Request for Beta Readers

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I've finished the first draft of my science fiction book (much of it is past the first-draft stage).

I'm looking for readers to give me feedback on the general story flow, etc. If you think you'd enjoy doing that, let me know (on this thread or via PM), and I'll get a Kindle mobi file to you. I can even send out a limited number of paperbacks.

You'll find more typos in chapters 17-40. At this point, you don't need to bother reporting those--I'm just interested in general impressions of the story.

Here's a very preliminary short blurb about it:
On May 22, 2015, every person on Earth sneezed. Simultaneously. It happened at twenty seconds after 3:01 p.m., Washington time.

Jake Corby had dropped out of the world and used his fortune to change his identity, but he knew the government would track him down. He knew they'd force him to help figure out who or what was behind this impossible event.

When a spherical interstellar spacecraft appears over New York City and broadcasts a crazy message, it's clear the future of the human race may depend on how it interacts with this strange alien.
And here's the cover:

5QbUr6g.jpg

Thanks for your help!

Al

Last edited:
I'd be interested. Enjoy science fiction. Don't have any way to read on a Kindle though. Could do MSWord, PDF, etc. Or paperback. Word might be nice as I could use the comments feature.

How many pages are we talking, and how soon do you need the feedback?

I have a Kindle and would be willing to critique.

Amethyst

I'd be interested too, but I don't have a Kindle. A pdf, or whatever text file would be okay. A paperback would be great but those are probably pricy in small quantities.

To the folks who don't have kindles, there is a kindle app available for the PC (as well as pretty much any other platform you can think of ... iOS, Android, etc). So you could install that (it's free) and read it that way.

To the folks who don't have kindles, there is a kindle app available for the PC (as well as pretty much any other platform you can think of ... iOS, Android, etc). So you could install that (it's free) and read it that way.

I am open to that route.

No real rush on the feedback. I'll be doing a lot of revisions.

I'll send links to the mobi (Kindle) file, assuming that you non-Kindle owners will be able to read with the Kindle reader app.

I would like to be a beta reader.

I'd like to sign up too. I love SF, and I'm pretty good at finding typos and ungood grammar.

I used to be a proofreader back in the 70s. It was a horrible job. They made us read backwards looking for misspelling so we wouldn't be distracted by the story.

I'm interested - sci fi fan and amateur editor. Kindle works fine for me.

To help me keep track of comments/errors and requests, please post them all here from now on.

I won't be embarrassed.

Yes to help

Massive and lifelong sci-fi fan. Very happy to help and would look forward to it.

If it is even half as good as your last book, count me in.

Yes.

Needs more sex. :)

Numbers is hard ...

Sex is hard.

You've read chapter 26 already. Are you a fast reader, or did you just skip to the sex parts?

But seriously, I've wondered whether I should have one more sex scene in there. Perhaps at the end.

+1

As the symbolic climax of the book.

I'll have to think about that. I wouldn't want to do anything prematurely.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I enjoyed the story, thanks for the copy. Particularly liked that it was not predictable and kept options open for the reader to speculate through well past the first half of the book.

A couple things though, the sub story of Jakes meth dealing brother seemed incomplete. I expected that thread to matter to the whole story a bit more.

A continuity issue were chapter 34 has Marie in a shootout on the way to Portland, but chapter 36 starts with Marie watching (while last we heard their was only limited radio availability) with the rest of the town folk.

I agree with REWahoo - More sex, and pictures too.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I'm working my way through it bit by bit (which is funny, because it's a total page-turner). Will PM you with some thoughts when I'm done.

Amethyst

Back
Top Bottom