RIP Sally Ride

I always envied Sally Ride. She traveled into space, something I always wanted to do.
Go Baby Go!

I admired her so much, as did many of us. It's hard to believe that she is gone. :(

"The stars don't look bigger, but they do look brighter." Sally Ride

Thank you Sally for creating a sparkle in my eyes.

RIP Sally. I admired Sally Ride as the first woman in space along with all the women pilots. Women like Jackie Cochran, the first woman to break the sound barrier. Also, all the women of WWII who ferried the new planes from the factories to the various bases. I believe they were the WAC's or the WAVE's. Took guts.

Sad to hear this and she was only 61 years old. :(

Wow, bummer! I lost my mother to the same disease at age 63 almost 20 years ago. They haven't made much progress against this particular cancer, I guess.

Wow, bummer! I lost my mother to the same disease at age 63 almost 20 years ago. They haven't made much progress against this particular cancer, I guess.

+1
For whatever reason, it seems to take some of the best and the brightest - think Randy Pausch, Steve Jobs, and now Sally Ride. Very sad.

+1
For whatever reason, it seems to take some of the best and the brightest - think Randy Pausch, Steve Jobs, and now Sally Ride. Very sad.
My mother was diagnosed just a couple of years after Michael Landon passed away at 54 from the disease. She was a big fan of his and his death hit her hard. Ironic. Lately we lost Patrick Swayze, 57.

I consider Steve Jobs an exception as he really had a different kind of cancer and survived far longer than most pancreatic cancer victims. Still - amazing what he accomplished still after being diagnosed.

Unfortunately her partner of 27 years not subject to some of the benefits many on this board take as a given. Sorry if you think that is political, but if you cannot marry you must do a lot of maneuvering to plan the best you can.

Unfortunately her partner of 27 years not subject to some of the benefits many on this board take as a given. Sorry if you think that is political, but if you cannot marry you must do a lot of maneuvering to plan the best you can.

I can't totally maneuver around it. I am not allowed to put my partner of 24 years on my health care plan or my pension. We can not just move money between accounts or it will be considered 'gifting'. And, if one of us dies before the other, the survivor may be subjected to estate taxes.

This makes retirement planning even more difficult.

Back
Top Bottom