Shortage du jour

Gravel? We need gray 2B limestone to re-gravel our driveway at the summer house. Our contractor said it is not available and he will have to call around trying to find some - it is (was) extremely common. If he finds some I'm now scared of the price.

It was not a problem in the fall, but we decided to wait until spring for one less fall/winter on the new gravel. Ugh.

My old Trek bike was stolen from my garage. WTH.
I decided to order a new one. Nine month projected wait.
I ended up getting a great used bike similar to my old one, but ten years newer. Unfortunately I had to drive 300 miles to get it.
I also noticed the used prices on bicycles have gone way up.
Take care.
JP
+1 This has been my experience. After mulling it over for over a year or two I finally decided a month ago to get a new recumbent trike to replace my 23/24 year old trike I had shipped from the UK. The new one will be much nicer made by one of the most respected manufacturers and with quite a few upgrades. So I put down a $1k deposit. I was told the projected delivery would not be until February due to lack of available components like derailleurs, brakes, etc. I have heard the same from other bike stores. Maybe I should have bought it 2 years ago. :( I hope I live long enough to ride it.

Cheers

Radio control hobby stuff. Not just the airplanes that are my main interest, but perusing other R/C sites I see lots of things that are "backordered" including newly introduced things like radio sets, cars, boats, anything to do with hobbies. In decades of being active in R/C hobbies, I've never seen anything like this. Of course they're affected by the chip shortage everyone else is, but balsa wood is in very short supply as well - it's used in the cores of wind turbine blades. Balsa has the highest strength-to-weight ratio of any wood. There are stronger woods and there are lighter woods, but no other has that good a ratio.

That has to be just as frustrating to the manufacturers/retailers as it is to their customers, if not more so. You can't sell what you don't have.

Fuddrucker’s once had peanut butter as a condiment for hamburgers. It was delicious.
I've had peanut butter burgers at multiple places. I love them!

Meetoo...
only had 2 month wait last year for the ebikes and 1up rack, Bronco - hoping for September I was a day 2 early reservation.

Very nice early res on the Bronco!

I reserved on the 7/22. Wanted to switch dealers. Called Ford and they told me to cancel and re-reserve. Did it on the 27th. And of course it turned out I didn't need to cancel. Oh well.

Good news for me is that DW's ebike is at the bike shop and we pick it up tomorrow. Ordered 4/5, so it took a little over 1.5 months. My up rack should be shipped in late June.

Ordered a sofa on January 8- told due to shortages it would not come til April 22-- called in Early April to say- no now not til Early June-- called this week to say probably not til August! WTF? At what point is this failure to hold up their end of the deal? A year? 10 years?

Also I can confirm that my son who works in a business with a lot of pallets that they are indeed in short supply that is affecting them.
OMG. Almost exactly the same story here. Order placed 1/11 along with a hefty deposit, I might add. Projected delivery initially early May. Manufacturer is in No Carolina. A check in April yielded a slide to mid to late June projection. I checked again last week and the predicted date is mid to late June or early July. The reasons given: surge in orders during the pandemic and then lack of certain materials(foam) due to February storms in Texas. I'll bet they'd love to charge more for the sofa, but our confirmation is solid on price.

Last year I started a thread about not being able to get my beloved brand of diet Root Beer. It ended back on the shelves for a few months..........but once again they are now nowhere to be found :(

Woodland Mills Portable sawmills are on back order with an expected ship date of 30 Sep. With the increase in lumber prices people that live in wooded areas are starting to mill their own lumber.

Woodland Mills Portable sawmills are on back order with an expected ship date of 30 Sep. With the increase in lumber prices people that live in wooded areas are starting to mill their own lumber.
All a guy needs then is a dry kiln, edger, and a planer, ..... and a way to move logs to mill. That last step shouldn't be looked over. I remember Old Walter, an old logger I bought logs from for several years, he'd logged his entire life. He knew skidding with a farm tractor was dangerous. It still killed him.

Perlite soil amendment. Sold out everywhere, finally found it at Lowe's after a long hunt throughout the garden center....a number of bags, but still packed away in the shipping box they were sent to the store in.

Peat moss was scarce, and now is unobtainable. Lowes and HD don't know when they'll get more. It is very hard to garden effectively in alkaline sand soil without adding a lot of peat moss.

Perlite soil amendment. Sold out everywhere, finally found it at Lowe's after a long hunt throughout the garden center....a number of bags, but still packed away in the shipping box they were sent to the store in.

I have been shopping for blue jeans (carpenter style) this week. Not only are local stores out of jeans in my size, but some of the manufacturer web sites and Amazon report shortages.

On the other hand.....

