuum and here comes suggestions for a cannister vac. Or someone asks about an OLED TV and here comes the suggestions for LED TVs.

I have a Samsung A54, 6.5" screen (you said at least 6.1"), well under $500. You can get one with a dual SIM which is useful for travel.

The Samsung A54 is a nice budget Android phone. I believe it is lacking wireless charging, which the OP said was required.

I'm currently looking to buy a Pixel 7 Pro on Swappa for $375 in Mint condition. I've bought most of my phones from their site with great success.

I'm currently looking to buy a Pixel 7 Pro on Swappa for $375 in Mint condition. I've bought most of my phones from their site with great success.

That's a pretty good deal. You will be pleased!

I hope so as it is said to be mint with no apparent signs of wear. I should have it by Saturday.
I hope it serves you as well as the 2020 Moto G Power did. I'll probably be holding on to mine at least through most of this year and maybe beyond that. I already have a 2022 Moto G Power for backup and a 2020 iPhone SE 2nd Gen. Plus, no plans to buy a new car in 2024.

I hope it serves you as well as the 2020 Moto G Power did. I'll probably be holding on to mine at least through most of this year and maybe beyond that. I already have a 2022 Moto G Power for backup and a 2020 iPhone SE 2nd Gen. Plus, no plans to buy a new car in 2024.

My 2020 G Power was a good phone and still can be useful. I'll just keep it as a spare. :)

I hope so as it is said to be mint with no apparent signs of wear. I should have it by Saturday.

Congrats on the new phone! IF SWAPPA is as good as Backmarlet.com where we have purchased a couple of our phones, (I always choose Excellent condition), you will be very happy as it is hard to find any signs of usage on them!

IDK about SWAPPA but Backmarket provides a 12 month warranty on all used phones.

Last edited:
Have an iphone SE, just love it, they can be cheap/reasonably priced. Works flawlessly with DWs 2023 Bolt, can do Apple CarPlay, Bluetooth or plug in USB cord (both USB 2 & 3). Future Chevys are talking about not supporting CarPlay. The wireless charging works very well. usually I just toss the SE on the charge slot, use CarPlay and DW clips into the cable and we can switvh back & forth as desired.

Back
Top Bottom