Skylight Leak Repair

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Today I'm going to fix a small skylight leak. Any tips?

depends on where the leak is. Is it in the skylight itself or around the edge where it attaches to the roof?

Today I'm going to fix a small skylight leak. Any tips?
How old is the skylight?

We recently replaced some 30-year-old skylights, and I was amazed at how much the materials & construction have improved. It may be better to forego the "fix" and move straight to the "replace"?

I am certain that the leak is at the edge of the glass. My plan is to cut away the old caulking and apply Lexel.

The skylights were put in when the house was built in 1996.

In the past I have pulled back the shingles around the skylight and replaced/repaired the flashing. Then seal with a long lasting roofing cement in any areas that look like they are leaking or may be prone to leaking. That has always done the trick for me.

Will agree with Nords that the advances in skylights over the last 10-15 years have been huge...but they ain't cheap!

I too have skylights that leak, it is around the glass seal. In fact the frame is partially rotted, it would take a few pounds of epoxy and caulk to repair. They are 20 year old Andersons.

Called the guy who did our triple glazed low E windows. He does do skylight replacement.

Just waiting for a quote, then my repair is to have him replace all three. Some stuff is not worth messing with, this is one of those.
coolsmiley.gif

I don't know how you plan to get up to the skylight, but wrestling with an extension ladder by yourself might be stressful to your problem back. Two people carrying a ladder is a lot easier, so maybe get your DW to assist as a precaution. Good luck with the fix.

Yes, I had some moments of "I'm too old for this," but I took it easy and was careful maneuvering the articulated ladder. Scraping the old stuff off had to be done with the back in mind also, but after a while of working with poor quality razor holders

images

I gave up, put on a temporary bead of caulk, and ordered one of these from Amazon:

41h22LalNUL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The job should be easy with a good quality scraper.

Then I cleaned the gutters (with Lena holding a safety rope), and cleaned the chimney.

It's amazing that blackberry seeds can get up to the two-story-high gutters. I'm guessing they used a bird for transport.

These do it yourself or hire someone decisions aren't simple.

Back
Top Bottom