Residential metal deck?

Masquernom

Full time employment: Posting here.
Our home has a treated wood deck. Although it's stained, it seems the wood only lasts about 10 years. I'm tired of staining every year and still replacing pieces of the deck every year. I'm considering replacing the whole deck with aluminum or something.
Anyone have experience with metal decks for homes? We live in Kentucky.

I don't have a metal deck, but I have walked on one. What I do know about that particular extruded aluminum deck is that they are not for bare feet. They are HOT in the sun and the ribs used for anti-slipping are very sharp to walk on.

Our PT wood deck is 35 years old now. We have owned it for 18 of them. I have replaced a couple of planks and that's about it. I do hate (solid color) staining it every few years. DS has a new composite board deck and that is hot too. Not as hot as aluminum, though.

Last edited:
Our new house build we used a composite decking called Fiberon. It was pretty easy to install and seems to be durable. The only thing I worry about is spilling something bad on it...my wife was cleaning some brushes using acetone in a plastic cup :facepalm: which started melting, and she ran across the deck to toss it in the dirt. A few drips got on the deck but didn't seem to do anything so I guess it is acetone resistant too lol.

Our entire deck is Trex. There are three levels of Trex from Ok ish to really good. We went top of the line. It looks real, will never need refinishing. Holds up in 100+ degree to below freezing without warping. Has a certain softness to it like wood, so if you drop a glass it will bounce. It’s quiet.
Our maintenance on it is I run a wet mop over it occasionally.
It’s elevated and some of our neighbors used concrete which cracked in a heart beat.

Last edited:
Our home has a treated wood deck. Although it's stained, it seems the wood only lasts about 10 years. I'm tired of staining every year and still replacing pieces of the deck every year. I'm considering replacing the whole deck with aluminum or something.
Not to dissuade you, but why do you prefer metal over composite? We’ve been very happy with our composite deck, and it eliminates the issues you with wood you mention as well. The less wood the better the longevity for composites IME. Some with high wood content don’t last long. What we have has NO wood filler.
Composite decking boards are often made from recycled or reclaimed materials, mainly polyethylene (HDPE or LDPE) or PVC (polyvinyl chloride) mixed with wood fiber, rice hulls or other fillers, as well as a blend of chemical additives. Some composite products contain no recycled materials, while others are made with as much as 95% recycled content.

Last edited:

We are in a similar spot. Our summer home has a pressure treated wood deck. Despite it's age, it is still in very good condition. Any solid stain will not last on horizontal surfaces. I gave up on staining mine. I power washed it and bought a polypropylene outdoor "rug" that was as close to the same size of the deck that I could get. I actually screw it to the deck with pan head SS screws and then just unscrew it and roll it up and store it for the winter. It's reasonably attractive.. better than faded stain.. and very easy on the feet. The rug only cost me $50 IIRC, easier than staining.

Last edited:
Our entire deck is Trex. There are three levels of Trex from Ok ish to really good. We went top of the line. It looks real, will never need refinishing. Holds up in 100+ degree to below freezing without warping. Has a certain softness to it like wood, so if you drop a glass it will bounce. It’s quiet.
Our maintenance on it is I run a wet mop over it occasionally.
It’s elevated and some of our neighbors used concrete which cracked in a heart beat.

+1 on the TREX , we installed ours in 1999 , it still looks great! I used to power wash it every year now I just spray it with Wet & Forget once a year. It's so much easier than power washing and it stays clean longer than power washing.

I'd avoid metal for the high heat conductivity mentioned above (and more likely to have creaky noise from it). I had a temporary cedar deck for a few years... temporary because I built it from western red cedar fence boards and it was small. We ended up going with concrete pavers for most of the area... I know that's not reasonable for many decks that should be elevated to the door on the house. In the process of trying different arrangements we got some of the lawn furniture made from recycled milk jugs. It was pricey, but has been worth it. It shows no visible degradation from the sun's uv rays after a few years, and is easy to clean with a pressure washer. I'd seriously consider going with a higher end composite deck material.

another happy Trex deck owner here. ours is only 4-yrs old but i like being able to walk on it barefoot without worry. no maintenance, just rinse it off every spring.

I'll stick with wood.

Metal decks must get awfully noisy in a rainstorm or hail storm. The heat has got to be a problem too. We have a faux stone raised patio that we love. But for a deck I’d use composite or wood.

