Slim Wallet vs. Tri-Fold Wallet

A number of years ago I went to a "2 wallet system".

I have a very slim wallet to carry my driver's license, 2 credit cards, and some cash. Most days, that's all I need.

I have a second wallet I keep in the car. It has medical cards, Costco card, etc. Things I use less often.

I lost my main wallet a couple of years ago, it was nice to only have a few things to replace.

The downside of course is you do have to remember to get something out of the second wallet from time to time. Maybe you need to get your Lowes credit card before going into Lowes.
But for many of the items in the second wallet, I have an app with the same info. You can use the Costco app rather than the card, except for gas. I have an app for my medical cards, my driver's insurance card, etc.

I love carrying around less stuff everyday.

I hate sitting on a bulging wallet so I've been a front pocket guy ever since I started carrying a wallet as a teenager. I've used tri-folds forever, but like the OP, mine is getting kinda ragged. I'm open to bi-folds or whatever so I'm perusing this thread with interest.

I haven't used a traditional wallet in nearly 20 years.

Years ago, when I lived overseas and was traveling a lot, I started using a traveler's neck wallet on a lanyard, which holds passport, credit cards and cash, and can be hidden under a shirt or blouse. Safer and more convenient than a traditional wallet, it can even replace a woman's purse, although I keep a crossbody bag for when I need to carry more stuff.

Today's neck wallets are slightly roomier, to hold a phone.

I have a very slim wallet to carry my driver's license, 2 credit cards, and some cash. Most days, that's all I need.

I have a second wallet I keep in the car. It has medical cards, Costco card, etc. Things I use less often.

Yes! I hit upon this idea yesterday while I was transferring cards from my tri-fold to my card holder wallet. Why not keep only the essential cards in my cardholder wallet and put the "use only once in a while" cards in my old wallet? Then keep the old wallet in my truck.

Thanks for posting.

I have a big skinny and like it a lot more than my previous tri-fold.

I wish I could get rid of enough wallet clutter to use the small carbon fiber wallet I was given a few years ago. But, too many business don’t accept the Apple wallet and Apple Pay on my phone.

+1

I'm on my second Big Skinny (nylon?) tri-fold.

Attachments

• 2023-02-01_16h46_08.png
    2023-02-01_16h46_08.png
    214.2 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Well, this thread finally inspired me to go skinny. I've been thinking about it for a while. I have a conventional Fossil leather wallet. But I only carry 3 CCs, DL, and medical ID... maybe some cash. I have other cards that I keep on my dresser and only take when I need them. So the current wallet is not too fat. But it's fatter than it needs to be for what I carry nowadays.

So I went with the Allett hybrid card wallet. A little pricey at $44 for nylon. But looks like the perfect minimalist design for what I need. I especially like the outside slot for my most-used CC. Big Skinny is definitely cheaper, but I could not find an equivalent design. Plus, I like the look of the Allett better.

I have been carrying a small wallet in a small purse for over 50 years. I never liked big purses and I didn't carry much beside the wallet. Just things like a comb, a small tape measure and a little notepad. The wallet held my drivers license, medical cards, library card, credit card or two, car insurance card, $50 in cash and some coins.

Then I got my first iPhone and learned about Apple Wallet and Apple Pay. Since I started using Apple Pay I realized I never used anything in that wallet that I continued to carry in my purse. And now that so many stores have self checkout my purse was just getting in the way, banging into the cart or getting caught on something as I moved things out of the cart, scanned and bagged.

I started shopping for a minimal wallet and I found the Walletopia site https://www.walletopia.info Oh, too much fun watching all the videos!

I decided on two wallets from Distilunion www.distilunion.com I got the Wally Bifold 5.0 https://distilunion.com/collections/bestsellers/products/wally-bifold and the Wally Micro Classic https://distilunion.com/collections/wallets/products/original-wally-micro . I got both because it was a drastic step to go from a wallet in a purse down to the Micro. I downsized the stuff in my old wallet and started carrying the Bifold in my front pants pocket. I still kept most of my cards and the $50 cash. This worked great. It's very thin and comfortable. Then I looked at what was essential for most of my outings and downsized to the Micro - drivers license, auto insurance card, Medicare card, one credit card (for places that don't take Apple Pay) and a folded $20 bill.

