Restaurant credit card charge snafu, what to do?

This is the reason I pay meals with cash and NEVER a credit card. I require a separate check unless I am paying the total bill. Even then I always check the bill to determine the tip. My credit card NEVER leaves the control of my hand for any transaction.

Cheers!

When I split the dinner check with a friend, I always choose the option that results in me paying more. So, for example, if the total of my items is less than half of the total bill for both of us, I'll suggest we just split down the middle. If my items were the more expensive ones, I suggest that we use the actual amounts. I'm fairly adept at doing math in my head, so I can know within a second or two what should be the result.

Why? Because I value my friends and would never want them to feel that I have treated them unfairly.

This is the way I feel and in the ideal world, all our friends would think similarly. But, sadly, this is not always the case:

I had a friend who loved to eat at expensive restaurants. Not only would he order the most expensive menu items without any restraint, including wine, but he would also tend to arrive at the restaurant early, order a cocktail at the bar, and transfer the tab to the table. Since I would be paying for my partner and myself, I found myself footing 2/3 of his substantial alcohol bill (I don't even drink myself). Although this person was a decent friend in some ways, I just could not get past this and no longer dine with him.

I do love the idea of separate checks, but have never been in a group where this was requested (I live in Los Angeles). Somehow I cannot work up the nerve to ask this. I don't want to spoil the mood of the evening when dining with friends, although logically I cannot see why it should. I know separate checks are routine in some locales but are there members in Los Angeles who get separate checks when dining with friends? How do the restaurant staff react to this?

Last edited:
It's weird. In my experience, the "cheap" chain places have trained staff and good POS equipment that allows them to break up the check anyway you want. You don't even need to tell them up-front. They must enter it by chair number (which also allows the kitchen to put the right plate in front of you without discussion with the primary server). At the end, they ask you how you want the check, and they come back in a few seconds with any split you tell them. Contrast that with the high-dollar places...they roll their eyes or act like they don't understand why anyone would want to do such a thing as complicated as "these two, these two and those three". Then it comes back wrong, all the while, they're "earning" 5X the tip of the cheap place.

If the restaurant [or if it's a chain, the corporation that controls the restaurant] won't help you, your only recourse is to try to dispute the charge via your cc company.

I use my cc almost everywhere,... except in restaurants where the cc leaves my presence. In those restaurants, I pay cash.

In the country where I live "you are not allowed to leave the table with a persons credit card" so this issue never happens. Also, people splitting bills on CC's is the most annoying thing I ever encounter. I just pay the bill for the table
and make a mental note never to dine with the offenders in the future.

Last time I invited a friend to have lunch with me at a nice restaurant, the bill was weird... half at the top then a large blank space and the rest of it was at the bottom. I intended to give the waiter a large tip... but misread the bill and calculated the whole amount via the first number at the top... which resulted in the waiter getting less than a dollar tip. Fortunately, I realized my error before we left and asked for that waiter to return so I could give him more tip money. I was so embarrassed, I gave him a lot extra.

Always check receipts. You are signing a legal contract. Hopefully the place will give you a refund. Doubt credit card company will do anything (you will eventually loose the appeal).

Don’t know what this has to do with going back to the restaurant. The waiter even asked if there was no cash back.
I can't provide any help, but I too am guilty of signing without even glancing at the amount. Luckily the DW usually handles our tab because she scrutinizes the credit card receipt closely before signing.

Hope this gets straightened out.

I can't provide any help, but I too am guilty of signing without even glancing at the amount. Luckily the DW usually handles our tab because she scrutinizes the credit card receipt closely before signing.

Hope this gets straightened out.

Thanks, it is all straightened out. The friend who got overcharged was credited by the restaurant.

Thanks, it is all straightened out. The friend who got overcharged was credited by the restaurant.
Surely you realize just because your friend was able to resolve this amiably doesn't mean forum members will stop posting suggestions, analysis, opinions, personal experiences and, soon enough, change the subject and start all over again. :)

Surely you realize just because your friend was able to resolve this amiably doesn't mean forum members will stop posting suggestions, analysis, opinions, personal experiences and, soon enough, change the subject and start all over again. :)

Hahaha :) That's the fun here!

Definitely.

After all, this is the Other Topics forum, where posters constantly post about other topics no mater what topic led off the discussion.

And just like that, the topic is now changing the topic. :)

Yep. I'm of an age where my opinion is so valuable I need to offer it even after the issue has been resolved. Just ask my kids! :D :D

When I split the dinner check with a friend, I always choose the option that results in me paying more. So, for example, if the total of my items is less than half of the total bill for both of us, I'll suggest we just split down the middle. If my items were the more expensive ones, I suggest that we use the actual amounts. I'm fairly adept at doing math in my head, so I can know within a second or two what should be the result.

Why? Because I value my friends and would never want them to feel that I have treated them unfairly.

Is it really that much of a social faux pas where you are to ask for separate bills? Because if you're looking to be fair, that's the most fair way possible.

Fast food restaurants, food carts, bartenders, and all sorts of other dining and drinking places have no problem with separate bills for each order....I'm not sure why some restaurants seem to frown on the practice.

Is it really that much of a social faux pas where you are to ask for separate bills? Because if you're looking to be fair, that's the most fair way possible.

Fast food restaurants, food carts, bartenders, and all sorts of other dining and drinking places have no problem with separate bills for each order....I'm not sure why some restaurants seem to frown on the practice.

We have a family owned Italian restaurant near us that is a nice place, not a fast turn-and-churn restaurant chain. It has been there for many years. They will split the bill in half for 2 couples but will not separate the tabs based on food ordered at the same table. I find it to be a bit old-school. I kinda like that. We sometimes need old school IMO.

If I lived in Puru and the tab was $30 instead of $100, the problem would be 70% easier to deal with :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom