RIP: Ralph Stanley

The original stars of bluegrass are just about gone.

Can you imagine how many miles Ralph Stanley put on automobiles/buses in his career? Many of the bluegrass people travel 100,000 miles a year on the ground doing one nighters.

I have a good friend that has been a picker since he was about 10 years old. He had the pleasure of sitting with him on his tour bus several times and was able to buy one of his banjos. He said that he was one of the nicest, most cordial person he has ever met.

Speaking of pickers, if you aren't aware, Steve Martin is a pretty good picker too...has even won a couple of Grammys.

I have a good friend that has been a picker since he was about 10 years old. He had the pleasure of sitting with him on his tour bus several times and was able to buy one of his banjos. He said that he was one of the nicest, most cordial person he has ever met.

Speaking of pickers, if you aren't aware, Steve Martin is a pretty good picker too...has even won a couple of Grammys.

Steve is a pretty good picker. I saw him a few years ago with the Steep Canyon Rangers at Delfest and it was a good show (between thunderstorms). He's entertaining, of course, and the band was excellent. But the difference between him, a very talented amateur, and some of the pros that were also there, was obvious. It's like the difference between a Double A ball player and a major leaguer. Both are far beyond my ability, but there was also a significant gap between them. Some of the others at the fest were Bela Fleck, Jason Carter (Travelin' McCourys), Tim Carbone (Railroad Earth), and even Sam Bush, who although is mainly a mandolin player also plays a mean fiddle. I had seen Steve Martin playing fiddle on TV before and thought he was great, but it was still amazing to see the difference.

As far as Ralph Stanley, I never got to see him, but I wish I had. RIP.

Steve is a pretty good picker. I saw him a few years ago with the Steep Canyon Rangers at Delfest and it was a good show (between thunderstorms). He's entertaining, of course, and the band was excellent. But the difference between him, a very talented amateur, and some of the pros that were also there, was obvious.

No doubt. I also saw Steve w/ the Rangers a couple of months ago when he came to town with Martin Short. They did a variety show of sorts and it was one of the best shows I have seen in a while.

We were fortunate enough to see Ralph Stanley a few years ago at his mountaintop bluegrass festival. We just happened across a flyer in a fast food restaurant when we were driving through western VA and decided to stop by. Great fun! Sorry to hear he's gone.

My favorite from Mr. Stanley was this duet (particularly the look on his face when she held that note so long):

Last edited:
Steve is a pretty good picker. I saw him a few years ago with the Steep Canyon Rangers at Delfest and it was a good show (between thunderstorms). He's entertaining, of course, and the band was excellent. But the difference between him, a very talented amateur, and some of the pros that were also there, was obvious. It's like the difference between a Double A ball player and a major leaguer. Both are far beyond my ability, but there was also a significant gap between them. Some of the others at the fest were Bela Fleck, Jason Carter (Travelin' McCourys), Tim Carbone (Railroad Earth), and even Sam Bush, who although is mainly a mandolin player also plays a mean fiddle. I had seen Steve Martin playing fiddle on TV before and thought he was great, but it was still amazing to see the difference.

Major senior moment. I jumped from banjo players to fiddle players in the middle of a sentence. I'm thinking this new baby exhaustion is taking more out of me than I realized.

Major senior moment. I jumped from banjo players to fiddle players in the middle of a sentence. I'm thinking this new baby exhaustion is taking more out of me than I realized.

We'll let it go this time.:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom