Road Rage!

With my car's mirrors set a certain way there is no blind spot...either behind or beside me. That's not an opinion, it's a fact.

This is true. Learned this little trick at the BMW school where I picked up my car. Takes getting used to a bit.

Then you can temporarily adjust the mirrors to see the back end of your car for that purpose. Although I think that backing into a parking spot is more risky than just heading in to begin with. And it's annoying when the person backing into a parking spot does so without regard to other drivers, making others stop while they try to back into the parking space, which usually takes longer. :facepalm:

Backing into a spot is safer. If pull in you then are (almost always) obliged to reverse out into the great unknown

https://www.automotive-fleet.com/132822/aaa-warns-against-pull-forward-parking
In partnership with the Automobile Club of Southern California’s Automotive Research Center, AAA tested rear cross-traffic alert systems designed to alert drivers to traffic passing behind a reversing vehicle. Researchers found that significant system limitations exist when a car is parked between larger vehicles, such as SUVs or minivans.

In this common parking lot scenario, AAA said, the tested systems failed to detect pedestrians, bicyclists, motorcycles and other vehicles at alarming rates:

A passing motorcycle was not detected by the systems in 48 percent of tests.
The systems failed to detect a bicycle passing behind the vehicle 40 percent of the time.
The systems failed to detect a passing vehicle 30 percent of the time.
While not all systems are designed to detect pedestrians, the technology failed to detect pedestrians 60 percent of the time.

and I'll just leave this here. George Carlin on driving
https://youtu.be/XWPCE2tTLZQ

Last edited:
I was commenting just the other day, how amazing it is to see someone backup those big trucks into a space that I'd be nervous about backing my van into... :flowers:
These are true professionals. My niece's husband is a long haul trucker and he can back a trailer, any size, through the eye of a needle. Just amazing skill.

These are true professionals. My niece's husband is a long haul trucker and he can back a trailer, any size, through the eye of a needle. Just amazing skill.

I drove for about 10 years. So at the campground I have more than once backed a 5th wheel or travel trailer in. I usually asked them which side of the pad they wanted it on. "do you want 12" to the dirt or do you want a bit more?"

Once in a while i would have to help a OTR trucker to back his trailer in to our dock. I would have them drop the trailer and i would hook & back it in. The issue was usually the extended wheel base truck to accomodate the sleeper

Then you can temporarily adjust the mirrors to see the back end of your car for that purpose. Although I think that backing into a parking spot is more risky than just heading in to begin with. And it's annoying when the person backing into a parking spot does so without regard to other drivers, making others stop while they try to back into the parking space, which usually takes longer. :facepalm:

With my car, I could back in rather quickly. Now I actually drive a pickup and frankly, I kinda suck at parking it. However, it is actually easier to back it in to a tight space than it is to pull it in. The place I hate is Costco. If you back in, then you don't really have access to the rear of the truck to put in your stuff.

As for adjusting my mirrors in order to back up, that doesn't interest me at all. I'd be messing with my mirrors too much. That might also add to the annoyance to other drivers. Not only do I back in, I need to adjust my mirrors first.

Last, like I said, I've found that all I have to do is lean forward and the angle of the mirror changes to eliminate any blind spot. Similar angle to the one people are discussing. Then, to get my angle back the way I like it, all I need to do is sit back. Bottom line is that if one is not being careful, it doesn't matter what angle the mirror is at.

A personal pitfall I experienced when trying to turn my head quickly to the side to see if someone was in my blind spot, was that my vision was blocked by the interior of my own vehicle, specifically the area between the driver's door and the rear passenger door.
This is actually something I consider when acquiring a new vehicle. I always check for the all-around visibility with the driver seat adjusted to the position in which I was driving.

Some cars have poor visibility out the rear window. Another problem area in some vehicles is the space between the rear doors and the rear window.

There was a guy in Michigan a few years back that got shot doing this. The shooter claimed he was afraid for his life. As I recall, he went to jail but the guy who got out of his car died. :(

Road rage is real. It's sad people don't even recognize how they are putting their and others' lives in danger. Glad that OP and his wife were safe.

There are two parts to road rage in almost every scenario- the person with the anger and the person who sparked that anger. In most cases, it's a really bad idea to be either person.

If someone is tailgating you, flashing their lights, or otherwise exhibiting a behavior indicating they want you out of their way, then get out of their way. If that means turning off the road, pulling into a driveway, or simply changing lanes, do it. Being "right" because you weren't breaking a law (though in many states you are breaking the law if you're "inhibiting the flow of traffic"), isn't worth risking your life and the life of anyone in your vehicle or near it. That person who's getting angry is driving a weapon that can harm you, your passengers, and anyone close enough to end up as collateral damage from an attack they may decide to make.

The reason that so many states have made "slower traffic keep right" laws and similar is for your safety and the safety of everyone on the road. That the law(s) the road rager is breaking are more serious than anything you're doing wrong will be of little consolation to your next of kin.

