Reliance on Cell Phones

mountainsoft

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
It's no secret that I am not a big fan of cell phones. Other than being able to call for help if my car breaks down, or being able to read news when I'm bored visiting family, I would be perfectly happy not to own a cell phone. Unfortunately, cell phones are becoming more and more pervasive in today's world.

For starters, I can't log on to most web sites these days without requiring two factor authentication with my cell phone. Yeah, it enhances security, but it's a hassle waiting for the code to arrive (if it even comes), assuming I can even get a cell signal here at home. Then I have to type it in on the web site, especially annoying when the page doesn't default with the cursor ready to type. I end up typing in the number only to discover the cursor wasn't ready and I have to type it all in again. Not to mention all these 2FA's used up my cell phone minutes last week and I had to buy more minutes.

Last summer I installed a new Mr Cool mini-split system. Naturally, I had to use a cell phone to connect the head unit to the wall thermostat. Also, except for basic functions, I have to use my cell phone to change any of the other settings in the thermostat. Dumb. So I leave that thermostat off and just use the remote control.

The real kicker was when I bought an Osmo Action camera to take on vacation with us. I thought the small size would be handy to just carry around as we're out and about. Unfortunately, there was no mention that the camera won't work until you "activate" it with a cell phone. Of course the app has to be side loaded and for whatever reason is completely incompatible with my "ancient" 4 year old cell phone. Sorry, I'm not getting a new cell phone to use a camera. Stupid. It is being returned.

I was always told not to put all your eggs in one basket, but everything today is being assigned to the cell phone. So dumb...

... assuming I can even get a cell signal here at home.

Get a modern cell phone with a newer version of Android or iOS which will let you do wifi calling over your internet connection - SMS messages will come through there as well.

We have no cell signal in our home and are able to do everything with the cell phone just fine over wifi, be it making/receiving phone calls or sending/receiving messages.

........ for whatever reason is completely incompatible with my "ancient" 4 year old cell phone. ................

Get a modern cell phone ..........
This is the part that ticks me off, the relentless march of backward incompatibility to make you buy a new phone every couple of years or feel like a Luddite.

As long as places don't ban laptops (like places that don't accept cash), I'm happy to carry an old laptop (along with computer mouse) for when I really want to get something accomplished.

I still find texting on my smartphone as torture.

OP I'm sure some people had complaints when tbe car replaced the horse and buggy. Kind of a silly rant IMO

As long as places don't ban laptops (like places that don't accept cash), I'm happy to carry an old laptop (along with computer mouse) for when I really want to get something accomplished.

I still find texting on my smartphone as torture.

It is possible to buy a bluetooth keyboard for a cell phone (if it has bluetooth), to allow one to type on a larger keyboard. for as little as $10.
making the typing easier.

This is the part that ticks me off, the relentless march of backward incompatibility to make you buy a new phone every couple of years or feel like a Luddite.

My DH has a 3 year old 200 dollar phone that connects to everything necessary

I feel out of place if I didn't have my cell phone. It is just part of me now and not that I'm proud it that scenario either. I have everything with me at all times when I have the phone.
As far as coverage goes it is a hit miss for me with coverage but can usually get to where I can get out a text message or call. For me it is a lifeline being in remote unpopulated areas.
I love to texting feature because I spent most of my life on a phone and do not like talking on a phone anymore.

This is the part that ticks me off, the relentless march of backward incompatibility

Progress sucks!

travelover said:
...or feel like a Luddite.

"Unfortunately, cell phones are becoming more and more pervasive in today's world."

"Had to buy minutes."

Feel like a Luddite? How about BEING a Luddite?

ivinsfan said:
OP I'm sure some people had complaints when tbe car replaced the horse and buggy. Kind of a silly rant IMO

No kidding!

It is possible to buy a bluetooth keyboard for a cell phone (if it has bluetooth), to allow one to type on a larger keyboard. for as little as $10.
making the typing easier.
You know you can talk to text by hitting the little microphone on the text keyboard right?
I haven't typed a text in years, all done by voice and I send a LOT of texts. So much easier than typing.

You can also buy a stylus pen with a rubber tip to text at the dollar stores like this.
https://www.dollartree.com/e-circuit-4in-1-multifunctional-stylus-tools/243928

As to your question, you probably can buy a blutooth device but I've never used one or looked for one.

I do find smartphones handy for a few apps. It very helpful when traveling (though I do also bring along a tablet and/or small laptop for major app/typing usage). I do not get folks who seem to constantly use it for games, but that is just me.

I just wish, as we become more reliant on cell phones, they would make them more efficient. But that is a pipe dream. Perhaps it is just my IT background, but it seems they are built more for "marketing" than efficiency. Some things that cause me to view it this way:
- The operating system + provided apps take up so much memory (one could argue more than mainframe operating systems). My 32GB memory cell phone came with only 5-6 GB free memory.
- They come way overloaded with apps you never use but cannot remove.
- Even though you can add SD card storage, very few phones or apps allow you to move then to the SD card.

These and other related things impact dealing with relying on these phones.

Progress sucks!.........
Half assed progress sucks. Every industry moves forward, but not all do it in such a way as to make perfectly good devices useless for no reason other than either malicious programming or willful ignorance.

Get a modern cell phone with a newer version of Android or iOS which will let you do wifi calling over your internet connection - SMS messages will come through there as well.

We have no cell signal in our home and are able to do everything with the cell phone just fine over wifi, be it making/receiving phone calls or sending/receiving messages.

