Rewarded for doing a good deed (NOT)

Good point, they should buy the parts themselves. No use digging a deeper hole of debt that they seem unwilling to pay !

It sounds like the still unused paint and electrical supplies are already purchased since the total material cost has been calculated and presented to the neighbor.

It sounds like maybe $100 or less. A gallon of paint (maybe two), a few electrical outlets and light fixtures. OP said the first, paint eating, coat of paint was already applied and the electrical was already roughed in.

No good will come from retaliatory responses. Be the better person and finish the project as promised. You’re a good, generous man. She will view any retaliation as justification for her not paying. You will just be aggravated by the whole thing for a long time. Keep the peace. She will likely pay in the spring.

+1

JP.mpls,
The woman's odd behavior had roots in something, and it could be dementia setting in. Finish it up in the spring, get the balance, and enjoy the party you have now.

I totally disagree. The OP's brother fronted the cost of materials expecting to be reimbursed... the materials are "installed" so that part is complete and he deserves to be reimbursed. The only part that is incomplete is what the offered to do for free.
Exactly. I can't believe how some people twist facts around to justify such behavior. :facepalm:

I agree with the idea not to invest any time or money in their shed until they're paid-up.

Also, (sorry if this has been mentioned), but I'd certainly lock it, and not give them the key! If they come asking, I'd say, "Wait, you want to use it, when you've only paid for half of the materials?"

Exactly. I can't believe how some people twist facts around to justify such behavior. :facepalm:

I haven't seen much "twisting facts around" or "justifying such behavior." Yes, some have been asking questions trying to figure out why the older folks are acting the way they are. I've seen "maybe they just don't have the money right now." "They're surprised by how much the materials are and don't understand." "Perhaps inadequate receipts were presented." Etc.

Most likely, they're either just insecure or feeling vulnerable. But maybe they are evil and cunning, trying to intentionally hurt OP and his cousin. At this stage we don't know.

We do know that posters going so far as to suggest that OP and his cousin burn down the shed are whacko.

Last edited:
I'm sticking with;

"Since you decided not to pay for what's there, we've decided to not work for free anymore"

I haven't seen much "twisting facts around" or "justifying such behavior." Yes, some have been asking questions trying to figure out why the older folks are acting the way they are. I've seen "maybe they just don't have the money right now." "They're surprised by how much the materials are and don't understand." "Perhaps inadequate receipts were presented." Etc.

Most likely, they're either just insecure or feeling vulnerable. But maybe they are evil and cunning, trying to intentionally hurt OP and his cousin. At this stage we don't know.

We do know that posters going so far as to suggest that OP and his cousin burn down the shed are whacko.
It sounds like you are trying to justify their behavior.

I agree with the idea not to invest any time or money in their shed until they're paid-up.

Is it worth postponing getting the other 50% of the material money over what OP described as a "no big deal" effort? Remember, the materials have already been purchased and the owed amount presented to the oldsters. The shed needs a second coat of paint and some "no big deal," quicky electrical work (that has already been roughed in).

I'm definitely not saying this is a justifiable situation. It's sad and a PITA. But it seems like going on a vengeful rampage (as some, not you, posters have suggested) seems like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Accept the fact that the old folks misunderstood how things were going to work, have been surprised by the current status for some reason or another or perhaps just can't think straight any longer. Invest a few more hours of additional labor (while you're doing the same thing to your shed simultaneously) and collect the money. Don't get involved in that kind of thing again.

I'm sticking with;

"Since you decided not to pay for what's there, we've decided to not work for free anymore"

Perhaps that is the easiest way out. The old couple's son could put on the second coat of paint since that's unskilled work and should go quickly. They could hire a handyman for a couple of hours to install the light fixtures and outlets since they've already been roughed in. No big deal.

Both sheds are finished. Everybody is happy.

Sorry, no time today for petty squabbles. Maybe someone else will take you on.

That's fine. I assume you reread my post and noted I wasn't trying to justify the old couple's action. Just trying to understand and think through the shortest route to a peaceful standoff where OP can enjoy his cabin without the burden of a dark cloud of hard feelings hanging over his and his neighbors' cottages.

No point in us all arguing with one another here...

We are also mentally "filling in the gaps" with our own priors, in the OP's telling of the events, but it's just as possible that either occurred:

A) this was a clear and obvious business transaction, and that the neighbors would pay $X for the shed by MM/DD, and they have breached that agreement

or...

B) this wasn't clearly spelled out, there were no firm prices or dates agreed to, months have gone by, the scope has changed, and some confusion has set in about the initial terms

I find it odd that so many are leaning towards A and condemning the neighbors (in some cases with some real vitriol). It could of course be A or B or something else in between or totally different.