This has been quite liberating! Leaving the house without a purse was odd at first and now it's all so easy. My phone goes in my jacket pocket and my wallet in my front pants pocket. I also bought a small wristlet/clutch https://www.villageleathers.com/col...ucts/roam-wristlet-tan?variant=12216444551237 for times when I don't have a jacket and I'll put my phone and little wallet in that.

Last edited:
Tried a tri-fold once and went back to bi-fold right away. Front pocket with my comb folded into it - teeth up. Helps keep it where it belongs even in crowds.:cool:

I went thin years ago. Most recent wallet purchase was this for $10.

Kinzd Slim Minimalist Leather RFID Front Pocket Wallet Thin Credit Card Holder Men https://a.co/d/jcswR4l

Holds DL, a few cards and some cash.

I went thin years ago. Most recent wallet purchase was this for $10.

Kinzd Slim Minimalist Leather RFID Front Pocket Wallet Thin Credit Card Holder Men https://a.co/d/jcswR4l

Holds DL, a few cards and some cash.

I like that one. I just bought it. One of the things I like is the window slot for the DL. I have a small card for my grocery reward points. I put that in the window slot with my DL and that allows me to scan the card without having to take anything out of my wallet. I also like that this one is non-folding. Hopefully, it’s as thin as it looks.

Old bi-fold was getting pretty worn out 3 years ago. DW offered to get me a new wallet for Christmas that year. I strongly suggested she get one as close to what I had as possible. Of course, what I got was a tri-fold. So, 3 years later, I'm still using the old one which is ripping out at the seams. Oh, well, there may be more Christmases in my future (though tomorrow is promised to no one) so I'm still waiting. Hey, maybe birthday! I'll have to make sure she sees my wallet in all its faded glory just before my BD month.

Just an aside: you have to watch out for those small wallets with a magnetic clip if you travel. It can cause some hotel keys to no longer work. Pretty aggravating.

Also, I like the two wallet approach but I keep the second at home. Would not want it stolen out of car.

Full disclosure: 2nd wallet is actually just a rubber band. I take any card I need such as store credit or gift cards out of stock and into slim wallet.

I switched to a front wallet at least a decade ago and liked it so much I purchased at least 10 at that time. I had to go back on Amazon and Ebay to find examples like https://www.amazon.com/Zitahli-Wallet-Mens-Wallets-Blocking-Minimalist/dp/B084KJDYKR, but mine are made out of various colors of leather. They were about $10 when I purchased them; I like the slim bifold wallet with 2 angled pockets and thumb holes on the front for my CC and Retired Mil ID, a window on the inside for my drivers license, and on the opposite side a pocket with pull strap for about 8 more cards, there are also other slots and a spring clip for money on the inside. I have about 20 cards stuffed inside and its still smaller than the trifold I carried for nearly 35 years in my back pocket. I change them out every couple of years.

I use a trifold. My son in law switched to a phone case that holds any cards he needs. He uses his phone constantly for business and now only needs to be concerned about having his phone. Especially since he uses the newfangled swipe your phone to pay, magic. :)

I got rid of a wallet years ago and went with a money clip that had a leather license and cc holder. No back or butt pain driving

For the money clip advocates...how do you find exact change/denominations when making a purchase without extracting ALL of your cash and fanning it out in public? Never figured that one out.

Attachments

• fanning-cash.jpg
    fanning-cash.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 22
My son bought me a ridge wallet, which holds everything my other wallet did. I carry it in my front pocket. Its pretty decent. I carry two different sets of keys and a knife with a money clip too, so my pockets are pretty full.....

+1. I guess a slimmer one would be nice, but the Coach wallet I’ve had for years is slim enough. I carry more than 12 cards even though only 3 are credit cards - mostly medical, and a half dozen membership/discount cards.

To reduce carrying many of the cards you can put them in your Google Wallet (digital) and create a lot of space in your current wallet.

Apple has their own version of this too.

This caused me to do a search on "best wallets" and some were coming back priced at over $500!

I would buy a roll of duct tape 1st. And fill it with $495 in cash :facepalm:

Never thought about it that way but I'm in that same group. Each vehicle has a small folded case with the Registration, Insurance, gas cards and such. Even copy's of our DL and Concealed Carry Permits. Have another at home that we keep all the CC in, Only take one out if we think we may need it.

Back
Top Bottom