Rewarded for doing a good deed (NOT)

I haven't read the entire thread but is there any chance that they have a cash flow problem. Given that they are older perhaps they need next year's RMD to cover the cost. Maybe they were being selfless and didn't want to deprive you of an opportunity to feel good about doing something nice for your long time neighbors so they couldn't bring themselves to say no despite it stretching their resources.

You did a nice thing. Be happy about it. Let them be happy about it. Life is too short. If you get all of your money at the end why would you let it impact your relationship with them. Perhaps if you were going to be touchy about it you should have asked for a deposit or agreed on a hold back or whatever. 'I shall pass this way but once...'

When I was a kid I worked in a hardware store. A guy came in to pick up his repaired storm windows and said the price was too high and wasn't going to pay. Boss walked around the counter and put his foot through both windows and said, "You are back where you started, now GTF outta here." :LOL:

Even then I relished the instant satisfaction. :dance:

Obviously burning it is the wrong thing to do. If half is owed and not paid in a timely manner I would give them what they had paid so far and then take the shed back. Then sell it, hopefully for a small profit.

I asked the OP if the shed is movable, and if he replied I have not seen it.

I said that if it was movable, I would return the 1/2 check, pull the shed over to my property and enjoy having two.

How are the neighbors going to complain about that? Not getting free stuff?

I'm not starting a retaliation war over this.
I would give her back her half payment, and pull the shed over to our land if a full payment isn't received at some point.

A neighborly friendship has been damaged, and I consider that a bummer, and inverse of what our intentions were.

+1

I haven't read the entire thread but is there any chance that they have a cash flow problem. Given that they are older perhaps they need next year's RMD to cover the cost...

If I were the neighbors and had a cash flow problem, I would say so and profusely apologize for having to pay the other 1/2 later. I would not tie it to the completion of the free job.

If we are to believe the OP, then there is absolutely no excuse for their behavior.

Of course, they might have thought that the shed should have cost just $100, and were surprised at the real cost. We don't know what communications took place between the parties during the construction, or if the neighbors were informed along the way.

I am not knowledgeable in this area; but could they sue you or your cousin later for anything bad that happens in the shed? For example, they trip on a slightly raised bit of molding, or something with the electrical wiring. Without a written contract, is there a performance expectation, legally speaking?

That said, I would finish the job, get the money, and move on with your life. Decide as time goes by, instead of now, how you will react to the neighbors going forward. You may have a laugh about it in the future, when they tell you that they put you in their wills!

-BB

I don't like looking back what we should have or shouldn't have but to look ahead and hopefully learned a lesson of life.

Agree. This falls into the "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me" class in the life lessons curriculum.

I would just finish their job, show them that it is finished, then they have no excuse not to pay.

It does not seem that not having the funds is causing pestilence and starvation. Also, since you will have to still deal with them on other things due to the nature of the neighborhood you mentioned, it is best to just bite the bullet on this one and file it away for future reference when dealing with them.

About people trying to cheat, I just recalled this incidence.

My nephew who is a pharmacist told me this story. An older woman came to his store, begging to have some pills of her prescription medicine. Said she did not have money, and would come next week to get the rest of the pills when she got money.

Next time she came in, she demanded a whole bottle, and denied ever receiving some advance. My nephew said he put aside her partial bottle and now he had to throw it away.

My nephew also said he told the woman that she was no longer welcome at his store, and she should go elsewhere for her medicine.

It just occurs to me now that perhaps the woman was demented. One thing for sure is that my nephew would never again be nice and advance any medicine ever again.

If I were the neighbors and had a cash flow problem, I would say so and profusely apologize for having to pay the other 1/2 later. I would not tie it to the completion of the free job.

If we are to believe the OP, then there is absolutely no excuse for their behavior.

Of course, they might have thought that the shed should have cost just $100, and were surprised at the real cost. We don't know what communications took place between the parties during the construction, or if the neighbors were informed along the way.
People, generally, are reluctant to talk about money issues so I don't know if I would expect the neighbor to be forthcoming in that area. If I were the neighbor, even if the cost were much more than I expected, I would dig into my LOC and pay the amount, and it would be a lesson learned on my side.

This is very much what is meant when people talk about what happens when we Ass-U-Me things. Again, my advice to the OP would be to keep in mind your original motivation and not let this ruin what could be a positive experience for all involved.

It can never be a positive experience now or anytime in the future.

Next spring when they all get together the demented people will say what's this shed doing here on our property?

It can never be a positive experience now or anytime in the future.

Next spring when they all get together the demented people will say what's this shed doing here on our property?

Would that be a bad thing?

The OP can then offer to remove it, and the neighbors probably forget about the 1/2 check also. :)

No, not at all. Said that's in the plan anyway.

I'm of the "fool me once" club too. Fool me once and I write you off forever. That way you can't fool me twice.

One option not mentioned so far is the possibility of filing a Mechanic's Lien for the last 50%. Finishing the job is not a requirement. It can be done for the materials only, such as this instance. One would have to check the requirements in their locale to see if an individual can file. Whether a licensed workman is required or even a written contract. It sure puts you and the cousin in less deeper riff compared to removing the shed.

As I mentioned earlier, rather than do anything else, I would stand tall and finish the work, then work out the money issue.

