safe to use this microwave?

retire-early

Full time employment: Posting here.
My GE over-the-range microwave oven is malfunctioning.

After I pressed the Clear/Off button, it turned off but then immediately the light insided turned back on and the display shows 5:00.
When I closed the door, the plate inside begins turning and the oven is operating.
I had inadvertently left a spoon on a plate inside the microwave and this caused a 3" long and 1/4" wide scrape along the back where the "paint" burned off exposing the metal underneath.

I am thinking I should stop using this microwave. :confused:

IDK....but if I'm asking the question I'm going to err on the "no" side

You killed it now give it a proper burial..

Yeah, they're not expensive, get a new one.

Some appliance stores will take it for recycling, and may even give you a discount on a new one. Worth the asking.

the over the range microwaves are more expensive since they have the fan incorporated into them. unfortunately i think you need a new one.

Well if the fan still works (Which seems probable) the OP can buy a cheap counter microwave.

If you're up to the challenge of actually reaching a live human being at GE you could try calling them and asking if it is safe to continue using it.

I'd try rebooting it (disconnecting it from 'power' and then repowering it) and then see what it does.

I had a 'hiccup' once with some microwave and rebooting 'fixed' it.

omni

I'd try rebooting it (disconnecting it from 'power' and then repowering it) and then see what it does.

I had a 'hiccup' once with some microwave and rebooting 'fixed' it.

Sometimes the technical jargon you engineers use just goes over my head. :LOL:

More to the point, if you want to try this but find that it's hardwired, just flip that circuit breaker off for 30 seconds and then back on.

+1 Generally microwaves are not exorbitantly expensive. Plus, you can probably find one with cool new features that this one doesn't have. Time to say goodbye to your poor, deceased microwave and move on.

When I had mine installed 5 years ago the installer noted most OTR microwave brands use the same mounting system so you're probably not stuck with GE...at the time Maytag had good reviews for reliability and was not expensive so that's what I chose.

Back
Top Bottom