I'm sticking with;

I like the direction of that... or to be more concilatory... "Once you pay for the rest of the materials that are installed, we'll finish the free work".... creates an impasse... then the other side will have to decide how much they appreciate free work or pick up a paint brush.

Amethyst, She has money. They had a big house, and the cabin next door, and a place in Phoenix. They recently sold off the big fancy house, because they spend half the year in Phoenix, and they were getting tired of taking care of three places.
The cabin next door was their "guest home".
Is it possible your neighbors (it's not just the woman, right? There's a husband, too?) are having trouble coming up with the money, and this is their way of hiding it?

Street, I will go to this extreme if she doesn't pay in full at some point.
This ^ I would be diplomatic about the issue thou. If is your building move it, give them a time line then pull, push, drag, burn but get it off of their land.

Eh, I would not burn down the shed as it is standing. That is against some fire code, plus it is still on their lot. That's not good.

If I were to burn it, I would first knock it down, and burn the firewood pile after I drag it to my property. :)

Gotta do everything right, lest people call me wacko or something. :LOL:

Last edited:
Dashman, this is how it will go.
I'm still disappointed in her.
I suspect she might feel bad about it when everything is settled.
Maybe not. She obviously doesn't think like me.
No good will come from retaliatory responses. Be the better person and finish the project as promised. You’re a good, generous man. She will view any retaliation as justification for her not paying. You will just be aggravated by the whole thing for a long time. Keep the peace. She will likely pay in the spring.

Ivinsfan
I did this to some degree.
When she handed me the partial check, I said, you realize all of the labor was free. She said, yes I know that.

She kind of surprised me. I should have questioned her motivation more thoroughly, but I didn't.

I suspect her thinking is that she wants the painting and electrical done prior to setting the bill, like we are her untrustworthy contractors.
Silly.
We are close to the end of cabin season, will all of you be at the cabin again this fall.

If so I would approach her and say I've been thinking you not wanting to pay the cost of materials in full. Is there something about the build you don't like, or do you feel we didn't give you an accurate bill? You've made things awkward between us when all we wanted was to do you a favor. Any idea how many hours the two of you spent on her shed. . Say we spent X hours building this for you and shouldn't need to stand around waiting to get our money back. Neighbor, you do realize we are out of pocket for this money.? Best to be honest..

Eh, I would not burn down the shed as it is standing. That is against some fire code, plus it is still on their lot. That's not good.

If I were to burn it, I would first knock it down, and burn the firewood pile after I drag it to my property. :)

Gotta do everything right, lest people call me wacko or something. :LOL:

Obviously burning it is the wrong thing to do. If half is owed and not paid in a timely manner I would give them what they had paid so far and then take the shed back. Then sell it, hopefully for a small profit.

She supplied her paint. A second coat on the trim is all that is left to do for painting on their shed.
Electrical is roughed in only.

Cousin hasn't sent her a copy of his material invoice. She claimed she didn't need to see this, but I'm going to ask him to send it anyway.

JP
It sounds like the still unused paint and electrical supplies are already purchased since the total material cost has been calculated and presented to the neighbor.

It sounds like maybe $100 or less. A gallon of paint (maybe two), a few electrical outlets and light fixtures. OP said the first, paint eating, coat of paint was already applied and the electrical was already roughed in.

Rich people that won't pay are truly disgusting.

Aerides,
It was undefined, because who could complain about a shed built for free.

Cousin has discussed the final product with them, and they both said they are very happy with the shed, and how it was built.

They either:
1) Think it cost too much (free labor, and material at contractors cost, but higher cost quality materials used).
OR
2) Think it is okay to hold back paying her contractors/neighbors in full until the job is 100% completed.

I'm not starting a retaliation war over this.
I would give her back her half payment, and pull the shed over to our land if a full payment isn't received at some point.

A neighborly friendship has been damaged, and I consider that a bummer, and inverse of what our intentions were.
No point in us all arguing with one another here...

We are also mentally "filling in the gaps" with our own priors, in the OP's telling of the events, but it's just as possible that either occurred:

A) this was a clear and obvious business transaction, and that the neighbors would pay $X for the shed by MM/DD, and they have breached that agreement

or...

B) this wasn't clearly spelled out, there were no firm prices or dates agreed to, months have gone by, the scope has changed, and some confusion has set in about the initial terms

I find it odd that so many are leaning towards A and condemning the neighbors (in some cases with some real vitriol). It could of course be A or B or something else in between or totally different.

JP, like I posted earlier, finish the job and move on. Do the best job you can and feel good about it. Life is short. Go to Florida with your new partner and have a good winter out of the cold, wet snow! :)

This is just a bump in the road.

Back
Top Bottom