There seems to have been a misunderstanding of the relationship here. You thought you were doing a favor for a neighbor. The neighbor thought she was hiring a contractor. In most cases where one hires a contractor, one doesn't pay the full bill until the work is complete. That's how you make sure it gets done.

So, I would finish the shed and then present the bill. But I would be fully aware in the future that she does not view you as her equal or her friendly neighbor, and I would let that knowledge govern any further interactions.

As a last resort, if she won't pay for the other half of the materials after the shed is complete, you might find out if you can file a mechanic's lien on the property. You could do that here in Connecticut if you have constructed improvements on someone's property and have not been paid as agreed. You don't even need a lawyer to do it.

I wouldn't engage in the other previously suggested methods of "self-help". That will probably result in nothing but grief for you.

Well, after all of this speculation, I sure we hear what finally goes down! I find myself wondering if this would all be sorted if everyone sat down with a couple of beers and some munchies. If the OP went into such a gathering without an agenda beyond just getting to hang out with the neighbors, waiting for them to bring up the shed, and just listening, that may result in a happy resolution.

Last edited:
Yes, a misunderstanding of relationship indeed. What part of "free labor" didn't she understand? How many "free labor" contractors does she hire? A lot I guess if that is her expectation.

I just contracted 3 Tuff Sheds. One 6x18, one 6x8 and one 10x12. No finish work inside. Fourteen thousand dollars.

Amazing. But those people are out there eh? And when you meet one you better run!

Yes, a misunderstanding of relationship indeed. What part of "free labor" didn't she understand? How many "free labor" contractors does she hire? A lot I guess if that is her expectation.

Maybe she suspects that they'll make up the labor cost by marking up the materials. Like I said, she doesn't appear to view him as just a friendly neighbor doing her a favor.

Precisely. And that's why I write her off as a person of zero further interest. A drag on humanity. A selfish user concerned only about herself with no regard for others.

So many retaliatory reactions posted. None of them will serve any purpose. The neighbors will have the winter to think about the partially finished shed. Wait for them to ask you about finishing their shed in the spring.

When they do, give them a list of the materials still needed to finish the job, and state that since they have owe you for materials previously purchased, they will need to purchase any subsequent materials for completion of their shed. The list should be very specific, so they don't go cheap on the electrical. That might be a good time to ask that they pay for the materials already put into the shed.

This puts the ball squarely in their court, so that you don't put out good money after bad. You are under no obligation to finish the shed. But if they buy the materials, and maybe pay you what you are owed, you can complete the work. If you choose to complete the work before getting paid for the materials already purchased, get a signed contract.

If they then fail to pay the outstanding balance, a contract makes it easier to take them to small claims court.

Consider the possibility that they cannot afford to pay the full amount of the materials purchased right now, and they might be embarrassed to admit it.

Even with 3 houses?

So many retaliatory reactions posted. None of them will serve any purpose. The neighbors will have the winter to think about the partially finished shed. Wait for them to ask you about finishing their shed in the spring....

I don't think not letting someone get something for which they do not pay is a retaliatory reaction.

Of course, I hope they will pay the OP for the material cost, but even after that, would you still view them as "friends"?

... give them a list of the materials still needed to finish the job, and state that since they have owe you for materials previously purchased, they will need to purchase any subsequent materials for completion of their shed. The list should be very specific, so they don't go cheap on the electrical. That might be a good time to ask that they pay for the materials already put into the shed...

The above, I suggested.

Now, suppose they refuse to pay, saying the shed is not completed. What does the OP do?

If the OP returns the 1/2 check and takes possession of the shed, is that fair? Or should he just let them have it?

Last edited:
Neither do I. I would feel that all my labor was wasted and I was out money. I would be so put off that I would do absolutely nothing in the future. Not even speak.

Because I'm speechless!

Even if you were speechless, you probably could still type, and go to a forum like this to vent. ;)

Last edited:
Yeah Baby!

Maybe, just maybe mind you...you come back here and finish up all that free labor you promised 6 months ago and if we really like it we just might pay you what we stiffed you for half a year ago.

Cause we're really nice people.

Robbie,
I must admit I'm pissed off enough that all of your suggestions sound good to me.

My cousin paid for the material. They still owe him for half.

I asked him to forward her the invoice to eliminate the " over charging her" theory.

He said, he had nice long talk with her on the phone, and he is okay with it. He wants me to relax.

I told him he is a better man than me, with way more patience.

PS: I also told him I would pay him what she owes, because I'm the one not done with the job.

If either one of us gets riled up about something, we tell the other one to "calm down Pete Sweaty Balls" (see old Saturday Night live skit).

That's what he said to me. Calm down PSB.

Anyway, I will report back in the spring with a follow up.

JP
Yeah Baby!

Maybe, just maybe mind you...you come back here and finish up all that free labor you promised 6 months ago and if we really like it we just might pay you what we stiffed you for half a year ago.

Cause we're really nice people.

How much money are we talking about for the materials for 1 shed :confused:

Lots of folks suggested the people couldn't afford it, and so now I'm really curious how expensive this could be ?

I built a 12x8 shed a long time ago with vinyl siding and it shingled roof, on concrete pillars. The materials came to $1,500.

Back
Top Bottom