Hmm... That would be helpful in our situation. Do you have more info on getting/sending SMS text messages over wifi? Of course, I'm betting my four year old phone is too old for that sort of thing. :)

Biggest dislike about cell phones is the voice quality.. Pretty bad compared to land lines... HOWEVER, I do like being able to check my email, trade stocks, and make/receive "short" calls when away from home....

My DW hates them but I think she's just intimidated by the technology.

Last edited:
My phone is 5 years old and does everything discussed here. I fact, I have never found anything my phone won't do that the newest phones do. I do not think a 4-year old phone is so far out-of-date as you are making out to be.

The problem isn't the advancement in phone technology. It's that it affects things that have nothing to do with cell phones. In other words, I shouldn't need a phone just to adjust the heat in my home, or to use a camera. Using your analogy, it would be like not being able to watch TV or use your refrigerator unless your car was nearby.

The point is don't put all your eggs in one basket.... The car is a car, the phone is a phone. Think of all the stuff you can't use if your phone breaks.

Of course, this doesn't even consider the phone zombies. Any time we go to the mall or a restaurant, every single patron is walking around with their noses in their phones. People aren't interacting, they're not watching where they're going, etc. Heck, I often see people using their phones while they're driving (yes, it's illegal, but people are addicted).

I do find smartphones handy for a few apps. It very helpful when traveling (though I do also bring along a tablet and/or small laptop for major app/typing usage). I do not get folks who seem to constantly use it for games, but that is just me.

I just wish, as we become more reliant on cell phones, they would make them more efficient. But that is a pipe dream. Perhaps it is just my IT background, but it seems they are built more for "marketing" than efficiency. Some things that cause me to view it this way:
- The operating system + provided apps take up so much memory (one could argue more than mainframe operating systems). My 32GB memory cell phone came with only 5-6 GB free memory.
- They come way overloaded with apps you never use but cannot remove.
- Even though you can add SD card storage, very few phones or apps allow you to move then to the SD card.

These and other related things impact dealing with relying on these phones.

One of the biggest issues is the many phones with non-replaceable batteries. A design feature to force you to buy a new phone every 3 yrs.

One of the biggest issues is the many phones with non-replaceable batteries. A design feature to force you to buy a new phone every 3 yrs.

You can have your battery replaced on most phones for under $50. However, while your phone will still function, you can't get operating system updates after 3-4 years, so why bother?

You can have your battery replaced on most phones for under $50. However, while your phone will still function, you can't get operating system updates after 3-4 years, so why bother?
And that is just another part of the effort to force constant turnover of phones by not making them backward compatible. I call BS on the claim that it is necessary.

Am with OP.
Still have an ancient flip phone. Always off, unless I need to make a call, which is rare.
I refuse to be on an electronic leash.
Many years ago working for a radio pagin company was on call 24/7 had to pay attention to pager. On my last day there I threw the damned thing against the wall, smashing it to smithereens. Was the last day on electronic leash.

Last edited:
Hmm... That would be helpful in our situation. Do you have more info on getting/sending SMS text messages over wifi? Of course, I'm betting my four year old phone is too old for that sort of thing. :)
Not all phones will connect via WiFi but the ones that do, at least ours on Google Fi, do it seamlessly. Unless I look at the display I have no idea whether the call/text is going via cell radio or wifi radio. The phones are said to seamlessly hand off a call from home wifi to cell when you leave the house. I have never noticed this pro or con but I assume it has been working when I need it.

There are also Windows applications that will do texts from your home computer. I had one a few years ago but used it so seldom that I didn't replace it when I upgraded computers. But as I recall it was not difficult to use. Google should be able to find you some to evaluate.

+1 on tiny buttons to type and on dictating instead. Proofread carefully, though. Sometimes very creative things are substituted for what you meant.

Re Luddite my main gripe is that all these cell phone activations leave our personal information out in the cloud and a target for hackers. Ring seems to be the poster child for egregious information gathering. It is a juicy target for hackers, who in theory get access to Ring cameras, alarm system configuration, occupancy status of the home, etc. Sold in bundles of 50 homes or so to aspiring burglers, this info could be very lucrative for hackers.

And that is just another part of the effort to force constant turnover of phones by not making them backward compatible. I call BS on the claim that it is necessary.

Well, Apple iPhones from 2015 are still supported. That's 7 years of support.

I have a Moto Droid Turbo (Android, 2015) that I use for non-phone call functions. It's no longer supported and it still works. I recently put a SIM card in my 2017 Pixel 2XL and used it as a phone for awhile, even though it's no longer supported. As I said older phones will still work, they just won't have the latest features.

You might as well say that auto manufacturers that came out with backup cameras, lane change warning systems, touchscreens, automatic braking systems is just another effort to force a constant turnover of vehicles. And now they've got EV's?!

The problem isn't the advancement in phone technology. It's that it affects things that have nothing to do with cell phones. In other words, I shouldn't need a phone just to adjust the heat in my home, or to use a camera. Using your analogy, it would be like not being able to watch TV or use your refrigerator unless your car was nearby.

The point is don't put all your eggs in one basket.... The car is a car, the phone is a phone. Think of all the stuff you can't use if your phone breaks.

Of course, this doesn't even consider the phone zombies. Any time we go to the mall or a restaurant, every single patron is walking around with their noses in their phones. People aren't interacting, they're not watching where they're going, etc. Heck, I often see people using their phones while they're driving (yes, it's illegal, but people are addicted).

Ok now your on to the phone zombies never mind...just tell them to get off your lawn.

Back
Top Bottom