Selling your own house ... advice?

............One day I asked him if I could just talk to the owner of this land. I wanted to get to hear him and talk about a deal we both could live with.................
I did something similar. I was having all kinds of problems with the buyer and my real estate agent kept telling me what a ogre he was. Finally we got together, the buyer and I, and everything worked smoothly from there on. It turned out my asshat real estate agent was the problem.

I did something similar. I was having all kinds of problems with the buyer and my real estate agent kept telling me what a ogre he was. Finally we got together, the buyer and I, and everything worked smoothly from there on. It turned out my asshat real estate agent was the problem.

Exactly >>> the problem for a buyer the agent is working for the seller and himself and you. I have seen were it isn't always the best for the buyer in most cases. I'm not here to belittle any agents on this forum but I have always done better working and negotiate my own dealers in buying and selling.

Last edited:
Exactly >>> the problem for a buyer the agent is working for the seller and himself and you. I have seen were it isn't always the best for the buyer in most cases. I'm not here to belittle any agents on this forum but I have always done better working and negotiate my own dealers in buying and selling.
I don't disagree.
However, the problems seem to crop up when one party is more savvy than the other, regarding real estate transactions. If you are not that party, you should hire help, be it an attorney (should be hired anyway, if FSBO, to at least review the purchase agreement), or a full or limited service Realtor. (I personally know of a FSBO transaction that was never recorded with the county. The buyer and seller wrote up a "home made" purchase agreement, shook hands, and traded a briefcase of cash for the keys. A couple of years later, when the buyer went to list his home to re-sell, he had to hire an attorney to clean up the mess).

Talking to the other party, showing the home, and coming to an agreement on price are the easy parts of the transaction and require little professional help. It is the other parts of the transaction that require more expertise.

As an example, many states now have seller disclosures that are required to be completed and filed by the closing company with the state. Heaven help you if you are unaware, don't complete one, and the buyers sue you later. Just one example of things that can go wrong. Not a scare tactic, just the reality of the current world.

Selling a house is a huge financial deal to most people. Be careful about going alone.

^ yes in my first post (post #3) on this subject I said I have my attorney write up the buy sell and terms and details. The money is always sent to the attorney's office and they make sure it is all legit.

Last edited:
I was thinking of the last property I bought (land) it was through an agent. There was many questions and the agent always would have to get back to me on this and that. LOL A great person and a professional agent in my eyes but still just there for the pay out if he made the sale.

One day I asked him if I could just talk to the owner of this land. I wanted to get to hear him and talk about a deal we both could live with.

Well it ended up the owner of the land was willing to call me and we struck up a deal before we hung up. I like to be face to face with a person when it comes to deals. It really does have power but I also know the owner may chase the buyer away also. If that happens there most likely was a very honest answer or something very critical came up to not make the sale happen That is a good thing for the buyer.
One of my investors, old school from Croatia, loves to negotiate his own deals. He calls me to "write" the offer and deal with the paperwork. If the properties listed I get the normal buy side commission. If it's not listed it's a flat $500 bucks.

Back
Top Bottom