DIYer hoping to fix little old countertop dishwasher

qkcam

Confused about dryer sheets
Hello everybody!!

It's an older countertop Danby dishwasher Model DDW611WLED

a new sump gasket is no longer available :(

it drives me crazy when things can be easily repaired if parts were available.

found a small leak and learned how to take it all apart and check everything out. I finally found the original source of the leak and sealed it up. However when I put the tub back onto the sump NOW I am getting a leak from the sump gasket. it doesn't appear to be a very tight seal.

I notice also as I tighten down the ring that holds the tub to the sump..it feels and sounds a bit "gritty" i wonder if it is this "gritty that is affecting the seal ?

I will clean it up better and see how that goes.

I am thinking of using some RTV4500 food grade silicon to put around the sump gasket since a replacement is not available. I will soon start scouting for another little dishwasher.

perhaps I dont have it seated exactly 100% on the sump like it was before?

this has been a great little machine and I hate to let it go if I dont have too.

any suggestions?
thanks!

Only thing I can think of is the silicone the begeezers out of it and cross your fingers.

Might you be able to find a similar gasket, perhaps a little bigger, and trim it to fit?

Thank you.. I can relate to crossing my fingers!! that works wonders

I wonder is there anyway to make your own "gaskets" ?

Try "Aviation form-a gasket"

To me the issue is the gap. Look at the thickness of the old seal, and consider it is squashed. If it is too thick for sealants alone, cut gasket material to fit, and add sealer (removable) to top and bottom. Do not overtighten. Have clean surfaces to fit it all against. Let dry. If very thin gasket, likely can skip gasket but dont overtighten and allow time to seal before stressing it. Somtimes I add a thinner narrow o-ring (missing any mounting holes) into sealant with the purpose of not overtightening.

Either step should take care of that issue.

But new dishwashers are so good and quiet. Good luck

Hello everybody!!

It's an older countertop Danby dishwasher Model DDW611WLED

a new sump gasket is no longer available :(

it drives me crazy when things can be easily repaired if parts were available.

found a small leak and learned how to take it all apart and check everything out. I finally found the original source of the leak and sealed it up. However when I put the tub back onto the sump NOW I am getting a leak from the sump gasket. it doesn't appear to be a very tight seal.

I notice also as I tighten down the ring that holds the tub to the sump..it feels and sounds a bit "gritty" i wonder if it is this "gritty that is affecting the seal ?

I will clean it up better and see how that goes.

I am thinking of using some RTV4500 food grade silicon to put around the sump gasket since a replacement is not available. I will soon start scouting for another little dishwasher.

perhaps I dont have it seated exactly 100% on the sump like it was before?

this has been a great little machine and I hate to let it go if I dont have too.

any suggestions?
thanks!

NLA. No longer available. I am finding that lately too. Started this year. Makes it harder to fix something, having to find alternative part. How is the project going ?

Back
Top Bottom