Remember last year when paper towels and toilet paper were tough to find and if you found them the amount you could purchase was restricted? Well, today is our day for grocery store ads to come in the mail and on the front page of one is BOUNTY AND CHARMIN!!!!! Haven't seen that since before the pandemic.

That's all the proof I need that things are starting to come back to normal.

Sorry that so many others are experiencing shortages.

So I'm not admitting that I actually imbibe these products, I just happen to have noticed spaces on the shelves or seen greatly increased prices...;)

"Lite" Spam...absolutely out for several weeks though I did finally see a can finally week. Amazingly, turkey Spam was available in abundance. :confused:

2 liter bottles of Diet Mountain Dew and some other soft drinks (maybe Pepsi more than other brands) - but though they are available, the price is double the typical price.

But what's oddest is that it's only NOW that this is happening. Really the only things I saw in short supply during the early pandemic days were paper products and any kind of hand sanitizer or wipes. No shortages of food or drink.

But what's oddest is that it's only NOW that this is happening. Really the only things I saw in short supply during the early pandemic days were paper products and any kind of hand sanitizer or wipes. No shortages of food or drink.

Could it be that the initial shortage of products such as hand sanitizer and toilet paper was simply due to hoarding, and not lack of production?

Now, the pandemic effect has had the time to trickle down into the myriad supply chains, not just domestic but also overseas, and to cause shortage of seemingly random products.

Had a guy over to quote the install of a storm door that I need replaced. After he quotes me a price, he tells me that I will need to be patient because it’s likely that the door won’t arrive for three months. I gave him a deposit but he said he won’t cash the check until the door comes in. I’ll check a couple other places to see if I can get one sooner (like next week) but I’m not optimistic.

We had a un-attached garage built about 3 years ago. We are thinking about having an epoxy-type coating applied over the top of the cement flooring to make cleaning easier and give it a nicer "finished" look. Had a company out today to take the measurements and give us an estimate. The epoxy (not sure if that is the correct term) has resin flakes in it to give it some color. The company rep had a full stack of sample colors to choose from. Kinda like picking a tile color or carpet color. He warned us that some colors were hard to get right now, and some weren't even possible to get. The flakes are made up of a resin material that he said is in really short supply right now. He is being limited by his parent company as to how much material he can order per week, whereas before he could order whatever colors and quantities he needed to follow through on his job quotes. We narrowed down our color choices and they happened to be colors that he either already has in his inventory or is allowed to order. Just one more shortage in today's world.

I was emailing with the local storm/shower door place. Even though we (being in Florida) are bombarded with ads for hurricane-rated impact glass doors and windows, when it comes to actual estimates, we're being told long, long waits and rapidly rising prices. So, buy now before prices go even higher, and then...wait.

Had a guy over to quote the install of a storm door that I need replaced. After he quotes me a price, he tells me that I will need to be patient because it’s likely that the door won’t arrive for three months. I gave him a deposit but he said he won’t cash the check until the door comes in. I’ll check a couple other places to see if I can get one sooner (like next week) but I’m not optimistic.

Crickets. Our local bait shop just posted on Facebook that they were having trouble getting them from their suppliers and they will be limiting the number they sell to each customer.

Psyllium Fiber Capsules - Huh? Yep, running low on these miracle gut-cleansers so during our usual swing past Costco, I put two double-jar packs in the cart. That way, I'd have enough for DW and me for several weeks without thinking about restocking. At the check-out, they said "sorry" we're limiting purchase to one double pack. HUH? They had a BUNCH of the double packs on the rack, so what gives? YMMV

Went to the local Dollar General this AM to pick up a couple odds and ends and the shelves were pretty bare, something I am not used to seeing. Even during peak COVID hoarding times, they would have inventory when the big box places didn't.

If it was post weekend, I could *almost* understand but the clerk mentioned that it had been like that for about a week and shipments have been scaled back quite a bit and the trucks that come in have about 1/2 of what they normally have on them. So, I am thinking the shortages of "insert product here" are accelerating.

Crickets. Our local bait shop just posted on Facebook that they were having trouble getting them from their suppliers and they will be limiting the number they sell to each customer.

I'm getting too used to today's slang, I guess. I saw "crickets" and my first thought was that it meant "quiet" as in "no one responding to a question or comment."

I guess I need to adjust to the "new normal" of shortage NOW caused by coming OUT OF the pandemic. Now returning you to our Shortage du jour thread. Oh, and I hate "new normal" as it's being added to our lexicon. YMMV

I reposted my powder chlorine bags for sale (first time I had a picture of 1) , this time I showed a picture of 2 boxes for $70.

I guess earlier folks didn't read, just saw $70 for 1 bag :eek:

I had 3 people contact me within an hour. Turns out Chlorine powder is $6 / bag on Amazon.

I was happy to sell it. :D

Back
Top Bottom