So Good Remembering That I'm Retired

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Went out to dinner tonight with some classmates from grade school. I was the only one there who is retired. Some of the conversation went to their jobs and my retirement too (but not too much). I chatted with them and could help grinning from ear to ear. Also, nice too as some had to bug out and leave to catch traffic, plus w*rk day for them tomorrow. Once again, I just casually was grinning.

Sounds like the gloat meter was pinned to the max:D

Sounds like the gloat meter was pinned to the max:D

Yes. But I showed restraint as when the talk about me going on a cruise back in January, I didn't stay on the topic long. :)

Went out to dinner tonight with some classmates from grade school. I was the only one there who is retired. Some of the conversation went to their jobs and my retirement too (but not too much). I chatted with them and could help grinning from ear to ear. Also, nice too as some had to bug out and leave to catch traffic, plus w*rk day for them tomorrow. Once again, I just casually was grinning.

My DW and I usually do an annual trip with 2 other couples who are around the same age..and I am the only one retired. Our trip this year was to Aruba and when we about 2 days from coming home, they all whined about having to go back to w*rk. I didn't say too much, but I was pretty giddy inside about it. :D

With most of my friends, my retirement isn't discussed too much. I think most of them figure that since I am in law school then I will most certainly return to the workforce. Yeah, they can go ahead and think that. :dance:

I am fighting a nasty cold that has had me in its grips for a week. At least I'm not thinking about how far behind I'm getting at w*rk. It sucks being sick, not being able to enjoy the beautiful June weather, but it's a comfort to know I'm retired, and if I sit around all morning on the computer, blowing my nose, the world isn't busy out there digging a big hole for me to climb out of.

Been fighting a bad back for a few months and have spent the past three weeks flat on my back pretty much unable to get around without enduring some terrible pain. It is not the way I want to spend my retirement but it is nice not having to worry about work! Thankfully my wonderful wife has been able to be here for the most part to help me out. She only has a few more days of work and then she will be joining me in retirement bliss!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I am always thankful to be able to retire at 58 and never have to stand at the front door at Walmart through my later years.

Very few people I grew up with have worked past 60 years old. Many were teachers, police and fire fighters that put their time into their careers early. They also were not chasing the career paths that often requires moving from town to town and changing companies.

I had a couple of bosses that were "bought off" by competitors in their 50's, and the jobs didn't work out. They're going to have to work to full retirement age--rather than have cut out at 30 years and 55 years old. Chances are they would have got an early retirement package at MegaCorp anyway.

Last edited:
I love to see people who get to retire early and spend time doing what they want to do and I'll be glad to retire myself, can't wait, hoping to make it happen before 50....

Yes. But I showed restraint as when the talk about me going on a cruise back in January, I didn't stay on the topic long. :)

I was just teasing, am sure you were very gracious about it.

I was just teasing, am sure you were very gracious about it.

Oh, I knew you were just teasing. But I really did catch myself grinning and didn't want to look like I was gloating.

One of my former classmates was picking my brains about ER before other classmates showed up. Each time a conversation came up like "I heard so and so retired.." He'd have an expression of "darn everyone else is retiring, may I should think about that sooner than later too". I just sort of chuckled and told him you can't stay young forever. He was telling me about all the company mergers, and break ups going on and that it was really tough for awhile supervising over these different departments. I listened and grinned some more.

Oh, I knew you were just teasing. But I really did catch myself grinning and didn't want to look like I was gloating.

A true friend would be sad and almost crying for them. I hate to see people suffer.

(just kidding!)

Back
Top Bottom