When encountering someone with road rage, get out of the way as soon as possible (including changing your planned route, speed, etc as necessary) and be as "invisible" as possible. Don't honk, don't flip them off, don't flash your lights, just be meek and humble. It isn't worth aggravating the situation just to express your displeasure. They're already clearly angry and it's a bad idea to poke a bear.

My wife is always looking for a deal so we take the AARP driving course every couple years. It is inexpensive, on-line, so convenient and lowers your insurance. What they stress is 1 second for each 10 miles an hour. You watch the car in front of you pass some object bridge, sign car whatever and count how many seconds before you pass that same object. Tailgaters cause countless accidents

What someone tail gates me they IMHO are putting me and family at risk. I slow down and get out of their way when I safely can. I am all a big boy now <b>I wont join the idiots club </b>. No doubt about it their are some really bad drivers out there.

That is actually bad advice. Your reaction time doesn’t lengthen with speed, and it takes just as long for the car ahead to stop. 2-4 second rule.

When I moved to PA 20 years ago, I noticed a lot more non-aggressive tailgating here. It seems that our local culture is that if you tailgate in the left lane, it is a signal that you are communicating that you want to go faster than the car in front of you. So I quickly learned to oblige by moving to the right on a 4 lane road.

Thinking that way allowed me to stop getting upset at tailgating behavior for the most part.

I never want to call attention to myself when a road rager appears. Just get out of the way. If I feel like flipping the bird, I do it, but next to the driver’s door below the window. No one can see.

Twice I found myself at the receiving end of road rage. First, I was driving on highway 1 north through Pacifica on a foggy night after a day at the beach. A car had tailgated me through Devil’s slide, not an easy thing to do. When the road opened up to 4 lanes, I moved right and he continued to tailgate me. I moved left and he moved left. This went on for a couple of miles. Finally I saw my chance. As we approached a red light, I was able to get into the right lane when there was too small of an opening in traffic for him to follow. I turned right onto a street in a neighborhood I knew well. I quickly turned to another side street, turned around, parked, and turned off the car. We ducked so the car would look unoccupied.

We waited a few minutes and went on our merry way.

In the second case, I was on Mathilda Avenue in Sunnyvale, middle of the day. I’m at a stoplight and a lady pulls beside me, rolls down her window, and starts yelling at me. I have no clue what she thought I did. After making many nonsense unscheduled turns, which made it clear she was following me, I drove to the police station. I pulled into the parking lot, jumped out and ran inside. She actually blocked my car in the parking lot until she realized she was at the police station, which only occurred to her when I came back out with an officer! She took off.

Two rules while driving:

1. Stay as far away from other cars and objects as you safely can.

2. Stay out of the way of other drivers.

There are two parts to road rage in almost every scenario- the person with the anger and the person who sparked that anger. In most cases, it's a really bad idea to be either person.
Being "right" because you weren't breaking a law (though in many states you are breaking the law if you're "inhibiting the flow of traffic"), isn't worth risking your life and the life of anyone in your vehicle or near it.

But many times there is just one part of road rage. The rager induces a phantom offense on person 2. I mean, this person did absolutely nothing wrong. They are even keeping up with the flow of traffic and not inhibiting anybody. But for what ever reason, the rager sees an offense and must correct the behavior of the ragee. And that's when it is really scary.

I know you are implying that many cases are due to slow drivers in left lanes (or any lane), and I won't disagree. I'm just saying that sometimes that person did nothing wrong.

A good example of this is the following. The road rager is driving on an empty two lane road. Somebody turns in front of them 1/4 mile ahead and gets up to speed. Their speed may be only 1 or 2 miles per hour slower than the rager. However, the rager is now mad at the "idiot" who "cut in front of them". I mean, nothing happened, it is simply that the rager is mad that someone -- anyone -- is in front of them.

Road rage is bad, but there are also a lot of drivers who drive inappropriately and get honked at and then immediately assume it's road rage rather than realizing that they were wrong.

But many times there is just one part of road rage. The rager induces a phantom offense on person 2. I mean, this person did absolutely nothing wrong. They are even keeping up with the flow of traffic and not inhibiting anybody. But for what ever reason, the rager sees an offense and must correct the behavior of the ragee. And that's when it is really scary.

I agree with this. In fact, you can be doing nothing wrong at all and still be the subject of road rage. This has happened to DW and I on things such as:

- Going 5-10 miles above the speed limit on a single lane road, and someone wanting to go 20+ miles
- Having a differing opinion than what is on a bumper sticker (we have learned to no longer use bumper stickers)
- Not responding to a verbal comment
- Being a different ethnic background

I am patient, go with the flow, and happy yield to other folks in a rush... but there can be folks out there who are just looking for a confrontation to "prove" their superiority.

I know you are implying that many cases are due to slow drivers in left lanes (or any lane), and I won't disagree. I'm just saying that sometimes that person did nothing wrong.

A good example of this is the following. The road rager is driving on an empty two lane road. Somebody turns in front of them 1/4 mile ahead and gets up to speed. Their speed may be only 1 or 2 miles per hour slower than the rager. However, the rager is now mad at the "idiot" who "cut in front of them". I mean, nothing happened, it is simply that the rager is mad that someone -- anyone -- is in front of them.