I have a 22 year old wood deck on my DC townhouse. As PB4 said, the stain never lasted on the horizontal surfaces so I eventually painted it with Deck Over. After about ten years of my half assed efforts, it looked terrible. I had a pro who was doing other work pressure wash and repaint the deck and re-stain the fences. Looks good for now but the decking is split and worn in places. When I eventually replace it, I will go with Trex or similar. I had a huge wood deck on my weekend house for 25 years. It held up well with several pressure washes and stains but, if I had kept the house, a replacement deck would have been composite.

We added a small deck with stairs at our other entrance and used eastern white cedar, which is affordable and reasonably available in our area. However, we only stained the railing which is mostly vertical surfaces but just put Thompson's water seal on the decking. We have to reseal every so often but at least it doesn't look like hell in between.

One thing I'm curious about...why DO wooden decks seem to "fail" so quickly these days? My stepdad built a deck back in 1983 or 1984. I sold the house in October 2022, so that deck was a good 38-39 years old at that point, and still all original. The only thing that had to be replaced was one board on the second lowest step. Each step consisted of two boards that were maybe 2x6, and one was getting soft, so I cut a new board and replaced it in 2016.

Admittedly, we were extremely lazy about treating the deck, as well. My stepdad might have kept up on that in the early years, but he and my Mom moved out of there in 1989, and my grandparents used is as a rental property through 2003. I doubt any of the tenants took care of it, and I know Grandmom didn't! I moved into it in late 2003, and do remember treating it once, in 2004. But then I got lazy about it.

When I sold the house, the deck did have some issues, but it was mostly just the staircase, which really needed to be rebuilt at that point. But the deck itself was pretty solid.

I remember Granddad building a deck off the back of his house the following year, inspired by my stepdad. So that would've been either 1984 or 1985. He didn't build it nearly as sturdy as my stepdad did, though. I remember my uncle and I having to get under it in the late 90's and shoring it up here in a few places where some nails had come loose. Honestly, it's at the point where I wouldn't trust walking on it now, but age-wise, it's also into its upper 30's.

Was deck wood simply treated better back in the old days, or something?

One thing I'm curious about...why DO wooden decks seem to "fail" so quickly these days? My stepdad built a deck back in 1983 or 1984. I sold the house in October 2022, so that deck was a good 38-39 years old at that point, and still all original. The only thing that had to be replaced was one board on the second lowest step. Each step consisted of two boards that were maybe 2x6, and one was getting soft, so I cut a new board and replaced it in 2016.

Admittedly, we were extremely lazy about treating the deck, as well. My stepdad might have kept up on that in the early years, but he and my Mom moved out of there in 1989, and my grandparents used is as a rental property through 2003. I doubt any of the tenants took care of it, and I know Grandmom didn't! I moved into it in late 2003, and do remember treating it once, in 2004. But then I got lazy about it.

When I sold the house, the deck did have some issues, but it was mostly just the staircase, which really needed to be rebuilt at that point. But the deck itself was pretty solid.

I remember Granddad building a deck off the back of his house the following year, inspired by my stepdad. So that would've been either 1984 or 1985. He didn't build it nearly as sturdy as my stepdad did, though. I remember my uncle and I having to get under it in the late 90's and shoring it up here in a few places where some nails had come loose. Honestly, it's at the point where I wouldn't trust walking on it now, but age-wise, it's also into its upper 30's.

Was deck wood simply treated better back in the old days, or something?

Yes, pressure treated wood today is different. Here's an article written in 2014 discussing this -

https://www.jlconline.com/deck-builder/how-long-should-treated-lumber-last_o

Back when I still wore a tool belt (and Bill Clinton was still in the White House), we didn’t give the PT lumber we used a lot of thought. As I recall, all of the CCA-treated (chromated copper arsenate) framing material that our local lumberyards carried was rated for ground contact, with a 0.40 pcf (pounds per cubic foot) retention level. They didn’t bother stocking 0.25 pcf CCA-treated lumber (the retention level for above-ground use), so we didn’t have to worry about inadvertently using tread stock for stair stringers, or make sure we had selected the right framing lumber for a deck built close to the ground.

