Have you given up on DIY?

Full time employment: Posting here.
Throughout my life, if I could do it myself, I would. Car repairs, appliance repairs, painting, etc,etc,etc.

Of course there were many situations where I would pay someone to take care of whatever it was l wanted done. But for the most part I enjoyed the challenge of fixing it myself. And the savings at times could be substantial.

I've been putting off some house maintenance for awhile. Nothing that could cause injury if not fixed, but just general maintenance.

So I created an excel file that listed items my wife and I wanted to do.

So today we got started on the list. We wanted to paint the wall going up the stairs, the hallway upstairs and the foyer walls. I don't know how high the foyer walls are but they are way up there.

I go get my ~22? foot ladder to see if I can reach the ceiling in the foyer. Set it up, climb up and it still wasn't high enough.

And then it hit me like a rock, I don't want to mess with this sh*t anymore. I just don't want to do this.

I look at my wife, who had already started taping areas, that I'm just not up to doing this. I said let's just pay someone to do all this interior painting.

Then we start discussing all the other items on the list, particularly outside landscaping, tree trimming, some painting, repairs, etc, etc.

Laughing, I said I really don't want to do any of this. She smiled and said neither do I.

I'm certainly not rich and probably have less than most on this site. But we are so far below our budget the last few years that we can certainly afford it.

So for the next several days I have someone coming out for quotes to paint the exterior and interior of our house and stain the wood deck.

And I will sit in my house and watch the worker bees doing everything I just don't want to do.

I'm sure I'm in for a rude awakening as to how much this will cost but damn it I just don't have the desire to do this stuff anymore - and I'm only 63.

Is anyone else going through this, particularly at my age?

I'm in my upper 50's and have had similar thoughts recently. I am so darn slow and detailed to accomplish these things. I never outsourced these things during my working years, so I feel that my time might be better spent in learning how to hire/manage contractors.

DW says that since our WR is currently around 1%, therefore trading these tasks for more free time might be a wise and more sustainable choice.

-gauss

Amen.

Last time I painted the interior of the house was 2018 or 19, told my wife then, last time.

Stopped cutting my lawn in 2020. My kids almost prevented the landscapers from getting into the back yard. "You've got the wrong house, our dad mows the lawn." Wife had to let them know it was ok. Best money I spend. Lawn looks great and I don't kill myself.

I just swapped out a broken dishwasher, much to my dismay, but it was sunday and needed to be done.

"Call the guy" is my response every time she wants something fixed.

We were at a bbq the other day and someone was talking about handy work around the house, and my wife says "he used to but is now allergic to tools in his hand." She asked me to do something the other day and I gave her the look as if to say "you want me to put a tool in my hand." She said, ok, I'll get our son to do it.

Yeah, I'm done.

I'm 56.

Been there, done that.

Bought the Condo 13 years ago so we did not have to do outside maintenance.

The only time I get up high on a ladder is to string Christmas lights, and that might end this year.

At 68 I have no desire to hurt myself doing things I did 20 years ago without thinking about.

I will still do simple things. Even tiling a bathroom floor, provided it can take some time to do.

Recently DW mentioned replacing the kitchen faucet (and I agree it needs to be replaced). I looked under the sink. No way I want to tackle that. Garbage disposal in the way. Extra deep sink. Laying on the floor, under a sink, on my back, just hurts too much.

I think we have come to the time that we need to find a reliable handyman for some of these things.

I'm in my early 70's and still prefer to do it myself, but in the last few years, I have begun selectively farming out some projects. I expect that will happen more often as time marches on.

Given up on DIY? Will that mean I will be surfin' the Web all the time? No can do!

I am getting more selective on what I will do, with my reduced agility, strength, endurance, flexibility, patience...

But I will find something that I can do, darn it!

Age 65, and the DIY Guy for my home, my parent's home and my children's home.
I'm happy to be helpful to my family, but also aware of diminishing capacity and more fatigue. Therefore, past few years have focused on the more physical DIY projects on my list, hoping to get them done before I'm "done".
I'm very independent, therefore it will be depressing when I start needing others to do things for me, and can't help my family. I like saving my family $ and being useful vs spending $ and being a burden.
Unlike some other posters, DIY is what I do and has been rewarding in retirement.