I agree. By person who "sparked" that anger I realize it implies "fault" the way I said it, and many times there is fault but not always. Even if not at fault in any reasonable way, however, getting out of the way is still (in my opinion) the best course of action.

Although I think that backing into a parking spot is more risky than just heading in to begin with. And it's annoying when the person backing into a parking spot does so without regard to other drivers, making others stop while they try to back into the parking space, which usually takes longer. :facepalm:

Not to hijack, but we agree completely on this. Not only takes longer but inevitably these backers need 2-3 runs at the spot to get in, an inconvenience and a hazard.

Then when they drive out of the space there are of course no brake lights nor backup lights visible, creating a new hazard.

Imagine if they ALSO have to adjust their mirrors when entering the space and again upon leaving.

Road rage is bad, but there are also a lot of drivers who drive inappropriately and get honked at and then immediately assume it's road rage rather than realizing that they were wrong.
The custom in the USA is to assume a honk means "something wrong was done." In most places, it means, "I'm here and you may not see me, so be aware." And in an emergency, "Halt! I'm here!" That was the original intent of the device. When I try to use it in a way that announces my presence in a non-emergency way, road rage tends to occur. So, I stopped.

In India, they take it to the opposite extreme by almost constantly honking.

I agree. By person who "sparked" that anger I realize it implies "fault" the way I said it, and many times there is fault but not always. Even if not at fault in any reasonable way, however, getting out of the way is still (in my opinion) the best course of action.
Agree! I frequently pull over or turn while being tailgated. Let 'em go.

Folks who complain about "only mirror drivers" obviously have never driven a large truck. Ever see an 18 wheeler driver turn their head around? Hint: it doesn't work. Proper adjustment of mirrors does.

Yep, I agree with you there. More people are driving larger trucks and SUV's these days with limited visibility. In those cases mirrors are a necessity. Of course, knowing they have reduced visibility they should be extra cautious but I rarely find that to be true. Around here anyway, the bigger the vehicle, the crazier they drive.

I've always driven small cars with 360 degree visibility. I'll take looking with my own eyes over relying on a mirror any day. But as you say, that's not an option with many vehicles.

In any case, if people would slow down and leave more space none of this would be an issue.

With my car, I could back in rather quickly. Now I actually drive a pickup and frankly, I kinda suck at parking it. However, it is actually easier to back it in to a tight space than it is to pull it in.

Don't get me started on pickup trucks in parking lots... :)

I frequently see one of two scenarios.

1. A large extended cab truck pulls into a spot close to the store with the tail end of their long truck sticking out into traffic while they shop.

2. Large trucks and SUV's park in the "compact" parking spots, either overlapping adjoining parking spaces or sticking out into traffic as in the first example.

I realize some people have limited mobility and need to park close to the store, but most people are just lazy. They'll park their monster truck in one of the front spots to avoid walking another 30 feet. I usually park my small car farther out in the lot anyway just to avoid squeezing in between the trucks and leave the closer spots for those who need them. But if I'm pulling my utility trailer I park way out at the end of the lot.

Just yesterday I must have waited five minutes to get out of the grocery store parking lot because a guy in a big jacked up pickup truck was jockeying back and forth to park in the very front parking space.

At the same time, it annoys me that parking lots have such small parking places to begin with. For example, the local hospital parking garage has almost all compact parking spots. There's so little room between vehicles you can hardly get out of your car. Not very convenient when we're trying to get our elderly mothers out of our cars. I wish they would give up one or two parking spaces in each row to make each parking spot wider. With most people driving trucks and SUV's these days, you would think they would size the parking spaces to accommodate them.

The custom in the USA is to assume a honk means "something wrong was done."

In front of my house, honking means there is a deer in the road. :)

People always honk to try to get the deer to move but the deer just stand there and look at them and move when they're ready.

In front of my house, honking means there is a deer in the road. :)

People always honk to try to get the deer to move but the deer just stand there and look at them and move when they're ready.
We lived in MI for 8 years. Deer everywhere, even in busier parts of town where forests and lakes are near by. I used to see deer edging towards the road, when I honked they turned around and ran the opposite way. The scary times were at dusk, when they all came out. Too many deer accidents to mention when they come out of nowhere and jump in front of speeding cars. Bad outcome for both deer and driver.

At the same time, it annoys me that parking lots have such small parking places to begin with. For example, the local hospital parking garage has almost all compact parking spots. There's so little room between vehicles you can hardly get out of your car. Not very convenient when we're trying to get our elderly mothers out of our cars. I wish they would give up one or two parking spaces in each row to make each parking spot wider. With most people driving trucks and SUV's these days, you would think they would size the parking spaces to accommodate them.

I wondered if it was my imagination that parking spaces haven't gotten any wider, while they've made vehicles wider. Thanks for confirming it's not just my imagination.

Back
Top Bottom