It’s been 10 years since builders have been able to use CCA-treated lumber for decks. Much has been written about the EPA agreement that resulted in its voluntary withdrawal from the U.S. residential market in 2004, but it’s still unclear whether CCA-treated lumber actually poses a health risk. Are the decks being built now with the preservatives developed to replace it—such as ammoniacal copper quat (ACQ), copper azole (CA), micronized copper quat (MCQ), and micronized copper azole (MCA)—as durable as the decks built a decade or two ago? That’s a question that was raised recently by a deck builder who reports finding accelerated aging and rot in six-year-old CA-treated decking and framing.

Further, I don't believe today's water based stains/preservatives (what you typically find at Home Depot and Lowes), are as good as the old oil based products.

I was very surprised when this deck started failing at about 12 years old. I thought maybe the original owner didn't use pressure treated wood. But my neighbors deck, about the same age, also failed and mostly had to be replaced. We had a small deck on the North side of our house in Michigan that was 40 years old. It looked like brand new. I can't explain why this wood is failing like this.

Our deck is on the South-West side of the house. Very hot in the summer afternoon. We mostly only use the deck for grilling once in a while. I just want something that I pay for once and don't have to worry about any longer.

I was thinking about Trex, or some competing composite material, but I have read some poor reviews about installations of those materials. I thought just going to aluminum would take care of this problem for good.

Yes, pressure treated wood today is different. Here's an article written in 2014 discussing this -

https://www.jlconline.com/deck-builder/how-long-should-treated-lumber-last_o

Further, I don't believe today's water based stains/preservatives (what you typically find at Home Depot and Lowes), are as good as the old oil based products.

DFIL and I built a small cedar deck some 50 years ago. He treated it with Thompson's water seal. Despite his continued efforts I don't think it lasted more than 10 years. Both the deck boards and stringers decayed to the point of being horrifically unsafe. My current home was built with old style PT wood in '87. I replaced all the railings ~15 years ago shortly after buying the home. I used "PT" wood and already had to replace a few pieces. The wood I took off during the change I threw on the ground in the back corner of the lot. Occasionally I still go out there for a short piece and it is still in great shape.

One common problem is that modern PT only goes so deep into the wood. It only goes so deep. It should be considered a surface treatment. Any onsite cuts are supposed to be treated on site to protect the bare ends. Hardley anyone does that, including me 15 years ago.

I've never seen or heard of a metal deck. Our deck was constructed around 2001 by a local carpenter using 2x6 #1 grade pressure treated fir. It is holding up quite well but we have repaired one board using epoxy resin and we recoat using Berh Deckover every 3 years or so. Trex was brand new when we put this deck up and I was hesitant. If I was doing a deck today I would go with a premium composite material. I have been looking for a trex type overlay product for years.

The lumber in our decks is cedar and it has lasted 26 years with a few board replacements. Staining it every few years is a pain, though, and DW would like to replace it. I'm dragging my feet because of the expense and the fact that it still looks good. It is due for stain this year so not sure what we will do about that.

DFIL and I built a small cedar deck some 50 years ago. He treated it with Thompson's water seal. Despite his continued efforts I don't think it lasted more than 10 years. Both the deck boards and stringers decayed to the point of being horrifically unsafe.

Thompson's water seal is a separate discussion altogether.

I'm not up to date on today's Thompson products, but years ago it was not one of the best products to use (particularly the clear water seal). Some folks claimed it was about useless. But, YMMV.

Thompson's water seal is a separate discussion altogether.

I'm not up to date on today's Thompson products, but years ago it was not one of the best products to use (particularly the clear water seal). Some folks claimed it was about useless. But, YMMV.

It didn't do well for DFIL's deck. Sometime back in the late 80's, I participated in a cardboard boat regatta. My boat was 20 ft long (with paddlewheel) , 8 ft wide and 12 ft tall. All built with regular old corrugated. It was first sealed with Thompson's, then some polyurethane and finally some cheap latex house paint. I can't say which gave it the necessary protection to last a couple of hours. A couple of weeks later it was made into a float for the 4th of July parade.

P.S. I don't think the Thompson's was the reason any of it worked. :angel:

You also might consider Thru Flow or AquaDeck panels in white. I built a dock out of eastern white cedar dimensional lumber and AquaFlow panels and was very happy with it.

DECK4.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom