Sometimes you need cash.

Jerry1

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
Many times I’ve seen people claim that there’s no need for cash. Everything can go on a card or you can use your phone . . .

Well, there are times it’s good to have cash. Yesterday I went to the store to get some food for the grandkids. Our area had storms run through and there’s a lot of power out around us. As I walked up to the store, they had a Cash Only sign. They were able to run on a generator but they couldn’t connect to process cards. Thankfully, I had cash on hand, always do. Even better was that I had various bills. As I got up to the cash register, the cashier was lamenting that she need bills to make change. Said she’d never seen so many C notes. Apparently most people still stick a Hundo in their wallets for emergencies. I had smaller bills and gave her a 10 and a few Fives to work with. Sure, I probably could have found another store open to take a card, but that’s my local store/meat market and I like going there. And, it was easier to pull out some cash than to drive around looking for another store.

Something worth keeping in mind - especially if you think you’re going to go out and get gasoline to keep a generator running. Thankfully mine is hooked up to natural gas.

The kids liked the sloppy joes.

Attachments

• IMG_3152.jpeg
    IMG_3152.jpeg
    113 KB · Views: 116
That's why i always have emergency cash ($2000) in the safe in a variety of bills.

Many times I’ve seen people claim that there’s no need for cash. Everything can go on a card or you can use your phone . . .

Well, there are times it’s good to have cash.

I just ran into this yesterday. I had dropped off some trousers at a local tailor for alteration and went to pick them up. When I got there I saw a sign "Cash or Check Only" that I hadn't noticed before. Understandable in a very small business.

Since I always carry some cash in my wallet there was no problem.

Our Wednesday night walking group finished up at the local watering hole and when we checked out, they informed us that the internet was down and asked for cash (could not ptrocess CCs). Good thing we could scrape up $75.00.

We live in Amish country and most of their baked goods, produce stands, and plant businesses take cash only. We always carry cash. There is also a Greek breakfast place we love that takes cash only.

We don't keep any cash in the house but I always have 2-3 c-notes tucked in my wallet, and usually another hundred in smaller bills.

I have thought about keeping a few thousand on hand, but have never really had a reason to access that amount of cash without going to the bank.

I always carry cash. Living and traveling in Asia did it for me.

I still carry cash and complete probably 80% of my in person shopping for anything under $100 with cash.

I too always carry about $100-150 in cash. Don't use it very often anymore (maybe one trip to the cash machine per year), but it does come in handy when the situation arises. Examples might be the occasional taco at the local food truck, or just recently, the County registrar of deeds who required cash for some photocopies I made.

I have emergency cash at home in case of a hurricane knocking stuff out.

Yes, I like to keep some 20s on hand.

Maybe I'm too paranoid, but if the establishment is rather small, say a taqueria operating out of a truck or gas station (welcome to Texas!), I will pay with cash rather than risk using a credit card.

Edit: I see that someone already mentioned the food truck idea. :blush:

Well, there are times it’s good to have cash...

YES.

After disembarking a cruise ship at the Copenhagen cruise terminal which is a few miles from town, we needed to take a bus ride to a metro station, then take the metro to the airport. I figured public transportation was cheaper and faster than paying for the airport transfer arranged by the cruise line. We had only carry-ons, and needed no help with luggage and were among the first to get off the boat.

After walking 1/2 mile from the cruise terminal to the nearest bus stop, we were told by the bus driver that she had no credit card terminal onboard, and accepted kronas or euros only. Uh Oh!

It turned out that my wife still had some euros, and we scrounged up 8 euros for 2 to ride a couple of miles to the metro station, where we could buy rides from vending machines.

If it were not for these loose euros, I would have to walk back to the cruise terminal to take a taxi.

On the embarkation day, we arrived via the metro/bus transportation, so I knew how to travel the reverse route. However, the multi-day transportation passes we had were still valid on the cruise departure day, and I did not know I would need cash to pay for the return trip, nor that there was no ticket vending machine in the cruise terminal.

Now, in Stockholm you can hop on a bus and pay for the ride using credit cards, Google Pay, Apple Pay, or Samsung Pay. But Copenhagen does not yet have the same capability.

