RIP Prince Phillip

Nick12

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
The Queen has announced that her husband passed away in Windsor Castle at age 99.

WWII veteran. Signed up as a teenager, saw action with the NAVY & had his wings as an RAF pilot.

He looked like a guy you could have a beer with.

One of the cool things about Prince Philip was that he loved to cook out on the grill and did it a lot. You wouldn't expect that from him without knowing him.

The Queen has announced that her husband passed away in Windsor Castle at age 99.
I realize everybody's got to go sometime, but I feel sorry for the Queen. It's sad to lose a spouse after so many years together. I didn't pay much attention to him but he seemed like a good, solid guy and probably meant a lot to her.

At least he was able to pass away at home instead of at the hospital.

It seems like they were a good match in what must be a difficult way to live.

It seems like they were a good match in what must be a difficult way to live.
In the 73 years of marriage Phillip had to walk two paces behind his wife the Queen at all times.

In the 73 years of marriage Phillip had to walk two paces behind his wife the Queen at all times.

My wife always walks a few feet behind me when we go shopping. Drives me crazy. I'm constantly looking behind me to see if she is still there or if she stopped to look at something. It's hard to have a conversation with someone behind you. Get up here and walk next to me, or at least get in front of me. Sheesh...

I could never be a royal. :)

One of the cool things about Prince Philip was that he loved to cook out on the grill and did it a lot. You wouldn't expect that from him without knowing him.

That was an enjoyable video, thanks for the link. It sounds like cooking and eating with the Duke would have been a very pleasurable experience. :)

Lived a good, long life.

The part of that sentence that amazes me most is that they were married for 73 years! Wow.

My guess is that where he walked was probably just following many centuries of tradition and formality.

When I lived in Canada, in 1959 I saw Prince Phillip just a few feet away as I was standing on the street corner in Toronto waiting for the light to change. He was sitting in the back seat of a limousine that was turning right, right in front of me. What a handsome guy he was back then.

omni

Last edited:
WWII veteran. Signed up as a teenager, saw action with the NAVY & had his wings as an RAF pilot.

He looked like a guy you could have a beer with.
During their engagement I read the Royal family did not approve of Phillip who had no financial standing and was in the Navy. In the end Elizabeth and Phillip ( Elizabeth's third cousin ) got married and were married for 73 years.

Last edited:
Well he was from the Greek and Danish Royal families, so I guess that counted.

Well he was from the Greek and Danish Royal families, so I guess that counted.

It depends, the Greek royal family was banished from Greece in the 1902s and had to escape into exile. He had a rough life growing up, not at all like one would imagine of royalty.

He was definitely down to earth. MIL is from a country that was once part of the British empire that the King and Queen visited when she lived there. She had relatives who met him who said he was genuinely nice and had no "airs" about him. He did say more than his share of gaffes, but from an "actions speak louder than words" standpoint he definitely seemed to like and support all sorts of people. RIP.

He has a lot of them on YT, from his days as the royal chef. Some very good recipes and interesting anecdotes.

I thought that salmon pastry recipe looked fantastic. I’ll be trying it out. I watched the video for the prince Phillip story, not expecting to find a great recipe

My wife always walks a few feet behind me when we go shopping. Drives me crazy. I'm constantly looking behind me to see if she is still there or if she stopped to look at something. It's hard to have a conversation with someone behind you. Get up here and walk next to me, or at least get in front of me. Sheesh...

I could never be a royal. :)
It is tough being a Royal. No one is allowed to start eating until the Queen starts to eat and when the Queen stops eating everyone present must stop eating their meal.

I had a Beefeater martini in his honor this evening. I may again sometime in the next 8 days of official mourning.

He'd likely approve.

He and my dad and uncles helped win the same war. Good guy he was.

Mentioned before that I had to dodge his car in a narrow alley/street close to the palace. Cool! My brush with royalty.

I literally bumped into Phil circa 1980. He and Madge were in Sydney to celebrate the 75th anniversary of the Royal Australian Navy. Attending a pre-concert cocktail reception at the Sydney Opera House, a somewhat crowded affair, I took a step back and bumped into someone, turning around to offer apologies I was staring into the face of the Prince, Mrs Mountbatten standing by his side!

We just smiled at each other and got back to our respective conversations......surreal! :)

The thing I most remember was that, given how large the couple loomed on the world stage, how little they both were :)

Flying my Royal Navy White Ensign in remembrance during the mourning period. RIP.

Braemar Highland Games, September 2015

My friend took this photo of The Queen and Prince Phillip on our trip to Scotland back in 2015.
We had seats next to the Royal Pavilion.

We were both pretty thrilled, I must admit.

Attachments

• EBCAB2D6-B683-4408-A4D5-F8E75EADEB84.jpeg
    EBCAB2D6-B683-4408-A4D5-F8E75EADEB84.jpeg
    314.9 KB · Views: 59
Back
Top Bottom