If I can do the job as good or better, I do it. If I don’t have a clue, I hire it out.
So paint, landscaping, etc, yes. Appliance/HVAC, no.

I never understood folks that wouldn't even do the simple things and save a bunch of money.
But now as I'm getting closer to 70, I noticed I'm less willing to do things.
I force myself to cut the grass as it's pretty good exercise.

I never did car repairs or appliance repairs. I only know where the gas, the windscreen fluid, and the air goes. The rest is a mystery to me.

Lots of home repairs in my past life. Reno'd two home. Thought nothing of painting up a ladder on our three story home (just don't look down). I always enjoyed indoor painting. Very relaxing from my normal work.

Did the ceramic tile floors and walls on two of my daughters bathrooms this past summer. It was tiring for me at 70 since I had not done this for years. Especially lifting the boxes of tiles..they were large tiles. Gave away my tile saw and gear so that is then end of that.

I do not expect to do this much longer.

For a start, I do not want to injure myself. I have got to the point where I now refuse to help people if I believe it will put out my back. Most especially women who board aircraft with large, heavy carry on bags ) we travel frequently) and give you the 'please help me look'. Ditto for pushing cars out of the snow.

No more ladders. I will do, and did just a few months ago, minor electrical work. Had to move a 220 outlet for our dryer up to accommodate a stacked system. Very easy, not difficult, and probably saved me a $300-400 electrician bill. No waiting around for a tech either.

Last edited:
I stopped working UNDER cars around 75 years old. No more restorations of old cars. I screened our outdoor patio at 75 and realized what a pain it was hanging screen 9' off the ground.

No more ladders.

I hate yard work but still do some of it. But I hired out laying a flagstone walkway.

Painting is OK, but not real high up.

Actually, I really don't care to do all of the above much anymore.

I like doing workbench projects and just fixing what breaks (if possible).'

No, other than DH is now prohibited from ladder usage.

I'm 61, don't do any work on my automobiles, and haven't in years. Ok, maybe I do change the wipers. I still mow the lawn, tend the garden, mow and till with the tractor. I still kinda enjoy being the mechanic for my old tractor and motorcycle. Both are carburetor models and I know how to deal with them. I even used the chainsaw last week for a day getting rid of trees that had blocked the drive. All real carpentry work and painting (for the house), I hire professionals. For my office and shop, I do my own. My wife has high standards.

At 62 and not in great health, I’m thinking of throwing in the DIY towel. I’m not feeling well today and the lawn had to be mowed. I don’t think I’m going to do the lawn an leaves next year. I don’t mind the little things I do with the vehicles like adding fluids, changing filters (air and cabin), wipers . . . but I gave up wrenching on cars a long time ago. I’ve driven newer cars for awhile now and mostly they’re under warranty so no need for that. Changing to oil and rotating the tires is too much any longer though I do change oil and fluids in my generator and lawnmowers.

One thing nice about retirement is that you can do the DIY stuff on your own schedule but even with that, I’m getting tired and it’s just getting to be too much. My dilemma is whether I stay in my current house or start looking at something like a condo.

I burned out on yard work in our previous home (VT) because we bought a house with too much land for me to keep up with. Toward the end of our time there (left 10 years ago) I started hiring out lawn mowing and other jobs. Moved to a duplex condo where the exterior is taken care of. A lot of the residents still plant a lot of flowers and do things in excess of what the condo Assoc. does (basic mowing, trimming, etc) but I don’t. If the Condo Assoc. doesn’t do it I don’t need it. Inside we need to get bids for painting cuz my painting days are over.

These last few years I’ve been less and less motivated to do Harry Homeowner projects, although I did wash the windows, inside and out, this spring.

I’m 78 so I figure my time has come to foresake some of these jobs I did so willingly when I was younger.

One of my mantras has long been: I'll throw money at a problem but I'm not gonna sweat.