And in Oslo, you cannot buy tickets onboard the bus at all. In fact, there was a sign on the bus saying you'd better have a valid ticket on hand before setting foot onboard. Being caught without a ticket will cost you a fine of a few hundred bucks.

PS. These Scandinavian countries are cashless otherwise. Even a pay public toilet takes credit cards. No need for tourists get some kronas (each of the countries still uses its own kronas).

Last edited:
I am a travel greenhorn.

This past March DW and I traveled overseas for the first time. I carry several hundred in small bills when I travel. I was astonished that I couldn't buy a beer in the Newark Airport with cash. I couldn't even order one without a smartphone to download the menu and order online. I looked the guy in the eye and said "$20 bill for you for a couple drafts of Coors Light". He turned and walked away.

Then at the next overseas airport (Johannesburg South Africa) We were waiting for our return flight when a local in a uniform approached us and told us that we had to follow him to the United gait, he worked for United and it was his job to make sure we got to our terminal with our luggage. We followed him and got our luggage to the gait. He looked at me and in poor English said "TIP" with his hand held out. I reached for a $10 and he said "Twenty". I looked at the guy with my luggage and he was looking our helper. I gave him a Twenty and our luggage went to the right place.

So yes, cash is necessary. American money was preferred.

These Scandinavian countries are cashless otherwise. Even a pay public toilet takes credit cards. No need for tourists get some kronas (each of the countries still uses its own kronas).

Well, mostly.

In both Oslo and Bergen in June there were plenty of people paying for things with cash. Supermarkets, farmers markets, drugstores, restaurants, bars, all over the place. I noticed because I had brought my leftover krone to use them up, but everywhere I went merchants were happy to take either cash or cashless payments.

I can certainly see that cash is beginning to get used less, especially in Sweden, but they're not there yet.

I paid cash for a car repair, and then no sales tax happened. Funny how that happens.

I spend very little cash at all, but I always carry plenty. I always have plenty because it hardly ever gets used ha ha. I usually end up with more cash when the the Costco Executive rebate is used.

I carry my checkbook too and that’s maybe only used once a year now that I found out our pest control guy accepts Zelle.

I use cash all the time. I carry a few Benjamins at all times and use them. They always run the marker across them when I turn one in for trade. Lol

In the beginning of my brewing days, I needed to stock up on supplies. Went to a brewing supply store and tried to buy several hundred dollars worth of supplies/ equipment on a credit card. But there was a power outage and they couldn’t accept credit cards. Owner said he’d give me a 20% discount if I paid cash. So I did.

I generally use credit cards for the miles/points. But I always carry enough cash in case the need for cash arises.

We should keep cash alive as long as possible to hold off the all knowing and trackable CBDC.

Then at the next overseas airport (Johannesburg South Africa) We were waiting for our return flight when a local in a uniform approached us and told us that we had to follow him to the United gait, he worked for United and it was his job to make sure we got to our terminal with our luggage. We followed him and got our luggage to the gait. He looked at me and in poor English said "TIP" with his hand held out. I reached for a $10 and he said "Twenty". I looked at the guy with my luggage and he was looking our helper. I gave him a Twenty and our luggage went to the right place.
Thanks for the heads-up. A SA safari is on our list, as we've done Tanzania/Kenya, and I might have fallen for that one, too. https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/south-africa/2017-01-25-beware-of-scammers-at-or-tambo/

Last edited:
Always have some cash in my wallet and more at home. Now we are in hurricane season it is important to have a stash of small bills on hand. I use a CC for paying bills, at Costco and Amazon, and the gas pump. Cash is used for most everything else. If a business, restaurant, etc. doesn't accept cash then they lose my business and I go somewhere else.

Cheers!

I have a funny cash story from last week. My wallet was getting a little thin and was going to need a re-stock.
Our friends wanted another load of asphalt grindings. I was up in the seat of the excavator and she handed me a folded hundred bill, and I tucked it in my seated pants pocket.
Sure as heck it slipped out between the excavator and dump truck. :facepalm:
I get to the yard where i pick up the grindings, and no hundie. I look everywhere.
I dig into my wallet and had $99 and the good old fella took that.
We looked for a half hour before we found it :)
PXL-20230613-225314243.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom