RV industry predicting recession

Lemme check...

investing_psychology.gif

We need to add to the end of the plot:

" 20. Got money out the wazoo. Need to blow dough". :cool:

Last edited:
Yep, I think this thread should just be shut down as being political, that's really all that article is. The author doesn't like someone. Fine, but that is supposedly not allowed on this forum.

-ERD50

I apologize to you and the forum, for posting the article, which I thought was fairly innocent. I saw the headline last week and skimmed over it and thought it was giving another point of view on the state of the economy. I actually never read the last paragraph until today when Red Badger brought it to my attention. I won't be posting unless I'm more careful. :flowers:

I like this forethought. I heard it before in 2000. Do a search.

I hear many claim that that's their retirements nirvana.

:blush:Good Luck!

Well, if you are looking to a BLOG that is run by a guy that has lifetime ban from securities trading, then you get what you pay for. Don't get your info from Zero Hedge...just don't.

To be fair...I could give a dozen of examples of blatant and damaging lies by the top half dozen news organizations in 2019 alone. And dozens more from 2018. Even worse, many of them even continued to promote the lies long after they were proven wrong.

Lots of the most recent Rv sales are by people living out of them to work in a HCOL area without paying the high cost of housing. We are traveling around staying in California Rv parks and see that 90% of people are working. When I retired in 2000 and started living in a motorhome it was 90% retired and 10% working.
The park we are in this month is $1,200 a month. If you add that with depreciation ($1,000) a month on a nice motorhome) along with fuel, insurance, and registration Rv living is very expensive.
Maybe that’s why there is a slowdown.

RV manufacturing is a low capital investment industry. All these companies do is order drivetrains, frames, interior furnishings, etc and just assemble the RV's to their specs. When times get slow, they cut back on ordering subassemblies for new units and hunker down to do maintenance and sell used units.

We're in the middle of a rush of retiring Baby Boomers that are looking for something to do with their weekends. Camping is a good, relaxing activity for them to do--and for their grandkids.

Sales may be down somewhat, but they should at least level off in the future.

Camping World, as a company, is on the rocks, but that is from self inflicted wounds, not the economy.

Camping World would have shot themselves in the foot (If they had guns) for alienating many faithful with some of their recent statements. I no longer patronize.

Thanks to the sharing economy one is no longer restricted to renting from a local dealer...so RV rentals are now much more reasonable.

And given the abysmal build quality of most RVs & how infrequently most buyers use theirs people are finding it's much more economical to rent than buy.

Pure nonsense. If anyone were smart enough to know with certainty that a recession was coming they wouldn’t be writing about it. They would be shorting stocks and buying gold from William Devane.

From camping in many of our local State parks over many years, and owning a 32' travel trailer ourselves for years, we saw a HUGE increase in brand new campers/RVs over the last year or two, and obviously some of these folks were new to the whole camping experiences...lots of indecision about how to setup camp, back the trailer into the spot properly, and dump the tanks that we saw.

We would walk through the campgrounds in the evening, and see many 2019 trucks pulling 2019 campers, and wonder to ourselves how much their payments were.

I think the RV sales slump may have more to do with everyone already getting the rig they wanted, and being a bit nervous about the stock market future.

I agree with this. Campgrounds are full on the weekend and many times also during the week in the summer. I think everybody that wants and can afford one of these rigs has one.

I apologize to you and the forum, for posting the article, which I thought was fairly innocent. I saw the headline last week and skimmed over it and thought it was giving another point of view on the state of the economy. I actually never read the last paragraph until today when Red Badger brought it to my attention. I won't be posting unless I'm more careful. :flowers:

Don't worry about it, and don't mistake snarkiness for legitimate outrage. Keep on truckin', I mean posting!

The Oregon coast is expensive also for RV parks. In the fall we like to go to Apple Hill in California and it’s 70/night.

We went RV'ing early one summer because we wanted to visit Death Valley, which was about to close down early April because of the heat.

When we got up to Oregon, got a waterfront spot in a park listed with Passport America. Cost: $10. The parks were deserted then.

Further up north, got a waterfront prime spot in Kalaloch campground in Olympic NP, without reservation. This CG is booked solid during the summer months.

That's the beauty of traveling off-season.

I’m reading this from a RV park in Canada. Enjoying the scenery and ER. Banff next. Parks still have quite a few people in them. As far as a recession who knows.‘Carpe Diem’

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom