DQOTD: Link checking to chase credit card?

badatmath

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I sent a check for my bill on 12/17. It has not arrived so I sent another yesterday. I doubt it will get there either (payment due 1/9). First check I've lost in about 40 years of writing them.

So I don't have online banking and it looks like the bill pay mails a check which would be too slow anyway.

What does "link a checking account to chase" actually do - is it an ach? If so I could link it tomorrow and pay the bill, right? It seems strange to me that I'd have to link my checking to each person I wanted to pay but I really would not know. I asked a friend IRL and they only laughed that I did not know so I turn to the folks here who may laugh but will also explain if this is correct. I'm sure some of you have an Amazon card and pay this way. Really kind of annoying now because if the checks ever arrive I will have a lot of credit there!

I have my Chase card linked to my WF checking account. On the payment date it withdraws the funds from the checking account. Very easy.

Is it same day so that if I set it up today it would draw out tomorrow? That would be perfect. If it will not process for days it probably won't save me this time.

Do I need to be in online banking at my bank? Cause I am not. But I know the correct routing numbers etc.

It looks like I need online banking first cause I got no pw. I'll try that. I'd rather use a different bank I guess but it only has savings no checking. Grr.

Last edited:
There are two steps: connecting the two accounts, and then paying your bill.

The old way of connecting accounts is called "trial deposits" and takes a few days. There is a newer way that some places use where you log into Chase and then provide your bank user/password during the connection process. The newer way is instantaneous.

Once you do that, you can pay your bill pretty much immediately. Depending on the time of day, you might not be able to schedule the payment for "today" but probably can for "tomorrow".

You don't *need* online banking at your bank for any of the above, although it's an easy way to verify trial deposits.

Yes, it will be an ACH transfer if you pay this way.

Part of the reason for requiring this for each combination is that, in the fine print, you're giving Chase permission to reach into your checking account and take money out. They need your authorization to do that.

If you miss the payment deadline by a day or two, you can call and ask them nicely to waive any fees and they almost certainly will if it's a rare occurrence. Especially if they can see that you've already made the payment.

FWIW, I have all of my CCs and all of my investment accounts linked to my main checking account and most of my bank accounts to each other. Never had a problem worth mentioning, and the time or two it wasn't right, it was straightforward to fix. I also do autopay and paperless billing for everything I can.

OP - if you have a chase bank account , you can get an online account to see your account and Chase credit card.

Then you can click a couple of buttons to tell Chase to auto-pay your Chase credit card when it's due automatically for the full statement value.

That is what I have done, so I never forget to pay my Chase CC, and it's always fully paid on the very last day. They send me emails a week before that it's going to happen and when it happens (called alerts).

Thanks guys.

I think I got it. No chase bank account and I don't ordinarily want auto pay - just right now I don't want this to be late.

It is entirely possible I will get 2 checks in there in the end - (I have not got the first check back so IDK where it might be) - on top of the ACH.

Pretty soon this bill will be paid twice over at least I bet. :) I will update if they all process or not! I will have to think about putting this on auto for the future - I'd not normally pay out of this account either but gotta do what works when you are in a rush! I assume I can unlink the account once the payment is over as there is normally virtually nothing in there.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Do you have a Chase branch anywhere near you? Just walk in with the credit card bill and pay it in person. There must be a branch within 20 miles of you.

Paying it twice or more won't be an issue - you can just use the credit card to spend it, or after some time if not used they will send you a refund.

I sent a check for my bill on 12/17. It has not arrived so I sent another yesterday. I doubt it will get there either (payment due 1/9). First check I've lost in about 40 years of writing them.

So I don't have online banking and it looks like the bill pay mails a check which would be too slow anyway.

What does "link a checking account to chase" actually do - is it an ach? If so I could link it tomorrow and pay the bill, right? It seems strange to me that I'd have to link my checking to each person I wanted to pay but I really would not know. I asked a friend IRL and they only laughed that I did not know so I turn to the folks here who may laugh but will also explain if this is correct. I'm sure some of you have an Amazon card and pay this way. Really kind of annoying now because if the checks ever arrive I will have a lot of credit there!

Yes, linking your CC to a bank account (checking or savings) and then authorizing the CC company to withdraw the full amount due on date X (usually the actual due date) is an ACH payment. In my humble opinion this is the only way to go. No missing payment due dates, writing checks that get lost/delayed in the mail, etc. We've been doing this for years with no issues.

I should have read the comment about paying person at chase cause the ACH didn't process on Friday. Annoying but I have until 1/9 to pay so not really important overall.

I didn't like it didn't have any 2FA either like if I normally transfer bank to bank it is all over the place verifying me and this was not. We'll see.

Back
Top Bottom