Should I hang Mirror in front entryway facing door?

Amethyst

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I was thinking of hanging a large (almost full-length) oblong mirror with a hand-painted frame in our foyer, on the wall facing the front door.

Just wondered how people feel about walking in someone's front door and immediately facing themselves in the mirror. Positive? Negative? or "Huh, there was a mirror? I didn't notice."

Thanks,

Amethyst

Personally I wouldn't do it in my home. I think the last thing I would want to see when I enter someone's home is myself. It wouldn't feel welcoming.

Seems a bit odd to me, but presumably you'll be standing between them and the mirror so they probably won't see much of themselves. If you have someone coming to your house to care for pets or otherwise watch your house it may startle them. On the other hand it could scare off an intruder!

I'll bet the feng shui experts would say this is bad.

We have mirrors in the dining room to double check how we look before heading out. Guests get an improved view of the mountains and the sea if they get a seat facing the mirror.

I wouldn't do that. We have a mirror in our entry hall but it doesn't face the front door.

Common sense and intuition tells me this is all wrong. I would not like that! Feng shui experts (I don't really follow but there is common sense in a lot of it) I think agree. They would probably say all the positive energy would shoot right back out the door or something. I say, does it feel right being there? I don't think you see many people hanging mirrors on the wall opposite the door. The fact that you asked here means you doubt it too! [emoji4]

Oh I meant to add. We used to have a mirror in the entry way. But it was on the wall behind the door. Very good there.

Read a book on Feng Shui. There are situations where the mirror is needed, and there are the ones that don't.

Thanks for all the feng shui, but I don't pay much attention to that. I was really looking for how it makes you, personally, feel when you confront a mirror in the entrance. I doubt many guests are feng shui analysts. But people know how they feel about things.

I don't think I'd like it. Can't put my finger on what, but I think it'd make me uncomfortable.

Large mirrors belong in bathrooms and not the public areas of one's house. They're okay in dining rooms sometimes, but no where else.

Do you want it there for a "last quick check" before leaving?

I'd never put one there.

Basically I want it there because it is pretty, fits the area well, and I need something on that bare facing wall. But based on this feedback, the mirror will definitely go somewhere else. Thanks!

P.S. FB friends mostly said ix-nay on the irror-may, too.

Paint it or turn it into a chalkboard (depending on your style).. turn the mirror glass into something else..Pintrest is your friend ( or so my DW says)

Last edited:
Tell people it's not a mirror, just a painting of Dorian Gray.

I was hanging art work, mirrors, etc at a friends house and I suggested that the mirror be hung on the wall in the foyer facing the front door. DW and her friend both said "no way". I never questioned why, but I got the impression that they didn't think seeing oneself on their way into the house was a good thing.

Basically I want it there because it is pretty, fits the area well, and I need something on that bare facing wall.
A painting/print, or a sculpture OR (silk) flowers on a small, tall table/pedestal would make more of an impression on me than a mirror. A mirror sounds like 'grandma's house.' But maybe that's just me. After 63 years I have a pretty good idea what I look like already, nothing special.

Last edited:
Why? It's a mirror, it has a function. I already painted the frame with my own designs.

(I avoid Pinterest).

Paint it or turn it into a chalkboard (depending on your style).. turn the mirror glass into something else..Pintrest is your friend ( or so my DW says)

"A mirror sounds like 'grandma's house.'"

OMG I am such a grandma's house person! We even have a living room that is a step lower than the rest of the house. Remember, I am the person who will spend $3200 to renew a pair of 70's chairs.

I agree that a painting, or one of my original pieces of needlework art, would be preferable. We used to hang framed pictures there. Unfortunately, the front of the house faces south. The sun soon destroys everything paper, paint, or fabric that it touches.

A painting/print, or a sculpture OR (silk) flowers on a small, tall table/pedestal would make more of an impression on me than a mirror. A mirror sounds like 'grandma's house.' But maybe that's just me. After 63 years I have a pretty good idea what I look like already, nothing special.

Yes, that is the basis of my original doubt. For some reason, many people dislike looking at themselves in a mirror, almost like the way people don't like hearing their recorded voice. I am guessing the reflections must be different from people's mental picture of how they look and sound. Even people who don't hate it, can be startled.

So many folks have confirmed this view, that I have decided to hang the mirror somewhere else.

. I never questioned why, but I got the impression that they didn't think seeing oneself on their way into the house was a good thing.

Yes, that is the basis of my original doubt. For some reason, many people dislike looking at themselves in a mirror, almost like the way people don't like hearing their recorded voice. I am guessing the reflections must be different from people's mental picture of how they look and sound. Even people who don't hate it, can be startled.

So many folks have confirmed this view, that I have decided to hang the mirror somewhere else.

Good decision. If I walked into your house for the first time and immediately saw myself in a full length mirror, I would (a) be reminded of all my physical shortcomings, (b) think that appearances were very important to you and (c) lose my confidence. I presume that's not how you would want to welcome a visitor. Now if the mirror were somewhere else in the entryway, like behind the front door, I would be happy to check my appearance in it on my way out, after I had gotten to know you better.

Back
Top Bottom