SlingTV is disappointing

So I just picked up DirectTV Now (testing for my parents - it's a long story...). Anyway, I've used DTVN for a couple of days on the Apple TV, iPad, Mac and iPhone and it has been working for me just fine for me.

I have 100/10 Mbps internet in the home and I have yet to see any dropout or interruptions. Frankly it's better than I expected. I saw Leo Laporte demoing it on one of his podcasts and he got repeated black screens. Maybe they've sorted out some of their teething problems?

The DTVN guide works OK. I'd really like to see DVR functionality before I'm willing to use it myself, but they've said it is on their roadmap.

I also tested on ATT LTE (at the Y today) and it worked fine on my iPhone 6S. When I started viewing it, the app said I was an ATT customer so I get free data usage when viewing DTVN when using their network. Nice. Both my folks have ATT so that might be good for them.

Well, the reviews are still terrible and it's still pretty much unwatchable here. During the day it's not *as* bad, but in the evening and at night (peak watching time), the buffering is terrible. You can't go more than about 30 seconds without a "freeze" of about 10 seconds or more. I am having the issue w/ the Fire TV and Fire Stick as well as the PC version. I wonder if the compression they are using is causing the issue? Nonetheless, I am renewing it when the "my additional" free trial is over.

Back
Top Bottom