Retirement Personality type

Man, that was a CHP, and I am not a member so I can't change it :)

JG

I think this came up before a few months back.

I'm a left handed INTJ. Same as unclemick, if I'm correct.

I could've sworn JG would be an "E".

ESTJ?? Lets get him!!! ;)
Not so fast. We must plan this carefully, but be sure we (pause) will (pause) get him in the end.

I'm a classic INTJ engineer. A strong 'type A".
Funny thing is that after ER I took the test again. Now I'm ISTP!
Taking the test from the Keirsey book I came up as "S" after being "N" in all the quickie online tests, but the description severely branched away from my identity. But the book said that N/S confusion on the tests is sometimes a problem and there was a more thorough supplemental test for N/S where I came as N, and the INTP description matches me near perfectly.

Right handed INTJ, married to a another right handed INTJ - my father is also a right handed INTJ.

INTJ, determined by psych. testing from the age of 13.

I just took the test and I'm an ESTsomething...can't remember. I could be a DOPE and not know it.

BUM :eek:

It's amazing how many report being INTJs every time this question is asked. SalaryGuru pointed out earlier in the thread that the intercst survey was not scientific, and I don't believe that intercst has ever said any different. Still, the same result comes up over and over again on a variety of boards. There is something to this idea that there is a connection between early retirement and possession of the INTJ personality type.

The implications to this are large, in my view. What this means is that much of the standard money management advice does not matter too much. There is one thing that matters more than all the rest--Develop the ability to do what a good number of INTJs do, and you will achieve a level of success with your money management strategies that few attain.

This is not at all the result that one would expect intuitively. One would not think that one particular personalty type would possess such an edge. But I think we have (admittedly non-scientific) grounds to believe that there really is something to this. In my mind, it is one of the most exciting findings in the six-year history of our boards (and I'm not even an INTJ!).

Hello ***** and everyone. Good post!

I think the INTJ thing is kind of fascinating also.
Even though I am an anomaly (in several ways :) ),
it may be significant that I (a solid INTJ) retired with
basically no planning at all and still made it work.
If INTJs do have an "edge" as ***** hypothesized,
perhaps my case offers some support to that.
Food for thought?

JG

It's amazing how many report being INTJs every time this question is asked. SalaryGuru pointed out earlier in the thread that the intercst survey was not scientific, and I don't believe that intercst has ever said any different. Still, the same result comes up over and over again on a variety of boards. There is something to this idea that there is a connection between early retirement and possession of the INTJ personality type.

The implications to this are large, in my view. What this means is that much of the standard money management advice does not matter too much. There is one thing that matters more than all the rest--Develop the ability to do what a good number of INTJs do, and you will achieve a level of success with your money management strategies that few attain.

This is not at all the result that one would expect intuitively. One would not think that one particular personalty type would possess such an edge. But I think we have (admittedly non-scientific) grounds to believe that there really is something to this. In my mind, it is one of the most exciting findings in the six-year history of our boards (and I'm not even an INTJ!).

Exactly what I have wondered about since stumbeling onto this board about 2 years ago.
I remember thinking I must be the only non-computer, engineering type on board.
Here's my take on the overabundance of INTJ's on board.
Since the mid 80's, with the explosion of technology, and very good income, along with a good possibility to share in stock options, the engineering/computer types put themselves in a very good position to be able to retire early.
Along with the fact that most of them were INTJ's, they have been able to parlay that into a lifestyle that allows them not to feel deprived.
I personally am afflicted with EST(Last number not sure of), and although we could survive, about 2 years into not playing golf, and traveling for tournament play, both my wife and I would be ready for the "funny farm".
Hats off to all the INTJ's. (You impulsive devils) :)

I may be the only INTJ here who is married to an ESFP. Yep, completely opposite. Pretty interesting.

malakito.

I'm a pretty extreme example of an ISTJ. Maybe that's why I'm known as...

Grumpy

Yeah, it may be the cart or the horse in this case.

Lets look at who makes a good early retiree:

- Makes a lot of money
- Probably doesnt spend a lot of it on yachts and airplanes
- Doesnt need the 'work social scene' to be happy
- Probably hates structure and "dilbertian big business"
- Hence wants to start own biz or find a way to stop working altogether

Sounds like predominately nerdy professionals with a good income, relatively strong willed and self motivated/driven.

And probably a bunch of wise-asses too ;)

I'm almost afraid to come out...I'm an ESTJ. Is there a 12 step program for this? And...to make matters worse...I'm both left handed AND a computer science professional.

