Shortage du jour

That might work, if you are fishing for 40 pound catfish. Not so much for blue gill and crappie. :D

How about 100 or even 200 lb river sturgeon? Massive and surprising! YMMV

There is a real shortage of FDIC insured 3-5 year CD's paying 4-6%. These lumber and chip shortages are nothing much in comparison.

Here's an odd one: Oxy-Clean.

No clue why the shelves at WalMart were totally cleaned out of all Oxy-Clean and all related or similar brands. The local supermarket had them, so I wonder if it's just a WalMart supply chain thing.

Now they're talking about beef shortages. This is getting really tedious. But one sort-of good thing: It's really reminding me how inter-dependent we all are. We like to think of ourselves as rugged individuals, DIY-ers, or otherwise self-sufficient. But from toilet paper hoarding to grounded container ships and ransomware hacks, it's starting to hit home just how close to the edge we all are every day. Maybe the preppers aren't all that crazy...

No clue why the shelves at WalMart were totally cleaned out of all Oxy-Clean and all related or similar brands. The local supermarket had them, so I wonder if it's just a WalMart supply chain thing.

Now they're talking about beef shortages. This is getting really tedious. But one sort-of good thing: It's really reminding me how inter-dependent we all are. We like to think of ourselves as rugged individuals, DIY-ers, or otherwise self-sufficient. But from toilet paper hoarding to grounded container ships and ransomware hacks, it's starting to hit home just how close to the edge we all are every day. Maybe the preppers aren't all that crazy...

A bit off topic, but I think of the interdependence often, living as I do on the most remote occupied Island chain on Earth. We often speak of having 7 days of food in the Islands. (Heh, heh, I keep a BIT more than that, myself.)

It also reminds me of the way the Island Nation of Cuba has managed to keep 1950s cars running for all these years. They know how to scrounge and even make parts that simply are unavailable otherwise. I guess if you face a shortage - you adapt or die. Most of us are capable of surviving MUCH more than we think. I'll see your Oxy-Clean and raise you a 1954 DeSoto carburetor float valve. :cool:YMMV

How about 100 or even 200 lb river sturgeon? Massive and surprising! YMMV

Ya might need a half dozen cicadas for that one:facepalm:

I have not fished in my life, but if you want to catch a 200-lb fish, don't you need to use a whole chicken as a bait? :) Well, maybe a chicken thigh.

SE Michigan WalMart

I'm a snowbird and just recently returned to MI from FL.

I went to WalMart today in a busy suburb of Detroit. I kept seeing random empty shelves to the point that it was startling to me. A few examples: in the cleaning supplies aisle, the section with brooms, buckets, sponges, mops was only about 20% stocked, there were very few jars of sliced jalapenos, they were out of chip dip, and the electronics section looked about half-stocked with many gaps in the back wall of TVs, etc. It was so noticeable that I kept wondering if the store was possibly closing? So I asked one of the clerks in electronics. He said they are having a hard time getting shipments from China..he said they were completely out of printers for months (I'm guessing the Covid WFH might have been the cause of increased sales) and were just starting to get a few printers and certain TVs back in stock. He had no idea why any food stocks were low.

In comparison, in SW Florida WalMarts, I didn't notice any empty shelves once the toilet paper and paper towel shortages abated months ago.

omni

I'm a snowbird and just recently returned to MI from FL.

I went to WalMart today in a busy suburb of Detroit. I kept seeing random empty shelves to the point that it was startling to me....

In comparison, in SW Florida WalMarts, I didn't notice any empty shelves once the toilet paper and paper towel shortages abated months ago.

omni

There's a report of shortage of truck drivers. Perhaps that can cause local shortages.

I'll see your Oxy-Clean and raise you a 1954 DeSoto carburetor float valve. :cool:YMMV

You win.

Reminds me of the time I was looking at an ancient pickup truck in the back lot of a local car dealer. Old flat-head 6 engine, wouldn't run. This was in the days before the internet; you used whatever parts you could get locally. I ended up machining a distributor rotor button out of the nearest fit I could find in the junk yard. Got that thing running great, and would have bought it except now that it was running, the dealer jacked up the price. On my way out of the lot I tossed the home-made rotor button into the woods. Good luck selling it at that price now!

I went to Walmart to buy a couple pair of sunglasses, the rotating racks were sparsely filled. Luckily, I found what I wanted in the selection in the fishing department.

I had two pair of sunglasses for over two years, suddenly I can't find either one.

Back
Top Bottom