Replacing a car engine, chance of sucess?

Ed_The_Gypsy said:
Oh, go ahead.

Life does not come with many guarantees.  I know you know that.   ;)

Be well.

Ed

I know, but thanks for the reminder.   ;)

bow-tie said:
Sam,

I don't know if you have checked or not, but I bet there is a Z owners forum somewhere on the web.  I've found one of these for both our Bonnie and Impala SS.  A LOT of those guys/gals have had thier rides completely apart and may have some sage words for you and your situation.

I checked the one on Yahoo, but it's practically dead.   I will look for others.

Thank you all for your inputs. You guys are great.

I have had replacement engines in a couple vehicles. I had a 1982 Honda Civic wagon with 139K miles that had a head gasket problem and needed a new clutch. I had a replacement engine & transmission from Japan installed. It ran fine for me and I gave it to my older boy who ran it for a couple years with no problems until a tree fell on it and that was the end. I live in Southern California and there are places that do these swaps, cost is good and there is a warranty.
I also have a 1985 VW vanagon camper. When I had some problems I had a replacement Subaru engine installed. It was a local fellow who did the conversion and he assured that it would pass smog test which is important in CA. Now three years on the conversion and no problem running, although my particular vehicle needs extra atttention at smog test time every two years. The floow who did the installation has a supply of motors from Japan.
If I had a car I wanted to keep I would keep it going. I had a 1992 Taurus SHO which I loved and would have kept forever but it got totalled in an accident. But if it was an engine or other rebuildable part I would have kept it going. There is a finacnial question in this thread but there is also the issue of whether you have a car you love & want to keep.

yakers said:
I gave it to my older boy who ran it for a couple years with no problems until a tree fell on it and that was the end.
Ah, the ol' "tree fell on it" excuse...

Back
Top Bottom