I might as well just shoot myself now...

Nope

You are a treasured commodity - hang around and keep posting - to keep all us INTJ cats in balance.

I'm almost afraid to come out...I'm an ESTJ. Is there a 12 step program for this? And...to make matters worse...I'm both left handed AND a computer science professional.

I might as well just shoot myself now...

You're the only other ESTJ I've seen on this Board. Jarhead claims to be an EST something and he Fly Fishes too.

Something is Fishy - Maybe there is a connection :D

You're the only other ESTJ I've seen on this Board. Jarhead claims to be an EST something and he Fly Fishes too.

Something is Fishy - Maybe there is a connection :D

Just like my hero :)

ISTJ - compassionate yet analytical?? Probably would have been straight INTJ until a serious accident a 6 or so years back landed me in the hospital for a long-term stay. I learned a lot about how much bad luck and circumstance play a role in life, and am grateful every day to have my health back. I now "seek first to understand" the lives of others before judging.

Right-handed INTJ here, yet also have a very strong passionate/emotional side as well.

According to
http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp

I have the following 'scores':
89.0 I
89.0 N
44.0 T
33.0 J

I absolutely LOVE numbers, crunching numbers, analyzing numbers, playing with numbers...technically, degrees in engineering and business, but can't stand engineering. Can't wait until I switch jobs next year to get something finance-related.

I think the large number of INTJs on this website is partly due to the 'foward-thinking' nature of many INTJs: many people just focus on the today's feelings and wants, rather than thinking "long-term, I want to do X when I'm 30, be doing Y when I'm 40, etc.". By looking at the long-term goals, they are able to see what is required to do that, and the FIRE awakening is much more likely to happen, rather than the 'I'll wake up tomorrow to go to work, so I can buy X, so I can enjoy tomorrow. The day after tomorrow, I'll go to work so I can buy Y...", which doesn't have as much potential to think far into the future to see that they are on a never-ending path to eternal wage slavation.

I guess I just don't fit, or maybe I wasn't being honest with myself when I took the test. Even though I came out ENFP, I too am a forward thinker and recognize too many people get enslaved by their objects that society says you should have. Fight Club, Brad Pitt's character: "We work jobs we hate to buy sh** we don't need." That movie had a profound affect on many of my friends and me.

I guess I just don't fit, or maybe I wasn't being honest with myself when I took the test.  Even though I came out ENFP, I too am a forward thinker and recognize too many people get enslaved by their objects that society says you should have.  Fight Club, Brad Pitt's character: "We work jobs we hate to buy sh** we don't need."  That movie had a profound affect on many of my friends and me.  

Hi laurencewill,

Honestly, don't take that study too seriously. Let me list just a few of the reasons why:

- The MBTI has been largely ignored by the professional community because it is based on . . . well, on almost nothing. It assumes that the personality of all people can be defined by four independent traits. There is no proof of this and no proof that the four traits the test defines are the right four or that they are independent. It assumes that those traits can be measured by asking questions that will reveal dichotomous preferences, rather than choices on a continuum. Again, there is no reason to believe this is true for all people.

- The actual test instructs that optimum use of the test requires a thorough understanding of the 16 personality types by the person who administers it and it describes the importance of getting the person who takes the test in the right frame of mind. With those kinds of controls, the test is deemed reliable only about 75% to 85% of the time. The test most people take on the internet (without the aid of a knowledgable administrator) is consistent with the full test only about 65% of the time. Do the math. Half of the people who are reporting their personality type may be wrong.

- The study that is cited is based on only 134 responses and only 32 of those respondants were actually retired. The sample is not a scientifically selected group, but just a bunch of folks who shared an internet discussion board. The study group's personality types are not even a poor approximation to that of the general population or even to the typical web user. For example, 52% of the general population and 19% of web users are type ESxx. But in the study, this group was represented by only 5% of the sample.

If there is anything to the study results, I'm guessing that people who score INTJ are typically crusty curmudgeons who don't play well with others and are convinced that the only solution is to drop out of all organized activities including the workplace. :p

Relax, guys. My toungue is firmly in my cheek.
:D :D :D

ENTP

Just looked around on some websites for some typical characteristics for my species. This is just a selection:

Bright and capable
Natural leaders, but do not like to control people
Resist being controlled by people
Highly value knowledge and competence
Dislike confining schedules and environments
Dislike routine, detailed tasks

Mmmm, and I wonder why I am so annoyed with the incompetent hierarchical mega corporate environment controlled by a bunch of dumb asses....

vicky

Back
Top Bottom