I do like gardening, but hire out "jobs" - I don't want to spend a week repainting my house!

I am watching my in-laws who are now in their 80s try to keep up with the maintenance on their large yard & garden at a ranch home they bought back in their 20s.

Happy I moved into a townhouse over 20 years ago so I don't have to do anything outside if I don't want to.

Thanks for all the responses.

I see some said no more ladders.

I think that's what really spooked me. When I was way up the ladder trying to see how can I paint up by the ceiling, I truly did not feel safe. Never gave it a second thought when I was younger.

One thing I've learned in this life of mine is if it doesn't feel right, don't do it.

Last edited:
We had a 2" main water supply line split at our apartments. Hired plumbers to cut holes in the concrete, bore a hole for a new line from the meter and make the lateral connections. Nothing I would have tried at any point. One lateral was under some stairs, so they removed the three lowest 4x12 treads, but for some reason they couldn't reinstall them. Went over this morning and lag-bolted them back up, which involved kneeling on the concrete and bending over to see and work under the lowest tread, then sitting flat on my butt and bending over for the next two. 73, and kinda feel like it now.

More and more I'm getting someone else to do it.

When it comes to DIY work, I have always followed Dirty Harry's philosophy: "A man's got to know his limitations". :)

At 65 my DIY avoidance items are:
- Major plumbing (installing kitchen and bathroom fixtures fine, messing with pipes bad) and electrical beyond plugging things in and out of sockets and replacing doorbells and light fixtures.

- Anything requiring a height greater than a 3 foot stepladder
- Anything on an automobile that requires anything beyond a rachet wrench or screwdriver, or requires getting under the car (did make an exception to unplug the A/C drain hose since it was easy to find and reach)
- Any flooring that cannot be snapped/clicked together.

I am fine with painting, I find it relaxing and seeing the results is worth it. I take the time to plan it out and prepare. I recently repainted the stairwell going down to the finished basement - 1 day for surface prep and taping, a couple of days for 2 coats, a day to restore things (I did do other things in between the actual activity).

I am still fine with basic yard work - riding mower most of the time, seeding/weeding/spraying, push mower for exercise, trimming limbs and cutting down and cutting up limbs and trees that the pole saw or pole lopper can reach.

My feeling is, as long as I have the physical ability, I will keeping doing these things. I do know the day will likely come when I will not be able to be as active, so I will enjoy it while I can :). It is a good contrast to my desk work. Maybe because I had a desk based career is why I enjoy (with my limitations) the DIY activity.

I hear you guys.
I am building our retirement home so I will check in with a "no".

:)

DH does yard work, I do gardening. We both share housecleaning.
Any plumbing, electrical, appliance or auto repair is hired out.
Last paint jobs inside and out we hired out.
Niether one of us goes any higher than a 2 step ladder anymore. Outside holiday decor is only stuff reachable by stretching from the ground or deck!
DH has a back disc problem that is progressively getting worse, so he is doing less and less strenuous stuff.

Just 63, which matters a lot on this topic.

Basic auto maintenance, I've outsourced for years. Still, I'll install aftermarket products and mess with a few odds and ends.

Probably a few more years with the long extension ladder, chainsaws, bushhog, box blade, and the like. So too, I enjoy helping our kids out with major renovations/demos when we visit them. If we buy another house in the near to middle future, I'll probably set a woodworking shop up there if we want a wine cellar or nice cabinetry; partial to having it done precisely the way I envision it. Brick and stonework, I'm probably finished with major projects, although basic retaining walls of less than 6 ft in height are still something I've messed with recently. Electric and plumbing are not that physically demanding, so those are likely to continue for some time.

(Thread title initially made me think you were referring to investing/advising--those are still DIY for a while. But, I have a good example with Father in Law, who knew that he was slipping and moved everything to a trust company in his early-mid 80s. Made a HUGE difference when he was no longer capable....)

I hear at a certain success level of FI, the phrase is "no job is too small to hire out".

I still have many projects/tasks I prefer to do myself.

Back
Top Bottom